Author Topic: Armor weight impacting melee damage?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Armor weight impacting melee damage?
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:55:58 am »
I've heard a couple of times that armor weight impacts melee damage.  That is, similar to throwing, you need a certain WPF to match your armor weight or else you aren't swinging for full damage.

True/false?

If true, what's the formula?
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Armor weight impacting melee damage?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:05:40 am »
+1
Yes, armor weight decreases WPF.
So it decreases damage received from wpf, and swing speed accordingly.

Formula is really complex / will not be posted. I believe gaffer posted somewhere the gist of how much it ends up reducing it somewhere, go look around.
There are no magic numbers or anything, although 7 armor weight and less should experience no penalties.

tl;dr don't worry about it. Slight damage and speed decrease from more armor weight.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:07:57 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:39 am »
But from what little I know... you don't need a certain amount of WPF for your Power Strike to work.  You'll get PS no matter what.  Unlike Ranged... where you need a certain amount of WPF to even get any Power Draw or Power Throw.

It's just that the weight you have, will decrease your melee WPF... but no matter what, you get your bonuses from Power Strike.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »
Roughly 40 wpf = 1 PS.(In damage boosts. You always get your full PS unlike throwing)

You lose about 10 wpf in mail. 20 wpf in Medium. Then the heavier armors (20lb+) you'll lose 20-30.

Those are only rough estimates using the crpg calculators.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »
Roughly 40 wpf = 1 PS.(In damage boosts. You always get your full PS unlike throwing)

You lose about 10 wpf in mail. 20 wpf in Medium. Then the heavier armors (20lb+) you'll lose 20-30.

You mean that I can use Katana with 9str 0ps 200 wpf in 2H build and I'll do same damage as 15str 5ps build?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:03:31 pm »
Base_damage=(weapon_base)(0.85+(0.15)(wpf))

so at 100wpf you are doing 100% damage, at 150wpf it would be 107.5% and at 200wpf it is 115% (assuming you are naked).

PS gives 8% bonuses.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:49:48 am »

I don't know where you got that idea from. wpf does not increase damage that much.
Base_damage=(weapon_base)(0.85+(0.15)(wpf))

so at 100wpf you are doing 100% damage, at 150wpf it would be 107.5% and at 200wpf it is 115% (assuming you are naked).

PS gives 8% bonuses.
As you can see, 100 wpf = using weapon as stats list it.
~155 wpf = 8% more damage, or equivalent of 1 additional powerstrike worth of damage.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:54:20 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:41:22 pm »
I don't know where you got that idea from. wpf does not increase damage that much.As you can see, 100 wpf = using weapon as stats list it.
~155 wpf = 8% more damage, or equivalent of 1 additional powerstrike worth of damage.

But it is true that when you say "wpf" you mean "adjusted wpf" after subtracting armor?  The formula someone stated for this in chat was armor = torso weight + leg weight + head *2 + gloves *3 - 7.  Subtract that from your wpf for your "adjusted wpf".

And what about the guy who said you need a certain WPF for your PS to work?  Like if I have 10 PS and 1 wpf, am I getting my 10 PS bonus?
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »
And what about the guy who said you need a certain WPF for your PS to work?  Like if I have 10 PS and 1 wpf, am I getting my 10 PS bonus?

There is no WPF requirement for PS.