Author Topic: Windows Services  (Read 568 times)

Offline McNoodles

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Windows Services
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:47:03 pm »
Hey all,

This is my question: is it possible to have different windows services set as enabled/disabled depending on which windows login you use?

When I hop on my computer for gaming (and only gaming) I have found that I can improve performance dramatically if I terminate multiple windows services. However, as many of the services I disable are related to security I have to reboot or re-enable them before browsing the web or any other number of tasks. I was wondering if there was a way to link a particular service profile with a particular login account to make this less laborsome. If anyone has alternative ideas for how to accomplish the same goal I'm open it.

McNoodles

ps. i know disabling services is risky buisness, no need to reiterate.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:48:24 pm by McNoodles »

Offline Tuonela

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuonela, Merc_Tuoni
Re: Windows Services
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:04:03 pm »
There is a program which temporarily closes unnecessary windows services, Game Booster, though I am not sure if this is what you are looking for

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Services
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:54:46 am »
Well if you have Windows XP you can go to Start >> Run >> services.msc, then right click the service >> Options >> Log On tab and on the bottom you will see "You can enable or disable this service for the hardware profile listed below".

Problem is, Vista and Windows 7 don't have hardware profiles anymore. Not sure if this would help anyway.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:56:41 am by Vibe »