Poll

Ball too fast/ going too far when kicked or thrown ?

Yes, I demand rebalance ! ( more airfriction, less initial velocity, more trajectory, something else ... )
No, it's fine !

Author Topic: Rageball ball speed  (Read 583 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Rageball ball speed
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »
+1
I havent seen much feedback about the increase of ball speed that has been applied some weeks ago for throwing and kicking the ball. I think it was unnecessary and counter productive. It is way to easy now to score or to kick the ball from one goal to another. Id like to see the speed values getting reset to prepatch as there was nothing wrong with it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Rageball ball speed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00:28 pm »
Since I cant handle that much contribution and lost track of all the posts in the thread Ill ask a simple question:

Do you think the ball can be kicked/thrown too far/fast ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:44:55 pm by XyNox »

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »
Kicking is impossible to actively catch. That much i can accept.
But it's also very skillfull, so should definitely be rewarded if you actually aimed right.

I see many goalkeepers doing nice active catchs. They shouldn't be able to do it four times in a row if the ball was thrown too fast. I believe it takes a little bit of used to.

On the other hand, even a good keeper can be scored by a good scorer. Fact is, it's easier to score than to defend the goal.

Since we have quick throws for passing and such, i wouldn't mind "slightly" slowing down the ball when thrown, for more interesting gameplay. But only slightly.

Also, i don't think you can throw too far. But maybe the kick goes a bit too far. (saw a goalie score with a kick from his own circle of protection... mindblowing)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:18:13 pm »
I rarely play as a GK and dont have a high ath build so I cant really tell how easy keeping can get after a lot of practice but from what I see a well placed throw from minimum distance is almost impossible to catch as there simply is no viable build that gives you enough acceleration/speed to get into catch range quickly enough, also concidering human reaction time. I expect the average percentage of catched shots to be quite low, although I have seen good keepers like shaman but then again seen many bad shooters/throwers.

Almost more problematic though I think is how easy you can push forward. It needs just 3 fast passes to cover the whole bloodbowl field, the first one being uninteruptable as it comes from the keeper. It just takes seconds to counterscore as TDMers randoming along the map, eventually winning a duel are quite likely to be available to pass to. This could be countered of course with teamwork and a well thought player placement but this is, as we all know, not likely to happen in rageball.

I think - 30 % ballspeed would make the gamemode more balanced, as a more limited field of action would require more contribution from other teammates who are actually interested in playing the gamemode in order to achieve victory.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »
Wat? The fast build up is a good thing in rageball. Even with it we often have siege situations where one team can't get their ball forward if the goalie can't pass/kick well and the own midfielders suck. Furthermore if defenders would get their shit together and actually defend at the goal area, attackers would be forced to do long throws at goal and those a good goalie can catch.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
Furthermore if defenders would get their shit together and actually defend at the goal area, attackers would be forced to do long throws at goal and those a good goalie can catch.

But this problem is rendered possible due to long passes in the first place isnt it ? If I can pass over long distances to people far away from enemy players how do you have a chance to stop the enemies advance ? Distances that had to be walked for some part in the past can now simply be passed, giving the defenders much less time to reposition and less opportunities to interrupt enemy ball carriers. What can I possibly do if an enemy who is standing 10 meters to my left gets the ball and passes it 50 meters to the next enemy immediatly after ? There is much less reward for clever positioning now.

The same thing applies to scoring. Even throws coming from anywhere other than sticking halfway in the goali area are more like to score now. And appart the whole theory stuff I have to say in practice I notice a lot more random counterscores which dont seem to be linked with sophisticated gameplay but rather fast forward spamming the ball, which wasnt the desired effect I guess.

Lowering ball speed would force people to actually do something more to get into ball possession IMO.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:17:24 pm by XyNox »