Author Topic: Need an opinion on cav build  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Need an opinion on cav build
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 04:15:51 am »
hmmm....i found myself losing money much faster with destrier actually

JUST
WIN
ROUNDS

tbh the best way is to quit / change server when you lose. But that applies to any expensive equipment set. Play more with destrier and with heavier horses and you'll most probably end up with more money when you play the destrier. Except of course, if you really can't play with it for some reason, and do extremely well with heavier horses.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 04:23:42 am »
JUST
WIN
ROUNDS

tbh the best way is to quit / change server when you lose. But that applies to any expensive equipment set. Play more with destrier and with heavier horses and you'll most probably end up with more money when you play the destrier. Except of course, if you really can't play with it for some reason, and do extremely well with heavier horses.

I found myself doing quite fine with courser, which is cheaper to upkeep and as it is squishy like hell, i get to practise my footman skills quite often  :mrgreen:

I dont do server changes/quitting on first loss, well i do when i have to go to work or something, but with not so much free time left to play, when i want to play i can even suffer thru few rounds on x1 :P

I am selling 1 outta 4 looms to pay for upkeep, works kek :)

And, i saw some really, really annoying onehanded cav on heavy horses, skilled player with these monsters under them, damn...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 04:30:24 am »
And, i saw some really, really annoying onehanded cav on heavy horses, skilled player with these monsters under them, damn...

That is true, but it takes a really heavy horse (cata + ), medium-heavy armor and a good amount of skill to play that kind of juggernaut effectively.

The point of buying heavier horses isn't to withstand much more arrows (because you don't), it's because of the psychological effect on enemy ranged. When they see a cheap horse, they think "squishy... must... kill...", however, most ranged player won't "waste" their ammo on "tank" horses, resulting in those not getting shot that much, despite being easier to track.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 04:34:33 am »
That is true, but it takes a really heavy horse (cata + ), medium-heavy armor and a good amount of skill to play that kind of juggernaut effectively.

The point of buying heavier horses isn't to withstand much more arrows (because you don't), it's because of the psychological effect on enemy ranged. When they see a cheap horse, they think "squishy... must... kill...", however, most ranged player won't "waste" their ammo on "tank" horses, resulting in those not getting shot that much, despite being easier to track.

Tru that since i saddled courser, i found myself and Britney under harder shooting than before :)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:22 am »
+2
I go usually for an 18/18 build.

Strength: 18
    Agility: 18
    Hit points: 53

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 0
    Power Strike: 6
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 6
    Riding: 6
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 6

One Handed: 120
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 120
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

Give or take 120 1h/120 polearm WPF.

Efficient on foot, yet still very useful with a courser. With the amount of WPF, you have enough to kill on horseback efficiently, as well as defend yourself pretty well actually when dismounted. Athletics provides means of escape and attack when need be. Overall my favorite build.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:08 am »
Yep, +1 to most posts in here.

21/15, 18/18 or 15/21 are all great cav builds.

Always max out athletics, because you'll want to be good on foot. Never take ironflesh over athletics.

Max out power strike, then max out athletics, then choose an appropriate amount of riding (5 for 'basic' mode: destrier and the armoured horses, 6 for courser, 7 for arabian warhorse). Having 'only' riding 4 kinda sucks because you can't use most free horses on the battlefield.
Shield skill becomes really nice with 4 or higher. For me, shield 5 is a must because i love that Huscarl shield, but i guess 4 should be enough usually. However, having 6 or 7 shield is also worth it. I'd say shield skill > iron flesh.

I always max out my weapon mastery. Maybe it's not needed, but i want to be sure my swing speed is maximized. Also, if you're going 1h and pole, you need all the WPF you can get.

So basicly, iron flesh comes last and that's why most cav doesn't use it.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:13 pm »

I'd say this is very true even from the perspective of a green cav player. My cata hardly gets shot at, they always aim at me. :lol:

BTW. Does anyone have the stats of +3 cataphract and cares to share? Finding accurate and up to date information on this matter is quite a task currently, duh.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 04:59:04 pm »
+1
Champion Cataphract Horse
hit points: 135
body armor: 51
difficulty: 5
speed: 40
maneuver: 42
charge: 42

enuff to check retirement page  :mrgreen:

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »
For multiplayer I've always been preferential to the courser.  I only use it so that I can defend or attack against other horsemen and I don't have to worry about anyone running me down. I like being able to catch up to horses as well.  That being said, I try to avoid being anti-cavalry from horseback unless it's to run interference/protection for our infantry, or sometimes if there's a large cavalry skirmish I'll try to dismount people.  Even though I use my courser so I CAN anti-cav, I prefer to be attacking infantry and helping my own ground troops.

And the turning speed is kind of a retarded argument, all I have to do is slow down and I turn faster (not as fast as other horses if they are not going full speed either, but then I'm moving faster forward again...). 

I always feel like my courser has a bulleye on it's sides, but I've got pretty good at not putting myself in situations to get shot to hell.  Changing speeds and lots of turning is good for throwing off ranged.

The horse speed is nice when it allows you to start couching sooner, and it allows you to close the gap on infantry quicker as well.  Even if I was on a destrier, I still wouldn't be riding through large groups of infantry, some of whom most likely will have a lance or spear to stop the horse.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:22:37 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:31 am »
+1
I use a champ courser.

It's fucking awesome. I'm not lying when I say I am a god on that thing--killing literally every fucking player that I set eyes on. The courser gives you a sexy speed bonus, and, most importantly, the ability to zoom in and out of the fight like a fucking bullet.

A fully loomed courser is pretty survivable, with 115 hp. In the hands of a good player, who knows how to avoid getting his or her horse shot/stabbed/cut/beaten, survivability is no problem. Only fight when you think you can win. Play it safe for the most part (save those random, kamikaze death runs), and always be aware. In this way the courser will be just as, if not more, survivable than any other horse.

It's cheaper than the realistic alternatives.

Turning speed's a non issue if, again, you're smart about how you ride around. Slow down, and you can turn more easily. Oh, and just don't fight enemy cav unless you have too.

WORDS OF WISDOM

"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 11:06:47 am »
0/30, hammertime (and riding at the speed of ... slightly faster then everyone else)

Offline Mephisto

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • This is where personal text should be.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Misiek_the_Grey
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »
You don't mind if i'll give my opinion?
I'm going for the same exact build but just with one tiny difference: i put all into polearms.
No need to increase Pole wpf due to the very small bonus inadequate to the points you could have placed to 1h.
6 points into horseys is also enough.

Well, Tot, there's also another idea, which im sure you will find very useful.
Dont bother with polearms, and put all the steam you've got into 1h. Good mounted one hander is a big asset to the team.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »
I have 100 wpf and when I pick up a heavy lance I can do fine against infantry and not so great - medium cav. However if you come up against someone like Leed or Torben who have a mw heavy lance and pure polearms proficiency they usually can pull a hit on you faster than you on a charge so unless your timing is sublime you have quite a disadvantage :/
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html