Author Topic: Buckling the swash.  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Buckling the swash.
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:31:14 pm »
I'm giving swashbuckling a try with one of my alts and was wondering: What do the swashbucklers out there prefer for their stat distribution?

I'm considering 15/24 or 18/21 with, of course, maxed PS and ATH.  The alt is already 15/15 so 12/27 is out of the question until the next patch at least.  Armor will be light (~14.2 or so combined weight) and I have a preference for swords.  Also, [max WM and (max-3)IF] or [max IF and (max-3)WM]?  Leaning towards maxing WM.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
Re: Buckling the swash.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
1 handers glance a ton at 5 and lower ps. be careful with builds in that range. especially with sword
Leader of BS

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »
I'm working on a character like this too.  I was originally going to go with 18/21 but after trying 21/18 with a STF character, I'm leaning toward the higher strength.  I found that 6 athletics was plenty to get around the battlefield and outmaneuver almost anyone.  Then again I was wearing extremely light armor so you may be better off with a build like this:

Strength: 18
    Agility: 21

Hit points: 59

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 3
    Power Strike: 6
    Athletics: 7
    Weapon Master: 7

One Handed: 165

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:10:59 pm »
+4
24/15 is my build of choice. You got to keep in mind that the low weight and length makes sure the movement speed decrease from carrying the weapon is very minor. Especially for 1h, cause they get affected less anyhow to compensate for the heavy shield, which you don't have. You can find this information in WaltF4's posts. I'd say 5 athlethics as swashbuckler is a bit faster than 6 athlethics with a Danish. 

You should get athlethics until you feel the speed is decent enough. For me it was at 5 athlethics and I then put the rest in strength. You need to maximize your damage. 27/12 and 21/18 are builds that would probably be okay too, 15/24 and 18/21 would seem crappy to me, I have only tried 24/15 and then 24/18 at lvl 32 though. Especially with the low armor all that athlethics is just a complete waste. It would make some sense if you would go for a pick or a mace and need the speed to get in range. 5 ps with low armor and a sword, I wouldn't do it. I used 5 athlethics with a brigandine and it's fast enough.

Do not max wpf, your animations will be awesome and I get regular complaints about my speed with 4 WM. 3 is easily good enough. I do not recommend light armor, it has never really benefited any melee build. More armor equals better performance up to a point. Survivability is important, especially because you're an up close and personal class in most situations and those get teamhit a lot.

Whatever you do, get a 100+ range sword and learn to rightswing. It is the only way you'll even get to fight in regular group vs group situations in battle. Although you don't really have the enormous group vs group things with lots of pikes in NA that we see in EU, partly the reason why I like playing on NA, my class works better there.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:44:42 pm »
I have a 1h/shielder (polearms and riding too) at 18/18 with max ps and athletics, and I think that's the lowest power strike I'd ever want to have with a 1h.  I'd prefer having 7 if possible.

I'd probably suggest a 21/18 or 24/15 build for 1h/shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:04:13 pm »
Do what Bob and I do for swashbuckling and strengthbuckle a 30/9 build.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:59:52 am »
The above comments are correct. 18/21 or worse is more of a gimmick/for fun thing than trying to be very viable.

if you use a blunt/pierce weapon, the athletics helps you avoid getting overwhelmed, though. You need to be able to tank some of those arrows and take a hit or two in melee.