Author Topic: IP ban for autoblockers  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: IP ban for autoblockers
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 07:48:16 pm »
Godwin strikes again.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:54 pm »
Yup, I was comparing the capital punishment analogy to something akin to Godwin's Law. Its just not comparable when we're talking about computer games

But anyway I feel like a spammer in this thread. Leshma talk about IP bans and Panos again
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:39 pm »
A few days ago I joined a server with autoblock on (because it was the only native server with players (thanks chadz for draining all the big ls)).

Guess what, autoblockers are pretty easy to defeat. Push left mouse button and hold it, block their swing with right mouse button (for all of you who have forgotten how to block with all the back-pedaling, dancing and running in circles with your 8+ athletics, right mouse button does the trick), then fingers away from mouse, done. Thats it.
If you fail here, get a weapon with crushthrough, or a horse and lance and press x.
If melee isnt your thing at all, go ranger.

Also, permaban P.anos. There should at least one guy in Southern Europe have time to make some money for Mistress Angela Merkel. Seriously, this guy is more often online than Bjord. Or maybe I just dont know all of Bjords alts. Is that it? Ah wha who cares. Ban Pano.s!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
+2
Trying to permaban cheaters and prevent them from getting new accounts is a massive waste of time anyway.
IP bans can be bypassed by a child, hardware bans can be bypassed by anyone who has decent programming knowledge (and nothing stops him from releasing his work so that all scrubs can use it with a double-click).

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:20 pm »
+2
There is no need for a presumption of innocence with cheaters in a computer game. They already made it obvious they can't be trusted and may have got away with anything else.
So, we should execute thieves 'cuss once they get out of jail you're certain they might steal something again?
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »
+1
So capital punishment, focusing on its function being to remove someone from society (not talking about the moral implications of killing someone or how it is looked upon by religious affiliates or anything of the sort), is without a doubt, identical in functionality to permabanning someone from crpg- or any gaming community. You're simply removing someone from a community in both situations. I have yet to see you even remotely dispute this fact that I have clearly pointed out. This analogy is nothing like what you're asserting, as I have stated several times that the focus is not on the act of killing someone, but on the function as a removal of society. You are the one Godwin is cringing at.

Note: It's probably worth noting that my initial statement was made mockingly, and you blew it completely out of proportion. I should have changed it to being akin to exile, to ensure you wouldn't take it as more than just an analogy. Also, Capital Punishment and Exile are also analogous in exactly the same context as mentioned above, whether or not you can get past the fact that one is about killing.

Furthermore, the fact that this is just a video game, should only serve to benefit the side of leniency. If it's just a video game, and not really a big deal, why does it even matter so much that a guy cheats? Why could you not take the "risk"(Is it REALLY that much of a risk?) of gambling on his sanity to see whether or not he learned his lesson. It's not as if he's a mass murderer and just killed 15 people at a supermarket. What's the worst that could happen? It's just a video game after all.

Repeat offenders are one thing, but this thread isn't only about repeat offenders, and of course, my initial statement was about a guy banned once for autoblocking. Yes, that statement implies that for this situation at least, I do not consider his 3 months of usage more than just one offense. Indeed I believe the duration of the usage should affect the severity of the punishment, but not that it is itself, multiple offenses(or maybe more accurately, that it should only be considered as one offense).
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline betard_lulz

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 10:56:44 pm »
GAMES ARE SRS BSNS
Please everyone talking about permabanning and hardware bs please please please STFU. chEATERS GONNA CHEAT, LEGITS GONNA LEGIT, cryers gonna cry. at the end of the day just trust that the cheaters will eventually be caught and be happy with that.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:41 am »
I can't believe so many people support this sort of "Zero Tolerance", "Zero Forgiveness" policy. You could get drunk, find and install a cheat in 5 minutes, use it for 10, then potentially get screwed forever all because of a single 15 minute period. And somehow, that's called Justice? Better yet, you should be banned in every game you play because of that one mistake?

If this is "Justice", if it's what's "Right", I'd gladly forsake all administrative/leadership responsibilities for the rest of my life. Clearly, there would be something wrong with my head.

Forget things like compassion, forgiveness and tolerance; my gaming time is far too important to ever have to suffer even a ten minute interruption.

I hope you're trolling Cooties, because I face-palmed and it would be unjust for me to have otherwise done so.

Stop posting such sane things Tydeus, we're trying to whip up a lynch-mob here :wink:

Honestly though without any sort of Right Wing funniness, I am 100% confident that no one here wants to permanently exclude people who just once did a mistake, nor ban them from all games they're involved in. Obviously no one -- I truly hope that despite the casual forum trolling in cheating threads -- would be in favour of punishing small mistakes. What everyone is up in arms about is repeat offenders, those who share their cheats with others and get them to use it, those who make an evening out of cheating and harassing people in various games by organizing such 'events' in their cheat-communities, which happens much more than what everyone think, go check out LiveStream.com and other streaming sites once in a while to see how cheaters glorify themselves in plentiful of games. Those are the ones who should have taken all their games away from them, I wholeheartedly support that.

Everyone in this forum always jumps at one or another extreme, from both sides, even you Tydeus, you took what I wrote and went for the most extreme response, that what I wrote was about punishing this potential poor drunk kid who just once did a mistake and cheated in a game, obviously that is not the case - and that goes for anyone who is serious about more severe punishments for cheaters - in a general sense for overall gaming.

I highly doubt there should (or could) be done more regarding cheating in C-RPG, everything seems quite under control and loads of respect for how the development team handles the whole ordeal, they actually care tons about people despite that they'd never admit to that and that you get the opposite feeling reading their forum posts :rolleyes:

Now stop ruining our right wing fun in the forum :mad:
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »
I am 100% confident that no one here wants to permanently exclude people who just once did a mistake, nor ban them from all games they're involved in.

I'm afraid that's at least 99.xx% then. I have zero compassion for people who cheat. I have been angered by people who do it so much when I played big title games like BF2 and MW2/BlackOps that my heart turned into a callous husk.
They will never learn until you cause them so much psychological trauma that the sheer thought of cheating causes them physical pain. A bit of a clockwork orange needed, aye? The ultraviolence and in-out-in-out completely and indefinitely an impossible task. Until you fall out of a window, that is.

When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:40 pm »
No time for the old in-out, love. I've just come to read the meter.