Author Topic: Specialized archer: Hard hitter / Fast runner / 2h (lvl 31 build)  (Read 5225 times)

Offline KingKessler

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • I am a singer now, later I go town cryer business
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Schildbruder_Berlusconi
Archer: Hard hitter / Fast runner / 2h

Specs
Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 21
Hit points: 53
Skills to attributes: 6
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 0
Athletics: 7
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 6
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 93
Polearm: 1
Archery: 150
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

Short verbal explanation
This build gives you maximum damage / maximum speed / maximum close combat damage simultaneously. With this build it is easy to get a positive kill/death-ration in battle servers.

With the latest archery restrictions it has become two things: On the offensive archery became a close combat skill and on the defensive it became crucial to effectively soften up the opponent.

Concerning levelling
As archer you cover a support role while levelling on cRPG battle servers. In fact neither your archery nor your close combat skills will have great impact on the teams outcome until level 24. At level 26 you will be able to get mediocre to excellent results. Reaching level 28 you re archery build feels complete. Level 31 is for higher athletics (7) and higher accuracy. Concerning accuracy level 28 is enough already. 

How to use the specialization?
in general
- for skirmishes and fights in bottleneck roads: lower your mouse sensitivity, go in close (5-8m), hit and avoid immediate close combat with your nike shoes
- in bigger and open battles: hit everything which hasnt its guard up on 3 or stay a bit back taking archers down

vs. archers
- you are able to take any enemy archer down in 2,5 hits
- you have the same accuracy
- you outrun incoming arrows better

vs. 1h/shield
- athletics will do the trick: dirty running foot-work
- hit them from the sides

vs. 2h
- piece of cake
- you outrun a lot of them (except ninja and 2h-spammer)

vs. cav (your natural predator, cavalry is mostly archivore)
- hard and accurate horse hitter
- athletics help in avoiding lance attacks
- follow pikes and spears, crawl on buildings, use the map (hills, fences, etc) (actually cavalry has the most influence on your positioning around the map. with cavalry around your paths on the battlefield is bound to a lot of restrictions. avoiding cavalry is the hardest part to learn.)

weapons of choice
there are only four bows of use: longbow, rus bow, horn bow and tatar bow. horn bow and tatar bow can be used in the same role by your own preference.

longbow
the main characteristics of a longbow is that it slows you down, down and down.
use it to dish out damage from a static, defensive position against high armor targets. the longbow has quite a punch.
120 wpf / 6 pd / no armor at all / no close combat weapon: you get a mediocre accuracy using the longbow at short and middle distances
140 wpf / 6 pd / no armor : longer distances and very good general accuracy
150 wpf / 6 pd / low armor (pilgrim stuff): still good accuracy

rus bow
close combat, lots a movement and high damage against mid armored targets. this is the choice to get some frags before level 27-31
120 wpf / 6 pd / no armor : better than longbow, first time you can use a bow with good results

horn bow / tatar bow
for big battles with three slots full of arrows and accurate counter-archering. it works for close combat, but you wont get that many frags. you are able to spam enemy defensive positions too with the inherent shooting speed.

Levelling

Concerning levelling there are three core targets which you aim for.

1. 140 wpf (accuracy with rus bow)
2. 6 PD (hard hitting) / 6 ATHL (ability to run)

For maximum amusement do the following order
1. 120 wpf
2. 6 PD
3. 5 ATHL
This should be doable within level 26.
Important: Only invest up to 5 PS. You need this 6th point to get ATH/WM to 6 once you reach it. So save it.

Do some research at
http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm

while levelling you get a lot more of kills if you take a long spear and stab already engaged opponents. another thing is that "practicing" your bowery skill at low levels doesnt help you anything for late level rus bow and long bow. thats because rus bow and long bow will be completely different and a lot easier to use than those crappy early level bows.

Additional pieces of information:

- use Tatar arrows. Bodkin arrows are nearly double the price, +~15% the damage improvement.
- get at least 55 wpf in 1h or 2h or pole, to have some close combat fun and to save money when picking up weapons. even without any PS, with basic blocking and low armor weight, you re able to take down those softened-up melee guys
- get accustomed to horn bow (strat battles). In battles people tend to provide horn bow instead of tatar bow. if theres enough money, battle starters provide you with rus bow every time.
- tatar bow is imo better for standard crpg server-levelling (lower cost => more money saving, more accuracy than horn bow, damage can be ignored because the damage difference isnt neglectable compared to horn bow)
- major upset: in strat battles where nomad bow and lower are provided, you can take any 2h-weapon and spam. although 0 PS you still be more useful. because it takes 6-8 hits to take a middle-armored target down.
- concerning general levelling: joining a server team 2 is always better for an archer. then learn to take team 1 as an exception to the rule.
- make use of small ladder, ladder and medium ladder. in several occasions the ladder-difference is the straw that breaks the camels back in your teams favor.
- xp-wise as a loner its best to play in servers in the following order:
A) Battle > Siege > DTV
B) many players > few players
- fun- and practice-wise join servers in this order
a) siege > battle
b) few players > many players
- other players avoiding your arrows
once most seasoned and experienced players know that you could be aiming at them. they know how to dodge your arrows. literally it is easy and unrealistic. they are like Neo in the matrix, except that the matrix is readable for everyone since the missile speed patch. what to do? pick left or right and shoot on the spot where Neo is going to be.
- mouse sensitivity
like for all 3D-shooters theres this general rule:
a) 100% your mousepad distance (left to right) is 180-270° turning in the game.
b) no mouse acceleration => faster learning-curve in accomodating to your mouse settings and for your prefered bow
it depends of your real-life aiming-/movement-style too. generally it should be equally balanced between wrist, forearm and arm aiming. though i ve got the feeling that the mount and blade-engine focuses mainly on wrist and forearm
- screen resolution:
the higher the better. my personal experience is that with 1024x768 i have big problems to hit anything. with 1900x1200 it gets easy compared to the lower setting. go the highest without cutting your fps.
- neither take 1h nor polearms. why? 2h weapons are just faster. picking up one after running with 6 athl, then block once and spam with good movement usually does the trick on your close-combat-hunter. pole is too heavy and too slow. 1h is slower and has less weapon reach in average than the average 2h-weapon.
- as archer you can cope with a high percentage of cavalry players. but if the enemy team has a high percentage of archers, archery gets very hard. usually the own you with higher armor, higher range and higher damage. facing a lot of xbowers means to adapt your playing style again.
- fun factor no. 1:
use high to extreme high armor and take a 2h spammer weapon: there you are as a 2h-melee fighter (fast movement speed / swing speed / hard to kill).

