Author Topic: Parrying stabs should be reworked somewhat.  (Read 425 times)

Offline von_felty

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TBT
Parrying stabs should be reworked somewhat.
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:08:36 pm »
+2
Now I may be biased because I like to use pole arms, but you can still stab with 2handers too...

Currently overhead, left, right parrying makes a lot of sense because the animation shows a connect with the other players weapons and a nice block happens that seems realistic.

But parrying thrust mode seems like you might be holding out a shield which seems to hold a screen from head to toe of the player model. You can just hold parry thrust out and two persons could stab your head and feet simultaneously and you would block them both at the same instant. Also, it doesn't make sense that you can block a stab to your foot as the human arm does not reach that far down. Now I wouldn't see a problem chambering a thrust to the foot, but simply holding out your weapon parallel to the ground would be impossible to block a thrust to the foot.

Now it would be ridiculous to add multiple modes of parrying thrusts (like mouse click down and then move the direction yet again) so I would suggest maybe make it so that overhead parrying also blocks thrusts from the upper chest on up, and the current thrust parrying covers everything from from the lower chest down.

I think this would be a good compromise as it gives the parrying player the ability to block face thrusts and overhead swings at the same time, but give the thrust player the ability to choose a face stab or stomach stab.  It would have animations making much more sense and showing connect of the weapons in a realistic manner.

I don't know if removing the ability to parry thrusts to the foot would be unbalancing so I would leave that alone unless a lot of people think that should be changed. If that was changed I would include the issue with shielders so people try to get around that by attacking their feet.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:10:55 pm by von_felty »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Parrying stabs should be reworked somewhat.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »
The main time I notice this is from horse back fighting another lance cavalry.  If he blocks down with the lance and I'm aiming for his horse, it's a crap shoot if I'll hit the horse or his manual block (even aiming low on the horse).

In the same situation if I go up against a cavalry lancer who is blocking with a shield and I aim in the same spot (low) on his horse, I will hit his horse and do damage, and then his shield will block me from hitting him.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:37:56 am »
It would be cool to have that feature, but then I feel lances and spears would need to have more collision effects, like the shaft being solid and not passing through objects.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:39:58 am »
Also, it doesn't make sense that you can block a stab to your foot as the human arm does not reach that far down.

On the other hand, you can move the tip of your weapon down that far and deflect the blow to the side... Like most fighting is...

M&B is just limited in the animations, so it shows blocking, which no sane fighter would do as that consumes a stupid level of energy. It can not model the actual deflection blocks that are usually used.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:35:25 am »
Nah, shes good mate. Works fine. Play WFaS if you want to have to up block over head stabs.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(