Author Topic: Most underused class of player  (Read 4869 times)

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
Re: Most underused class of player
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 07:46:07 pm »
10PD Longbow archers (main characters).

I only know me and I'm not playing for months :wink:

Offline Deathwhisper

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:51 pm »
I've been playing a 36/3 build using long weapons (scythe, fauchard, bill) and loomed quarterstaff. Scythe and fauchard make people rage especially when you kill them with jumpswings, so it's always fun to listen to them afterwards (although good players counter it easily). Some even started a rage thread to nerf scythe because of builds like this using it (http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,18669.0.html), and it did work.

I can do as much if not even more damage (depending on speed bonus / angle) with my quarterstaff than people using danish with lower PS. On top of that it's very fast, as long as a poleaxe, got knockdown (low weight but knockdown chance also depends on damage dealt so it does happen relatively often), cheap, 1 slot and thus useful for lots of builds as backup weapon, as long as you've got decent PS ofc.

You're very slow as a pure str build like this but you can deal very high damage with pretty much any weapon. You might need time to get used to it but it surely is fun and underused (at least with the weapons I mentionned).

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:54 pm »
High agi build with a dagger and low armor. Possibly combined with throwing (low pt) to stun and annoy people. If you know how to chamber and use your wits you can get some really hilarious kills  :wink:

Maybe something like this?
(click to show/hide)

Or maybe a shotgun fighter with an arbalest for sniping, normal/ligh crossbow for shotgunning and 1 stack of bolts and a 0slot stick  :lol:
(click to show/hide)

Offline martyrAD

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42:09 am »
Why not a cudgel?

thats what i ment, lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
How i get kills...

Offline Pantalones

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 03:37:17 am »
Hmm hoplite ish builds come to mind.

How about a bamboo spear wielding, one slot shield using hoplite build with a shortened spear as a secondary weapon? Rare enough and still very effective, especially with all the cav around lately.

This is how I normally play except I use the ashwood pike instead of a bamboo spear. I wouldn't call it very effective and it would be a stretch to call it effective. I find it very difficult to play due to the mighty downblock and nerfed damage/speed when using a shield. There is always the option of not using the shield but then why use a spear when you can use a poleaxe of some sort. The shortened spear is fast but lacks range. I get outranged by two handers all of the time and even light armored opponents take three stabs on average to kill. Heavy armored players will laugh at you and then split your skull. Also, you will get spammed to hell by 2h's as soon as they see you.

As an alternative, you could try what I am trying at the moment which is a hoplite/thrower build, but tbh so far it's gimmicky at best and throwing lances require 21 strength which means only a maximum of 15 agility and very light armor.

Hoplite's really need an overhead attack of some sort to make the downblock not 100% effective against frontal stabs.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 06:03:09 am »
This is how I normally play except I use the ashwood pike instead of a bamboo spear. I wouldn't call it very effective and it would be a stretch to call it effective. I find it very difficult to play due to the mighty downblock and nerfed damage/speed when using a shield. There is always the option of not using the shield but then why use a spear when you can use a poleaxe of some sort. The shortened spear is fast but lacks range. I get outranged by two handers all of the time and even light armored opponents take three stabs on average to kill. Heavy armored players will laugh at you and then split your skull. Also, you will get spammed to hell by 2h's as soon as they see you.

As an alternative, you could try what I am trying at the moment which is a hoplite/thrower build, but tbh so far it's gimmicky at best and throwing lances require 21 strength which means only a maximum of 15 agility and very light armor.

Hoplite's really need an overhead attack of some sort to make the downblock not 100% effective against frontal stabs.

Denbitre's King Glyph does well as a hoplite.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Pantalones

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 06:23:01 am »
Denbitre's King Glyph does well as a hoplite.

I see other hoplites occasionally, but they usually use their spear as a 2h weapon, which to me, defeats the purpose of having a hoplite build. I have yet to see anyone else use a shortened spear on a hoplite build. It's not really a good combination due to the short range and low damage that is why I suggested it, but I'm determined to make this work somehow.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 06:27:13 am »
You could roleplay a slinger. Or a stationary missile launcher. Only put points into power throw and weapon master, nothing else. Convert everything else.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »
+1
Engineer. They totally destroyed it now so... :(
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 06:42:07 pm »
Hybrid of shielder archer

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »
You could roleplay a slinger. Or a stationary missile launcher. Only put points into power throw and weapon master, nothing else. Convert everything else.

Sounds quite feasible. 21/21 7 PT 7 WM 3 Athletics or 3 Shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:41 am »
feasible but udnerused classes (with reason...)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 03:13:52 am »
+2
Shortbow, arrows, stones, and a shield on a sumpter horse.
Pock gobblers