Poll

Which class should I play as based on fun, effectiveness and getting the best out of my money?

Heavy armoured Infantrymen
16 (64%)
Heavy armoured cavalrymen
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Deciding between heavy armed cavalry or heavy armed infantry?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Banzai!!!

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BlackFist_Robin_Longstride
Im coming closer now to finishing my first gen and so because of this I have been thinking about what I will go as my next gen and so I am debating whether for next generation to play as cavalry or as an infantrymen.

For this first gen I have been running around lately with the poleaxe and have had allot of fun with it and so im considering for second gen to use this poleaxe but instead of wearing heraldic mail surcoat I would run around with full plate armour instead.

On the otherhand Im also considering playing as cavalry instead because I had fun playing as cavalry when I respeced once in the past and so I was thinking of maybe for next generation to ride around with a large warhorse and also wearing heavy armour (perhaps not plate but transitional armour instead)

So in your opinion which would you recommend to play as based on fun, effectiveness and getting the best out of my money?

Heavy Cavalry

or

Heavy Infantry

(Side note: I will be funding next generation with the money I make selling my loompoint which I have already decided on definatly doing).  :D

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Deciding between heavy armed cavalry or heavy armed infantry?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:39:57 pm »
+1
hybrids have more fun

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:20:24 pm »
I would go cav, but pick a build that is also good on foot. You will have slightly lower hitpoints (no ironflesh but max athletics), but having the option to go either cav or on foot is nice.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:25:38 pm »
Well you can be "hybrid" cav, basically an infantry build that can ride horses but basically fight just as well on foot. Pretty easy (too easy) since cav only costs 5 skills points... Either style, 1h, lancer, or polearm slash (hafted blade) works.

BTW both mounted and heavy armour cost a lot... be prepared to bleed money. Any gear setup over 35-40k cost and you will probably be losing money.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »
I'm a "heavy-medium" armor wearer who rides a courser, total cost: 59,093 Max Upkeep: 4,132.

Nordic Warlord helmet (48 head armor)
Heraldic Mail with Surcoat (38 body/18 leg)
Wisby Gauntlets (5 body)
Mail Boots (35 leg)
Courser
Heavy Lance
Broad 1h battle axe
knightly heater shield

I usually get a fair share of good multipliers and I still manage to lose money consistently.  Some gens with this build I've lost 40-50 thousand gold, some gens I've only lost 15-25k gold.  And I'm using a cheaper horse than a 5 riding "heavy" horse, and not using "heavy" armor. 

If you decide to go heavy cavalry, I'd suggest not getting more armor than I'm wearing.  The heraldic mail looks ugly, but stat-wise is my favorite armor for cavalry (18 leg armor).  Use good leg armor on horse, helmet is probably not even necessary unless you plan on being dismounted a lot.  Also gloves are nice, but you don't need to wear expensive gloves, mail mittens (3 body armor) still help.

If you sell your loompoint (say for 700k) and buy a +1 item for 450k, that left over money SHOULD hopefully last you 2 or 3 generations and you will be able to keep looming the first item another 2 times to get a masterwork.  I'd suggest looming either your weapon first (if infantry) or your horse first if cavalry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:36:00 pm »
If you go cav use a destrier, it's way better than the armored horses.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44:42 pm »
21/15 70 hp 100% 1h or polearm WPF
0 athletics for better effectiveness on horseback
7 if
7 ps
5 sh
5 ri
5 wm

A good advice is to keep an eye on your gold. You can lose 500.000k quite fast if using heavy armor and a heavy horse each round.
The destrier is a good alternative to the far more expensive but still not so much heavier horses.