Author Topic: Hornbow vs Rus for melee  (Read 768 times)

Offline Kelden

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Kelden_Astralis
Hornbow vs Rus for melee
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:51:23 am »
Looking at the difference between these two bows and all I'm seeing is 3 less damage on the hornbow at masterwork. Anything else I'm missing in the difference between these bows?

I imagine 3 damage is pretty big for archery but the difference between 1 slot and 2 slots is being able to wield a one hander and melee which seems like a pretty big difference but so is 3 damage.

Any archers have opinions that have tried both or can vouch for the melee power of the one hander hornbow if your a capable melee fighter or the extra damage if your going to be an archer mine as well use the rus bow for best bow mentality.

Edit: I should add this would be for a build going over level 31 like 34/35 endgame kind of deal in which you could invest some decent points into power strike. Given this circumstance if you were a level 35 archer would you rather have the rus bow or the hornbow and a onehander (as in 1 slotter onehander)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:55:02 am by Kelden »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Hornbow vs Rus for melee
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:58:45 am »
+1
Hornbow used to be utterly fantastic, the obvious choice, but now I have to say the Rus wins out a lot of times due to the raw stopping power given how many people (at least on NA) use massive amounts of armor anymore and stack STR and IF.

Remember that those extra 3 points can stack up fast, as unlike PS which adds 8% per, PD adds 14%. So for me (8PD 166 wpf) shooting at someone with 40 armor:

MW Horn + MW Bods: Avg 33.4 Max 46.1
MW Rus + MW Bods: Avg 39.7 Max 53.5

Enough to make me happy.

Besides, the Rus Model looks better and sexier to me then the Horn. It is really personal preference.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:44:03 am »
+1
40 armour Tod???

Don't give the boy false hope, both you and I know the flaw starts at 75 and ends at 76.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:06 am »
+1
40 armour Tod???

Don't give the boy false hope, both you and I know the flaw starts at 75 and ends at 76.

If you wear anything less than full plate, you just don't belong on NA servers.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:35:05 am »
Well in that case, it is even better of a difference  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.