Author Topic: Archer Build Advice  (Read 4254 times)

Offline jimmydatwin

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Archer Build Advice
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:00:31 pm »
Looking for some advice on an archer build.  New to CRPG and not 100% sure of the mechanics for ranged damage etc.  So wondering if this build would be effective:

Level 30
    Strength: 18
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 53

Skills to attributes: 8

Power Strike: 5
    Athletics: 5
    Power Draw: 6
    Weapon Master: 7

Two Handed: 70
    Archery: 155

Will be going with a Tatar Bow, 2 stacks of Bodkin Arrows and a Bastard Sword.
Does the Tatar Bow make make sense with this build and CRPG mechanics or would another bow be best?

*Edit does 2h weapon take 2 weapon slots?  if so drop one stack of arrows (would like the answer to this still).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:07:54 pm by jimmydatwin »

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
Re: Archer Build Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »
bastard sword will take 2 slots, meaning you could only bring ONE stack of bodkins - which is bad.
instead, most people go with mace (2H but 1 slot) or a fast 1H weapon such as hammer/a pick/etc. for blocking or even the relatively long 'langes messer' (1H also). some 1H weapons (langes messer/military sickle) have second mode, which uses 2H skill. and why use tatar bow? take either horn bow or normal bow, which is faster. or longbow for the big fishes if you can afford it.
if you're not so good at manual blocking, i suggest you go for more athletics to make a better runaway ... but tell nobody i said that ...
Peace! and don't shoot teammates! and if you see inf fighting inf, leave them alone, so you won't hit your teammate! golden rule!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:01:44 pm by Kajia »

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »
That build looks solid, it's pretty much the same one I used for my thrower.
And how!

Offline MaHuD

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: MaHuD, Darth_InVader, Hired_Blade, Hinzerhaus
  • IRC nick: MaHuD
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:25 pm »
I have noticed that there isn't much change in Accuracy so apperently its best to go for the "strongest" bow.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:12 pm »
archer hybrids dont work.  tatar bow is going to do laughable damage to enemies unless you headshot them (which still may take 2-3 hits).

Successful archers that are able to hold their own in melee use either the 1 slot 2h/pole weapons or 1h weapons.

Military fork & 2h Mace are good examples.  Also some good melee archers use Arab Cav Sword, Fighting Axe or Italian Sword.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:27 am »
Not bad man. I would just say try out having only one stack of arrows. Then once you get frustrated with that, go to 2 stacks and have a decent 1 slot wep like mace or langes messer. Only problem with langes is its expensive to repair and its already expensive to repair a bow and a double stack of arrows.

And +1 to horn bow. You don't have to use bodkins though to do well. Noticed a lot of people using regular arrows and barbed arrows. if you don't want to deal with the 350 repair bill for a stack of bodkins, try the other arrows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:16:59 am »
archer hybrids dont work. tatar bow is going to do laughable damage to enemies unless you headshot them (which still may take 2-3 hits).

Successful archers that are able to hold their own in melee use either the 1 slot 2h/pole weapons or 1h weapons.

Military fork & 2h Mace are good examples.  Also some good melee archers use Arab Cav Sword, Fighting Axe or Italian Sword.

Humm... i'm quite sure there's some out there with like 70wpf in 2h, a mace, and 5 PS. If this is not an hybrid, then i'm not really sure what to call an hybrid. And yes... it's pretty effective. Kill range with a fair chance. Duel melee with a fair chance. So, as soon as you run out of arrows, you don't have to lamely pick up used arrows on the ground. You can even drop it and pick up a better 2slot melee weapon.

Only thing is... if you really want to rock with melee, better make an xbow hybrid. Make skill points to put in IF or whatever.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:15:40 pm »
If you wanna make hybrid archer\2h and wanna use light (one slot bow) you can try this build

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Hit points: 60
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 0
Athletics: 7
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 5
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 85
Polearm: 1
Archery: 150
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

150 wpf is enough for 5PD bows. With Tatar Bow you'll have good accuracy (Good accuracy in cRPG = almost unplayable accuracy in Native), and with Horn bow + bodkins you'll have enough damage.
85 wpf vs 70 wpf in 2H - you'll need more wpf in 2H, instead you'll pay repair bills every round. Also, difference between 70 and 85 wpf is huge.
5 IF versus 0 IF. It's a difference between dead archer and live archer.
5 PS - same 5 ps. Enough for Mace, or 2hander with 40+ cut damage.
7 Athl versus 5 Athl. Well, I think that best positioning is too important for archery (run fast, take flank, etc). 7 athletics can save your live with shielders, can help with cav avoiding. And you'll need athletics for speed bonus, to add damage to your melee part.

With this build, your main enemy is cavalry. I can advise you something longer than bastard sword with good stab damage. You can try German GS, or Heavy bastard sword at least.
Also - every infantry player will stun your blocking bastard sword with overheads. This is second argument to find something heavier.

Last advise - Bec is better than any 2H weapon for archer hybrid.

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »
Langes messer military sickle or mace is your best weapon as a hybrid.  1 slot with a horn bow and 2 stacks of bodkins.