Author Topic: fitting shields for throwing  (Read 789 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
fitting shields for throwing
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »
I am planning of going for a thrower, with a shield skill of 2. I am planning of using the shield only against ranged. I will put my shield back when I have to engage in melee. So the coverage the shield provides when I am throwing some nasty equipment is what I'm looking for. For that, which shields are advisable?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: fitting shields for throwing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »
2 shield skill is pretty useless, waste of points.  offers you very little protection against ranged.  that said, plain round shield has the best coverage of 2 & below

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
So why it is advisable for two handers to have 2 shield skill then :?
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Rhygar666

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • möp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Rhygay666_HRE
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:23 pm »
2 shield skill is fine but if you see an crossbow be a nice boy and run cuz that shit hits trough faster than you can see :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:22 pm »
So why it is advisable for two handers to have 2 shield skill then :?

because your shield will do very little in the way of stopping ranged projectiles.  if you arent practically facing the attacker head on, good chance they'll shoot around the shield.

every point in shield gives your shield more powerful 'forcefield effect' where it will pick up ranged attacks that you may not be looking directory at, around the edges of the shield.  2 is not much at all.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:04 pm »
Hmm, does it apply when you are at the "throwing mode"? And what is the advisable shield skill for that? I only want to benefit a bit from the shield, not fully.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:15 pm »
Hmm, does it apply when you are at the "throwing mode"? And what is the advisable shield skill for that? I only want to benefit a bit from the shield, not fully.

Yes, if the projectile comes from left side or infront of you, your shield can passively block projectiles while you are cocked back with a throwing weapon.  note that this will interrupt a throw in progress if it happens.  happens to me all the time with my 5 shield skill + heavy round shield.

Either go 4 shield or none IMO.  Thrower hybrid with 4 shield is very good counter to ranged enemies. Round shields offer absolute best protection from ranged, however can obscure your view in melee combat some if they're on your back, at least mine does.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:14:24 pm by Digglez »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »
Ok here is my planned build for the next generation:
STR: 24
AGI: 12

Ironflesh: 1
Pwr Strike: 8
Pwr Throw: 8
Shield: 4
Athletics: 4
Weapon Master: 4

Polearm: 100
Throwing: 113 (9 more higher than the needed 13*8=104)

Is this build ok? I plan to wear light armor to compansate my low athletics and avoid the penalty for throwing.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:07 pm »
Unless you are going in cloth armor, I'd think you'd need more than 113.  Maybe you could get away with some very light armor.

Personally, I find myself find with 3 Shield to be enough.  I use the Kite Shield.  I like the coverage over the length of my body (from my chin down to below the knee).  It doesn't have the width coverage as the round-type shields.  So maybe not as good protection from ranged from the side.  But if half-way keep yourself facing the ranged player, your covered with a Kite-type shield.

I believe our builds are similar.  I mainly use a Polearm, with Throwing secondary.  I carry a set of Heavy Throwing Axes & a Shield.  Allows me to do a little range, as well as chance to try and kill quicker folks running away.  And the shield allows me to protect myself from ranged attacks.  When I'm charging across the battlefield, I have my shield & heavy throwing axes out.  I'm cover from enemy ranged, as well as being able to give a little ranged right before I close with the enemy.

And when I must, I've at times, used my Heavy Throwing Axes in melee.  In combination with the shield, you are protected while still being able to land a lethal blow with the Heavy Throwing Axes.  Though slow they can hit hard with 7 PS, which is what I have.

To help my Heavy Throwing Axes be a little quicker and a little more deadly in combat, I took 51 WPF in 1-Handed.  Of course I'm a 21/15 build, and have 5 WM, so I have a few more points to spare than you.