Poll

Stamina bar, your opinion.

Yes, I like it.
23 (42.6%)
No, dont need.
31 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: April 24, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Author Topic: Suggestion: Stamina bar and mechanics for it.  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Suggestion: Stamina bar and mechanics for it.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 11:28:52 pm »
Well, let me say this first : I don't care either way - I don't have a problem with spammers.    Becs, sure :)  But spammers, no.
I am not the one proposing a stamina system, im merely commenting on the idea that the original poster brought up so, "learn to play" comments are not useful.

** What I've been discussing is I don't think that a stamina system (although possibly NOT a good idea) would necessarily mean "DOOM TO CRPG" as some people are saying.

I find it an interesting idea - and from an impartial viewpoint I think it could be a good addition to the game - I welcome constructive arguments to the contrary (some of which have been made).  But as I have mentioned, I can see both sides of it.  If anything, I find value in it from a realism discussion standpoint. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:38:51 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:56 am »
someone has already did that --> http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=216424.0

FEATURES:

-The player will get a value in fatigue based on their heatlh points and modified for agility skill.
    -New stamina bar between health bar and horse bar.
    -Now the player gets tired if he runs, dodges, jumps ...
    -The fatigue is a graduate of the weight carried by the player above (for example, a Saxon warrior equipped with chain mail, shield, sword and helmet will tire faster than a nude Pictish raider)
    -Each hit or block tires according to the weight of the weapon.
    -The player will hear himself breathing when he's very tired, and will suffer exhaustion as his stamina bar reaches 0, being easy victim to his rivals.
    -Saving stamina, decide when to hit or defend, when to charge or waiting for the enemy to save energy ... will be significant.
    -The light troops take on new importance as a support to the heavy infantry, or even as a force of harassment.
    -In our tests we found that the strategic possibilities multiply.

seems good to me , the problem could be the balance .
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spanish

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 106
  • 2h Cav Star of the year award winner.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The official Drama Llama of Knights_Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Spaniard, BowPersona, Span
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 01:51:14 am »
+2
Adding a stamina bar would make the game less skill based. A single player would be completely screwed versus multiple opponents (more so than is already the case). That would be bad.

You forget that they are limited by their stamina too so if that last player was agility based wth high WPF he may tire much slower than the others and have an advantage that he normally wouldn't have and be able to pull through. Agility players always have more of an option when it comes to engaging an opponent or not.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:52:49 am by Spanish »
My horse is named pebbles and we like to try.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:49 am »
You forget that they are limited by their stamina too so if that last player was agility based wth high WPF he may tire much slower than the others and have an advantage that he normally wouldn't have and be able to pull through. Agility players always have more of an option when it comes to engaging an opponent or not.
You're pitting a single stamina bar against the stamina bars of multiple opponents. Even if the player takes out 1-2 guys, he's likely to be exhausted afterwords (assuming they were cautious, and actually blocked a few attacks), leaving him screwed against the remaining enemies. The fight would be determined by an arbitrary gameplay mechanic, rather than by how well the players play.

If a player is alive, then he should be a threat. There should be no limit on the number of enemies a single player can effectively kill or wound.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:34:16 am by Vodner »

Offline NikMac

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
  • Blow coke - till choke!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Best ever!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 03:14:24 am »
Also, a lot of ppls here accociate empty stamina bar with disability to attack. But I suggested another - read again. After stamina ends, U still can attack, but a bit slower, yes. Like if u have 1 - 25 wpf. Btw, even with 1 wpf u can be very effective against spammers/feinters/shielders/archers/etc. Use skill, not spam, keep right distance. Personally I dont have problems with spammers or any other type of players even with 1 wpf.

Also, I like idea that stamina will not affect blocks and have dependance of agi\WM.

P.S. -6 Votes for my topic: check, who voted "-". That's what I call spammers rage - even spammed with "-" XD
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:30:41 am by NikMac »
If you want to fuck the sky
You must teach your dick to fly!

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 04:01:36 am »

still people are acting like their character once "out of stamina" would have to go run and hide for the rest of the round.
if it was badly made, then yes stamina system could result in that....

but in my mind, any balanced stamina system which is doing what its goal is would regen so fast that this scenario where you can't do anything would not happen unless you SPAMMMMMMED with a great axe for 8-12 seconds and even if you did that you would regen enough stam to swing again within a couple seconds.

and arbitrary mechanic?  stamina?  :?
on the contrary a stamina system would be less arbitrary than much of the balancing that is being attempted now.   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:03:32 am by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 05:54:59 am »
+1
but in my mind, any balanced stamina system which is doing what its goal is would regen so fast that this scenario where you can't do anything would not happen unless you SPAMMMMMMED with a great axe for 8-12 seconds and even if you did that you would regen enough stam to swing again within a couple seconds.
If you can 'spam' with a great axe for 8-12 seconds, then either you are killing a lot of enemies, or you are in a duel with a decent opponent. Either way, you shouldn't be slowed down.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:36 am »
+1
Maybe if this adds gameplay elements instead of limiting what used to be unlimited resources. 'Ammo' on swinging doesn't seem too attractive to me.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »
+3
If weapon weight is factored in, it could make lighter weapons more interesting. If difficulty is factored in, it could make low tier weapons more interesting. If overall equipment weight is factored in, it could make light armors more interesting (and maybe heavy armors could be restored to pre-Paul's nerf situation as a consequence). It would stop 2h noobs from spamming other noobs and reaching top ranks in the score table. It would force hiltslash ninjas to block a return strike from time to time. It would stop great maul spam completely.

On the other hand, I don't see many negative effects. But I agree that it would be very hard to balance. But it might be worth it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:22:08 pm by zagibu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Morty

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:41 pm »
you dont have to add the entire thing at once.  You can start it in phases.

Phase 1: The Begining
Athletics x 10 = Stamina.  Sprinting increases speed 15% at the cost of 10 stamina a second, at 0 weight.  Jumping takes 1/3 of your total stamina.  Make a formula for how weight interacts with stamina usage and recovery.  Maybe even throw in some shit that middle level players 10-20 get bonus to stamina since they're technically YOUNGER. etc etc

Phase 2:  Held attacks start to deplete stamina slowly after 1 second

Phase 3:  Swings now take stamina.  Formula for weight of weapon & your WPF determine stamina used.  Perhaps missed swings use MORE stamina.  Feints also use some % of a normal swings sta

Phase4:  Parrys take stamina away from blocker based on dmg & weight of weapon attacking them.  Shield blocks of melee weapons takes sta.  Holding shield up slowly drains sta.

this is not fucking brain surgery.  many other games have stamina/endurance systems.

It's been my opinion for a really long time that a stamina bar would clean up several issues with cRPG in one fell swoop (after issues have been worked out).

I think that's one thing that Age of Chivalry had absolutely right.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 12:22:21 am »
stamina was not included into original warband thought it was disucced many times on beta forums. the main reson was that active/offensive players should have higher edge over turtles, backpedallers and defensive ones that will just wait until enemy looses stamina to do anything.

i think it was absolutely right decision.

no stamina at all is good.

(btw this idea comes up about 1 per month)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:23:25 am by Beauchamp »
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 12:48:25 am »
Agree with Saul