Author Topic: Random teleportation  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Random teleportation
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:35:17 am »
I dislike the "random teleportation" feature that happens after someone is idle for too long (if you don't log in for (2 weeks?), it just teleports you to a random spot on the map).  I think it has 2 detrimental effects:

1) People who quit playing for a time are less likely to want to come back.  Likely they teleported, got jumped, lost all their stuff and now they'd have to start over.  Their solution is to just not care anymore and never come back.

2) The map fills up with random 0-army dudes all over the place and they just teleport randomly now and then.

I understand the problem it's trying to solve.  You don't want some 50,000 troop, fully equipped platemail army to suddenly materialize because the guy logged off 6 months ago and just now came back.  But that might actually be better than just having him never come back.

The ultimate solution may be to build something into future maps:
Safeholds.  Starter areas.  Whatever.  They are in various places on the map and they do nothing and cost no rent and you can't attack anyone in them.  If you log out and don't come back, you get teleported to the nearest safehold, where you will stay.  Defeated armies may also go to a safehold rather than randomly teleport.

So people owning things near safeholds know that they linger in the shadow of potential surprise attack at all times but at least it's a known risk.  We could additionally put the safeholds inside mountains so that there will be time to spot someone coming out of one.  (We could keep the "random teleport" system and keep it as an option inside of these safeholds.  If you have 0 troops and 0 equipment, you can choose to "teleport" and it will just plop you randomly in the world.  This would eliminate "safehold griefing" where you just keep killing anyone that comes out.)

At any rate, the current system of random teleportation has just been a headache and I think it has turned a fair number of people off of Strategus who might have otherwise come back to give it another shot.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:38:45 am by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
Re: Random teleportation
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:10:19 am »
while crafting in one of our villages, i was teleported to na with all my cargo (shitloads of olives, moar than 500) and got attacked by some bandits and lost everything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »
+1
Honestly I hear what you're saying Slamz about wanting as many people playing as possible and I agree, but at the same time I think you need to be somewhat active.  You shouldn't be able to craft for 2 weeks without logging in and have 336 goods to go sell.  You should be able to login to a website once every 2 weeks for 2 minutes.  :P

The big problem with strategus (for me) is that people are able to be very effective for their factions without ever really doing anything, I think at a minimum you should be rewarded for being active (maybe by playing c-rpg or joining strat battles since it's hard to be active in the strategus overview).

Right now all it takes to run a successful faction is to have 30 "inactive" people who login once a week and transfer goods (or move their char from castle to village and transfer troops).  And a couple active people (one who controls the main army and one who has an army for transporting goods).  And you can be super powerful.  Those 30 "inactive" strategus people don't even need to sign up for your strategus battles because you can ask others to fight for you.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:43:16 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »
+1
I agree that the telportation is kinda stupid and self-defeating, but as Cracka said: There needs to be something to make/force people to be active and not just farm stuff.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Graf_Hodenschaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Trade Guild
  • Game nicks: Graf_Hodenschaf
  • IRC nick: Graf_Hodenschaf
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:34 am »
I agree that the telportation is kinda stupid and self-defeating, but as Cracka said: There needs to be something to make/force people to be active and not just farm stuff.

Maybe its the wrong way to keep players active?

I totally agree to Slamz!
Livestreaming crpg:  twitch.tv/beerman_aut

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:50 am »
+1
activity timer should be linked to playing cRPG, not logging into website to issue some bullshit 'keep alive' timer

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:43 am »
If the object is to stop people from freely generating goods while only logging in once a week, then they should just disable all crafting if you don't log in but leave you where you are.

So you could still get pushed out of a town by running out of money, or by the town getting taken over and the new owner ejecting you, but so long as you were in a clan-controlled area you're safe; but you still have to log in on some schedule to keep the goods flowing.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:36 am »
+2
Incidentally, a more comprehensive solution that will help in other areas:

Rather than selecting "craft", you have to enter how many hours you want to craft, maximum....48?

So I tell it I want to craft goods for 48 hours.  After that runs out, I'm done and must log back in for new orders.

This will also be a great help for making items.  I want to craft helms for 2 hours, then stop.

Ideally we can input an array of values.  I want:

2 hours of nordic pot helmets
3 hours of mail shirts
2 hours of german greatsword
48 hours of goods
...and it just goes down the list.

Multiple problems solved!
Norse Horde

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:05 am »

Rather than selecting "craft", you have to enter how many hours you want to craft, maximum....48?

So I tell it I want to craft goods for 48 hours.  After that runs out, I'm done and must log back in for new orders.

This will also be a great help for making items.  I want to craft helms for 2 hours, then stop.

3 hours of mail shirts
48 hours of goods

Great idea, +1

If the devs didnt want to change it too much tho, i think something like, if your not active for more then a week etc, it changes you from crafting to doing nothing, or something like that would work out much better. The inactive people wont be crafting for weeks on end, while people who have had to go out of town for a few weeks or something wont be completley screwed over.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:45:35 am by Visconti »
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Graf_Hodenschaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Trade Guild
  • Game nicks: Graf_Hodenschaf
  • IRC nick: Graf_Hodenschaf
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:01 am »

3 hours of mail shirts
48 hours of goods

+1  ( but i think there will be a lot of whiners who say " but who garuantees me that i will craft the item spending 2 hours crafting it?"  )
Livestreaming crpg:  twitch.tv/beerman_aut

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:06:26 pm »
+1
+1  ( but i think there will be a lot of whiners who say " but who garuantees me that i will craft the item spending 2 hours crafting it?"  )

Yeah, really it would be better to be able to specify a number.  "50 german greatswords"

Which might be fine but then you need a different limit for goods vs everything else.  Being able to specify that you want to craft 500 leather boots is perfectly fine and could take less than a day.  Being able to specify that you want to craft 500 goods would let you go afk for 20 days.

So maybe something like limit 500 (or just no limit) for queuing up items.
Limit 96 (4 days worth) for goods.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 07:46:43 pm »
+1
Note:
Random teleportation is still stupid.

At least give us a display showing the last date clanmembers logged in, so we can warn them that they need to log back in before they get teleported.

It's not like Strategus is interactive enough to warrant frequent logins for most people.
Norse Horde

Offline KillerofFlowers

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Emperor_KillerofFlowers
  • IRC nick: KillerofFlowers
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 01:32:32 pm »
Like4 or 5 of my members whkdont really like strat in the deluded place all got teleported and in total about 400 troops were lost. Now on the way back on of them got attacked and now he's going to be teleported again and if it's further than last time I doubt he will come back. He himself had about 100 troops with sone goods I'm pretty sure which would explain the army who attacked it... On top of this 3 of them were inside. Castle so something needs to be done