starting equipment level 26:
general
2x tatar arrows
longbow or rus bow

static / camping position (house, wall, tower)
long bow

more movement
rus bow

losing team
tatar or horn bow

2h weapon
mace
or
langes messer (its a 1h weapon used in secondary mode)

this should cover all the basic stuff concerning this build. i hope you re having more fun with your archer and never forget 1h/shielders and polearm-guys do the dirty work
Berlusconi

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:47:37 am by KingKessler »
Silvio Berlusconi born 29 September 1136 is an Italian archer, the current Archer Minister of Italy, as well as an entrepreneur. He is also known under the nickname Il Cavaliere (literally, The Knight).

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
Re: Specialized archer: Hard hitter / Fast runner (lvl 31 build)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:40 pm »
Before the last patch I tried PD 7 and 145 wpf. I did great at level 29 with 6 PD but as soon as I went to 7 PD I could not hit anything. I don't know if things have changed with this patch, but I think you need an amount of wpf to go along with PD to keep accurate. It got pretty frustrating so I ended up respec'ing and will stick with 6 PD.

Now after the patch, changes to archery and being level 25 I'm worse than ever but hopefully will improve.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:56 am »
Baa, you want to run fast with ath 6?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:10:22 am »
Excellent build and guide, +1

NA player perhaps? In EU, athletics 6 does not allow you to outrun everyone... strength builds aren't as popular here.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:34 pm »
+1
Good guide. Just my 2 cents.

1. Well, tbh I do not understand how you can be effective in battle with nomad or tatar bow. I can imagine this on siege, in defenders team, with height advantage.
2. In current situation all bows below hornbow is good only for peasant hunting. Even with nonloomed hornbow\arrows you still need 2-3 arrows to kill peasant in battle.
3. Do not forget about arrows weight nerf. You can't outrun polearmer (24\12 with 4 athletics in light armor) while you have two quivers of arrows and bow.

Your build will work great on sieges with high-tier bows and arrows. Also good as antitank tool (with longbow\bodkins). But you will suffer against ninja, fast shielders, cavalry.

Offline Nick_Trano

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:08:58 am »
I'm following your guide but I have a question-- should I use the Yumi or the Longbow when I reach 6 power draw? I'm at 4 now.

Offline KingKessler

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:38:54 am »
hey there, i have never used the yumi. the yumi seems to be a horse archer bow. compared to rus bow and long bow he is inferior (statswise).

Silvio Berlusconi born 29 September 1136 is an Italian archer, the current Archer Minister of Italy, as well as an entrepreneur. He is also known under the nickname Il Cavaliere (literally, The Knight).

Offline Hisagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saints of War
  • Game nicks: SoW_BS_Toby_Moogle_King, sK_BlackHawk
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 02:57:34 am »
Statistically the Horn bow seems to be the better choice overall compared to the yumi.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hisagi's Den of Gewdies

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:51:25 am »
hey there, i have never used the yumi. the yumi seems to be a horse archer bow. compared to rus bow and long bow he is inferior (statswise).

The yumi suffers a severe disadvantage as a HA bow due to the 6 pd req. One would have to deviate from the standard 15/24 HA build in order to use it, sacrificing a point in HA skill.

Offline KingKessler

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
yeah, i didnt see yumi a lot either. i think this bow is just here for the completeness of the HA isntrumentarium. until someone comes and proves otherwise by doing a new extremely pwning archer build using the yumi bow

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 05:22:18 pm »
Does weapon weight affect running speed that significantly? Because an archer with light armour and 6 athletics should be able to outrun a fully armoured enemy with similar, if not more athletics.

All in all a good guide, perhaps move this to the guide section so it dosen't get lost in random newbie questions.

Offline Sirfracis

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Knight_Hagleigh_RG_of_Acre
Re: Specialized archer: Hard hitter / Fast runner / 2h (lvl 31 build)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:35:02 am »
I know this is over a year later, but I was wondering if you were suggesting only to be hybrid when using the horn or tartar bows, only having the mace then a 2 slot bow leaves only 1 slot for arrows, and this could be quite a disadvantage.

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »
I love people especially archers who use a 'losing-team-equipment'.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »
+1
I love people especially archers who use a 'losing-team-equipment'.
Agreed, 'hey were losing, lets use shitty gear, that will help!'

You should use cheaper gear when youre winning so that you make money to go heavier when you are losing later on.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:45 pm »
Agreed, 'hey were losing, lets use shitty gear, that will help!'

You should use cheaper gear when youre winning so that you make money to go heavier when you are losing later on.

These days I just use the same gear always while losing money, and grind money on an alt.