Author Topic: Ladders in Siege  (Read 380 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Ladders in Siege
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »
Something needs to be done.  The main issue is that ladder exploits, both inside and outside of castles, can often ruin a map for defenders.  Additionally, on some maps, a failure to exploit ladders means it's almost impossible to get a good ladder placement without it bugging and falling through the wall.  I've spoken to Lucius about this and he's said that if, for example, we remove ladders altogether we'd need to seriously re-jig some maps or even remove them altogether.  Alternatively, ladders could be made un-stackable and thus less exploitable.  This would still leave, however, many ladders floating in the air and impossible to reach by the poor defenders. 

Anyway, I thought a thread should be made to start discussion on the matter.  Other suggestions that've been floating about have been making ladders quite expensive to repair, removing player ladders and replacing them with fixed ladders, and limiting it to one ladder per person. 

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Ladders in Siege
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:13 pm »
I'd say make it so ladders don't stack, put a limit on how many ladders can be deployed per player at any given time, and make it so ladders cannot be dropped as an item.

I think making ladders expensive to repair is a bad idea, though:  I don't want to scare people away from ladders, attackers need them.  What's not needed is the ridiculous ladder spam that we have now.

Edit: Another possibility is to allow stacked ladders, but cause the entire chain to be killed if one ladder is destroyed. This would make it very risky to chain ladders together.  This would also eliminate the eyesore of floating ladders.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:16:37 am by Duke »