Author Topic: Noob needing help with Horse Archer character build?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline MrDemonic

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Noob needing help with Horse Archer character build?
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:47 am »
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to cRPG, I was just wondering if there was a good character build for a Horse Archer, with a bit of foot melee incase the horse gets killed.

I know there are the "Solid Builds" in the sticky thread, but I just wanted to ask everyones opinion on this. I still am trying to learn all the abbreviations for all the skills and so on.

Here's what I have so far;

Strength:7
Agility:12

One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Throwing: 1
Crossbow: 1
Archery: 84

Weapon Master: 1
Athletics: 0
Riding: 3
Iron Flesh: 0
Shield: 0
Horse Archery: 2
Power Strike: 1
Power Draw: 2
Power Throw: 0

PS. How do I find out what Armour and weapons can I use? I mean I buy new weapons and armour and then I can't use them, but it doesn't tell me what requirement I need to fill out.

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:17:16 am by MrDemonic »

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Noob needing help with Horse Archer character build?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »
I can't say much to HA's except that its a hard class for your first gen. It also might cost you a lot of repairs for horse and arrows, so you might better go for another class.

PS. How do I find out what Armour and weapons can I use? I mean I buy new weapons and armour and then I can't use them, but it doesn't tell me what requirement I need to fill out.

Armor, helmet, shoes, gauntlets req. = strength
Infantry weapons + crossbow req. = strength
bows req = power draw
throwing req = power throw
horse req = riding
shield req = shield
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:52:59 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »
U rage quit horsearchery anyway if u dont have any looms.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:37:59 pm »
Don't do it. Like the other guy said, you will just be wasting time because you WILL respec. I wouldn't use cav at all until you have a good chunk of cash saved...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:39:34 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline MrDemonic

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:48:59 pm »
So what would you suggest for a new cRPG player? I've played a fair bit of Warband. I had another character that was going into Crossbows, but I thought it would be a good idea to start over with this one :/

I'd want something that was enjoyable to play with and that doesn't make rage swell up inside me from annoyingly cheap kills haha.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »
If you are good at manual blocking, polearms or 2 handed; this is probably the best way to go if you are good at manual blocking.. You can check out the solid builds thread stickied here. Personally I like 1 handed/shield with throwing. Keeps me safe, and I can destroy cavalry charging me with 1 throwing axe.

I would wear light/medium armor and buy a good weapon whatever you choose and save money.

Solid builds
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html

Good 1 handed/hybrid builds and other cool builds
(click to show/hide)
Hello

Offline MrDemonic

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »
Cheers for that, I doubt i'm good at manual blocking, always have it set to auto in Warband, think i'll go with the 1 handed/shield with throwing. That sounds good, maybe later after a bit of experience I'll expand out to something more unique.

Also, why light or medium? Wouldn't it be better to wear the most protective armour there is? I know you'd be slow but you'll be able to take a lot of hits.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »
No, it's expensive to purchase, costs a ton in upkeep, slows you down and lowers your WPF. If you do decide to use one of those hybrid throwing builds, get your throwing skill up to where you can use heavy throwing axes (around 87-88 I think) early, otherwise when leveling slows down you will have to wait to utilize them. I'm wearing Huscarl Helmet, Light Kuyak, Mail Gauntlets, Leather Boots and using that Thane build, if I got much heavier my throwing is hurt.

You won't be taking a lot of hits in heavy armor, if someone like Serge or Miley etc hits you, you're dead, even in heavy armor. The goal is to use that shield/footwork and pray to God you don't get hit and someone comes to save you.

Your weapons are the most important thing and what you should invest the most in.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:51:57 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:17:00 am »
Even with no manual blocking at all, you would do much much better in heavy armor swinging a greatsword randomly, than you do in horse archery with no looms. Watch for your teammates of course :)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:12:24 am »
You could always make a skip the fun horse archer alt.  They start out at level 30 with 10k gold, so you'd just have to use cheap stuff for a little while and then you're all set.  You can also respec their stats now and keep the gold, so it's just a good way of trying out any build you're thinking of making before spending lots of time creating it with your main character.

I tried a skip the fun 15/24 horse archer, it's accurate but not much hitting power so I'm making a 18/21 horse archer with a regular alt.  Horse archers used to be really popular so they made them a lot weaker than they are in native.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:05 am »
you're in for a world of pain