Author Topic: Weapon balance  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
Re: Weapon balance
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 04:03:50 am »
+2
Ginlkcubhsaws Ffub!
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Weapon balance
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 04:56:55 am »
+1
Almost every situation in game has a counter to it.  Every class has strengths and weaknesses.  There is literally nothing in the game that I have encountered that left me saying "that's really bullshit, there's nothing you can do to counter that".

I fear both of us keep posting the same things again and again. You always say as long as there is a counter things are fine, and I keep answering that there is a lot more needed than the mere existance of a counter. The percentage of this counter in a team is as important as the chances of a successfull counter and a lot more.

Being able to shoot a 250 protection value armour in the eye by hitting the ventail at the right spot and causing 400% damage does indeed represent a counter. But the ridiculous chances of success don't really make it a viable counter, and thus the item is still unabalnced. Another version would be that it can be countered by a special throwing dart. It's a three slot, one ammo and difficulty 8 weapon which kills such a player in his one slot 21 strength reuirement armour instantly. But guess what will be more on the field: those armours or those darts?

That's why the statement "It has a counter, so it is okay" is not really helpfull.

Most of the people who ask for nerfs are too stubborn or ignorant to overcome the problem by themselves, even though most of the time, that solution is able to be figured out and implemented by them in game.

Having discussions about balance, and equipment stats is perfectly fine, and I would encourage it.  Crying about something, when you have the power to change your actions and affect the outcome differently, and refusing to do so, is what you mostly see on the nerf/whine threads.

Forcing the people to change their class can never be a solution. I don't say it is what you are talking about, but often enough it is suggested, and if it's not made clear that changing the class can NEVER be accepted as a solution people will keep on posting that worthless answer.

And Zilsch, my default stance is that you don't need a nerf or a buff to the game to "balance" it out.  The game is pretty well balanced, and nothing is overpowered (in my mind).

I don't think that anything is overpowered (if anything, archers, cavalry, crossbows and throwers are UP... hell, perhaps even HAs!), either, although I think that 2hd weapons (mainly the swords) could need a slight speed reduction (stone me for that  :rolleyes: ). But being overpowered isn't always the source of imbalances. Currently many players complain about archers or cavalry because there are TOO MANY of them.

If we use the very plain but simple example of a pikeman vs. cavalry vs. archer, then one pikeman will defeat one cavalryman, one cavalryman will defeat one archer, and one archer will defeat one pikeman. [3 pikes > 3 cavalry > 3 archers > 3 pikes],
and [20 pikes > 20 cavalry > 20 archers > 20 pikes]. But [10 pikes < 20 cavalry < 40 archers > 10 pikes]. You see? One archer is not OP, and yet the class seems OP to the others. But I do agree that nerfing to lower the popularity is no solution, because once it is really nerfed down to reach the intended popularity of a class, it will be UP compared to the others. It needs other, more creative solutions. One of mine would be a change of the gamemode, for example.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)