Author Topic: Black armor repair cost vs income  (Read 1421 times)

Offline MangyHobo

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Small Village
  • Game nicks: KingWabajack Samurai_Wack_Off JuiceBagHero Necrophiliac Defiler_Of_(Instert object here)
  • IRC nick: Yo momma
Black armor repair cost vs income
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:33:28 pm »
So from what i hear its impossible to ever afford the upkeep on a set of black armor.. wtf is up with this? I spend 37k to buy it and 10 rounds later i find my self with 500gp and 14k in broken equipment debt.. am i wrong about this or is black armor totally useless in crpg..?
Fist Facer Strongest

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Black armor repair cost vs income
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:19:25 am »
This is not a bug. Repair costs go higher the more expensive an item gets. Typically expensive items are meant for special occasions, high multipliers or a way to drain very big banks.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:14:25 am »
Think about it another way. If you could use black plate without losing money, who wouldn't everyone and their grandma play with them? Some would maybe have a build that didn't suit them, but the huge influx of black armoured people would most probably force them to change their builds too. Do you REALLY want everyone to run around with black armour, flamberges, elegant poleaxes, long espadas, steel shields and arbalests?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline KaleLord

• Count
  • Renown: 233
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
  • Nurd
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kale
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:36:02 am »
+3
Think about it another way. If you could use black plate without losing money, who wouldn't everyone and their grandma play with them? Some would maybe have a build that didn't suit them, but the huge influx of black armoured people would most probably force them to change their builds too. Do you REALLY want everyone to run around with black armour, flamberges, elegant poleaxes, long espadas, steel shields and arbalests?

I do
Kale: One of the cutest, chubbiest, asianiest faces in c-RPG. Take a look when you get the chance, guys. I will miss this beautiful man.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:40:47 am »
+1
Yeah that'd be pretty sweet actually.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:24:35 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbtcKWoADKA

Here is a video of cRPG without upkeep, I can't beleive the amount of black armor I see, is there only this armor avaible in cRPG or what?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbtcKWoADKA

Here is a video of cRPG without upkeep, I can't beleive the amount of black armor I see, is there only this armor avaible in cRPG or what?
Silly people. That was because the low, low gold gain made people not able to BUY the black plate. If they HAD enough money, they could use it all the time without it doing anything to them. But hey, when you bought it you had it forever! It only took around 400+ hours to get one! And you only had to use the peasant weapons and nothing else WHILE you grinded that money :D In a character pretty low lvl :D Sounds fun! :D

No

The thing is. The gold gain now compared to before is SO much higher that everyone can afford to buy the best armour/weapons. But they can't USE them all the time because of the upkeep. Before, there were some people who were lvl 45, had the black armour, plated charger and the best weapons, while the "new" guys were lucky if they could get some leather or light armour, a middle tier weapon and become lvl 15+. That was WAY more unfair to the new guys. But hey, fuck that. Let's bring it back! I already go my black plat and plated charger! Let's take away upkeep but make gold and xp gain almost 0 again (if you were lucky, you got maybe 200 gold for ONE (1!) round. That's 1 tick at x4 currently. And if you lost, you only got 25% instead. Even then, the average round only gave you 100-ish gold)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:40:28 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41:05 pm »
Miss those days.

And I can assure you zapper that no it wouldn't turn in everyone using black armour if the wpf penalty we have now would have been working in that times.

I still see very few good points in upkeep over old days (Mind you it had problems too but nowadays with harsher wpf penalties, weapons use more than 1 slot and different retirement system that no longer makes you be a god among normal players it could work) but that's me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:45:53 pm by Vexus »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 02:35:18 pm »
As someone who started playing in december 2010, those times were shit. Everyone who doesn't think so hopped on the cRPG train earlier. What I remember is The_Finn doing laps through the infantry zerg horde and getting top score everytime, while being a mediocre cav player. I remember people completely outspamming me while they were wearing plate.

That system could work, if you did a reset every two months. Without the old players get too big an advantage over newcomers. Still I had fun those days. It was a different kind of fun. Devoting yourself to anti-Finn duty, and smiling when you hit Bjord_V in his gothic plate, and then quickly dash behind your own plated knights before he decides to attack you.

Oh and somehow there was a different mentality back then, everything was just more relaxed, the community seemed more mature or something. Could be just nostalgia glasses though.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »
As someone who started playing in december 2010, those times were shit. Everyone who doesn't think so hopped on the cRPG train earlier. What I remember is The_Finn doing laps through the infantry zerg horde and getting top score everytime, while being a mediocre cav player. I remember people completely outspamming me while they were wearing plate.

That system could work, if you did a reset every two months. Without the old players get too big an advantage over newcomers. Still I had fun those days. It was a different kind of fun. Devoting yourself to anti-Finn duty, and smiling when you hit Bjord_V in his gothic plate, and then quickly dash behind your own plated knights before he decides to attack you.

Oh and somehow there was a different mentality back then, everything was just more relaxed, the community seemed more mature or something. Could be just nostalgia glasses though.
Exactly the same experience for me! We even started at the same time. The main reason I don't want this back (actually, maybe with the every 2 month wipe it could work) is that I realised by the time I had enough gold for that Plated Charger and Black Plate, everyone else would also had saved up so much. That's why I loved the upkeep patch. Finally things became (close) to equal in terms of equipment between new and old players.