Author Topic: 50 WPP - worthy or pointless?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
Re: 50 WPP - worthy or pointless?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 11:22:35 am »
The more wpf you have the less chance of an item breaking if it is a weapon (not sure this applies to arrow ammunition to be honest).

I'm pretty sure you can have WPF in any melee weapon (1handers, polearms or 2handers) and it will count towards them all in regards to repair %.
But throwing, crossbows and archery are seperate.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »
120 1h
100 polearm.

50 still worth it though.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can have WPF in any melee weapon (1handers, polearms or 2handers) and it will count towards them all in regards to repair %.
But throwing, crossbows and archery are seperate.

Only if one of the secondary modes also match, then it uses the highest of the modes wpf that you have.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 07:02:32 pm »
I had a theory some time ago, and I'd like to have it confirmed or invalidated.

With low WPF you are stabbing more slowly, right? And as long as you are in the "stabbing part" of the animation, you can inflict damage, right? Could it be, that with a slow stabbing lance you have a bigger time window to wound an enemy? Which could result in more hits if you are not experienced with lancing? Could this be?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »
I have 100 wpf in polearm and I still can't one hit people when thrusting, but when couching, only tincans and very heavy armor have survived at least one. I use a heavy lance and medium armor and my build is 18/18, but this is just a gen 2 alt so I don't know how loomed weapons would work in this case.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Danath

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 02:49:16 am »
A lot of differing opinions on if 50wpp makes a difference (a decent difference)

Final opinions on this? I do not care about breakage, nice to know, but focus is on weapon effectiveness for lancing with 50wpp

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 04:27:51 am »
+1
It will give you effectively a free point in Power Strike (as PS is an 8% bonus), as base weapon damage multiplier is:

.85+.15(wpf/100) or if it helps .85+wpf*0.0015

So some common wpf numbers gives:
1wpf=85.15%
50wpf=92.5%
100wpf=100%
111wpf=101.65%
154wpf=108.1%

So I say it is worth it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:29:05 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 10:28:50 am »
+3
Only if one of the secondary modes also match, then it uses the highest of the modes wpf that you have.
I don't know if anything has changed recently, but Paul has previously stated that '... melee weapons are one category for the extra breakchance thingy. The highest melee skill is picked in the script when checking for breakage.'

Offline Sir_Ironlake

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »
So yr saying if I have 150 wpf in polearms, and carry a 1h it will break same as if I carry a spear?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »
Apparently so, I stand corrected.

Either way, the damage bonus alone makes it worth it in my opinion.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 12:00:42 am »
I don't know if anything has changed recently, but Paul has previously stated that '... melee weapons are one category for the extra breakchance thingy. The highest melee skill is picked in the script when checking for breakage.'

This.

I wouldn't bother with 50 WPF for lancing, might as well still be 0.  I personally don't like 0 WPF lancing, its good for killing scrub infantry but its harder to do pro juke thrusts and fight cav in CQC.  I'd rather just be polearms, or spare the weapon master to get 100+ in poles and a sidearm.  Plenty of people do fine with 0 wpf lancing though.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 06:38:35 pm »
I have two builds I like for a level 30 cavalry build (assuming you plan on retiring as soon as you hit 31).  In both instances I basically split WPF between 1h and polearms.  It's a nice hybrid build (can still play as infantry) and gives me more than enough WPF to be competitive with swing speeds.  I honestly don't notice a huge difference between 70 WPF and 120 (there is a difference, but having 50 or 70 WPF is still not THAT much slower than 120).  WPF makes a difference, but it's something like 10% faster at 100 WPF than at 1, so not the end of the world. 

This 18/18 build should have 6 power strike, and 3 athletics (instead of 5 ps, and 4 athletics)

(click to show/hide)

15/18 is my preferred build (and what I currently use):

(click to show/hide)

I figure the extra Power Strike and 3 strenght with my 1h broad battle axe gives me about 5-6 extra damage versus really light armor, but I kill really light armored people very easily with 5 power strike anyways.  3 extra strength and 1 more power strike only give me 1-3 damage more versus heavily armored people, so not a huge difference (having the 6 athletics and 6 shield is really nice).
 - Stolen from Macropussy