Author Topic: Play to CRUSH!!!  (Read 810 times)

Offline runemaster

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vic_Rattlehead
Play to CRUSH!!!
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:33:49 pm »
was the motto of my favorite computer game ever:  SHADOWBANE

Shadowbane was great, there was no story aside from what the players made and it was centered around guild PVP. 

You made your own cities, and others tried to destroy them.  Compared to today's games, I would call it 'hardmode', because you lose your entire inventory when you die, (or you get to loot it from someone else).  Also, your only real home/spawn point is the city you or your guild leader founds, which you must work hard to build up from scratch.  But if you cross someone, or if they just don't like you, they can attack you and destroy everything and take the spot for themselves, leaving you homeless and your guild with nowhere to make weapons and armor.

I remember on eof the most memorable sieges.  Undead Lords (a guild) and a few allies (this is where I fit in) vs the Carebear Alliance (rest of the server), we were outnumbered at least two to one, but still took the city.

As a result of all the pre-siege shit talking, the city was renamed "Humble Pie" after being taken.

I miss that game.

I played SB from release to when they finally closed the game down.  There is still a project going to remake the game from dedicated ex-SB players, but I doubt it will ever come to fruition.

My dream would be to use the M&B engine to make a SB server, much like Strategus, but like a mmo type world.

Anyone else an ex-SB player?

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
Re: Play to CRUSH!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:44:57 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:01 pm »
I played for awhile and did a few city sieges.  It was pretty fun and definitely intense.  Having to hide in side streets to regen and hope that some schmoe didnt walk in on you and sound the alarm.

Wish there were more sandboxes out there, they are far more interesting than themepark games

Offline runemaster

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vic_Rattlehead
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:17 pm »
Sweet someone's heard of it!!

I figured there might be more people here considering how similar the concepts are, but I guess it's just too niche/old.