Author Topic: Remove magic ladders  (Read 865 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Remove magic ladders
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:42 pm »
Ladders in the siege maps are cool...but ladders that are stacked upon ladders and more ladders, spiraling off into space and beyond, are very lame.

So are ladders that are stacked and made into into a ramp almost half a mile long, soaring into the sky, gently sloping, and finally drifting down directly to the flag inside the castle.

So are ladders that magically float when the ladders they are being supported by are destroyed, because the floating ladder is slightly touching the tip of a wall.

While humorous at first, this is a terrible immersion killer after a while.  Any word on fixing this?   "Ladders don't stack" would be simple enough, and still allow passage over walls in a siege.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:31:03 pm by Garison »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Remove magic ladders
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »
Why doesn't everyone agree and tell me so? :)

I know, it's because you are all set in your ways, playing with magic ladders, and have gotten used to employing them and seeing them flying all over the field.

Well try not to get stuck in your ways, and try to realize the truth of the matter.  From a newer players perspective...they are quite absurd.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »
Two hours is not much time to allow for responses.

I personally am against ladder stacking, but I am not sure the game will allow you to support this.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »
I love (floating included) ladders. They are cute and often on some siege maps necessary to make an alternate path.

Oh fun fact to throwers, you can destroy ladders in like 3 or 4 axes (or any high tier throwing). So if you see some perfectly executed ladder walkway to somewhere useful -- break it or tell your throwers to.

On the note of immersion, I play a game to have fun and be balanced. If they wanted super ultra realism immersion we wouldn't have naked anime girls running around throwing 6 throwing lances at you, then pulling a flamberge out of their pocket and swinging it like a giant deadly metal cotton swab that outranges most polearms.

Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:52:13 pm »
Siege ladders have always been random and crappy.  There's not really an excuse to keep them since they (1) go through walls (2) go over gates (3) can actually float right over walls (3.5) can actually float (4) can go to unreachable places (5) can float from one end of a keep to another, negating almost every defense (6) can be spammed to the point of defense being impossible (this one takes some coordination but, when it does happen, it takes all the fun out of defending).

The reason, so far as I can tell, that they aren't removed for reasons 1-6 is because it would change siege in an unpredictable way.  That means a lot of work, testing, and re-design.  The best compromise that I can think of is to limit it to 1 ladder per person on a map.  This would likely handicap #3,5,6 and stop all but the most determined players from exploiting an underdeveloped mechanic.  After that, some maps would need a few tweaks to remove the most common cases of #2,4.  But as I said, this would take a lot of time and tiresome work from the kind volunteers that help make this game.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:45:53 am »
This ladder thing is really out of control.

On siege, sometimes 3 or 4 people are busy laddering without any sense or goal, sometimes  even hindering their own team by blocking the normal siege ramp / fixed ladders.

I would find it sad to remove them - it makes sieges more realistic and less predictable.
But ffs limit their availability per round, if that is supported by the game engine, and make them a bit more realistic (i.e. non-stackable and non-floating)

5 or 10 max, for the whole team. Or 2 per person and only once per round, not on every respawn.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...