26 (17.4%)
Long Bow
36 (24.2%)
War Bow
21 (14.1%)
None(I don't use bows)
39 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: The Best Bow  (Read 3999 times)

Offline D_the_Barbarian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
    • View Profile
    • I have no website
  • Faction: none
  • Game nicks: D_the_Barbarian and Millions of alts like D_the_Female.
The Best Bow
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:06 am »
I am starting an archer alt. and i need to know which bow is the best. I hear a lot of people like the strong, long, and war bows but i don't know the pros and cons of each and which one is the best overall bow form someone who has used a bow's perspective.
On a similar note, it is imperative to carry smoke bombs. Archers get confused because they're so ineffective that they pause to wonder why, so they end up being as effective as intended.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: The Best Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:30:03 am »
Using ever bow besides the second weakest one, honestly I have to say that the Strongbow is the best bow overall. Using the stronbow allows you to be a properly deadly horse archer or a fast shooting accurate ground archer. One slot bow means that you can carry a proper melee weapon or just take as many snapshots as you want with three quivers. Hell, you can even make a hybrid with it and just one quiver (don't do that though unless you really know what you are doing).

Longbow is to be considered if you want to have a massive penalty in archer duels and not be able to take snapshots. Good for far shooting, great for taking out tin cans.

Warbow I use because I am stubborn, and because I loved the look of the old model (too late now). It can defend itself against archers (especially if masterworked, no problem really), and works well with builds that have 7 or 8 power draw (6 powerdraw I experimented with and don't bother just take a strongbow). It is the best for sniping (if you can make long distance shots properly), but as of now it is unpopular amongst the three bows. I still like it though.

TL:DR Use a Strongbow to get the basics of archery, then next gen use what you want.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:21 am »
Great post, and I'll agree on what Tears said. I personally prefer the strongbow.

Offline Adrian

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »
Lol everyone always wants to know which bow is "best". Truthfully there is no such thing. Basically what i'll do for you however, is i'll break down each bow for you, pros and cons, and hopefully that will help you make a choice if you haven't already.

Strong Bow: Hmmmm how I hate the strong bow yet I would ultimately recommend this bow as your archer's choice. This bow offers the most versatility being that it only takes up 1 slot allowing you to choose any 1 slot weapon while still enabling you to equip 2 quivers of your choice of arrows. The bow has good short-medium range accuracy with minor arrow drop. The bow also fires extremely fast in comparison to a long bow.

The biggest downfall to this bow I feel is its lack in damage, especially when not heirloomed or without heirloomed arrows. Of course in the end an archer is a support class not necessarily suppose to be top listing on every map as opposed to just wounding and stunning enemies creating a whole world of hell for them. I also really dislike this bow because in my opinion it's just extremely easy to use and for the simple reason that about 80% of all archers use it. Once again though I would still recommend you start out with this bow until you get good at archery then venture into using the higher level bows which in my opinion require a little more skill level to use effectively.

War bow: My secret love, I used to love this bow up until the most recent patching where chadz in all his wisdom made it a 2 slot bow aswell as made it hideously ugly to look at aswell. After the skin change I felt as if I was using a giant twig to fire arrows. The bow however does substantial damage and also fires at a fairly fast speed when compared to a long bow. The bow also has very little arrow drop making it extremely effective at medium-long range. I still standby this bow and consider it the bow to use if you want the balance between damage, speed and accuracy. The bow in my opinion also offers the most quality shots and will allow you to feel like a sniper if used properly.

The biggest downfall for this bow for me is the 2 slots it takes up and the lack of damage when compared to the 2 slot long bow. In reality as an archer you're going to want 2 quivers of arrows and that leaves you without a decent 1 slot weapon rendering you totally useless if you get stuck in a melee fight. Also once again the bow is ugly as sin. So as much as I hated to hang up this bow I felt I had to being that it was just too sub par when compared to the strong bow or long bow.

Long Bow: My recent, personal choice of bow. This bow packs a serious punch of Peirce damage when added in with some decent power draw. If you're looking to score some 2-3 shot kills unheirloomed then this is your bow. Hit someone with an arrow or two from this bad boy and they will be hating you or possibly laying face down in the dirt. The bows damage is by far better than that of any of the bows mentioned above and allows you to take down nearly any target, heavy or lightly armored.

The downfalls for this bow though are many. The bow at times feels so slow it wants to make you cry. The accuracy on this bow is also very poor so you honestly won't be able to utilize it effectively until level 30. Also with this bow you want to avoid archer vs archer fights at all costs being that you are stuck with a much slower firing rate when compared to other archers. Once again like the war bow this bow is a 2 slot bow basically rendering you useless if thrown into a melee fight situation. So until you become an experienced archer and learn the ins and outs I would avoid this bow, but I do recommend you try one out for a little bit if you stick with archery long enough to reach level 30.

Anyway, sorry for the long read. Hope this at least helps you out a little bit in making a choice.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:41:52 pm »
Atm all you need to know is that there are only 2 bows to ever take into consideration:

- Strong bow: fast bow, optimal for close/medium range and near battle situations. 1 slot (meaning the chance of a decent melee weapon or 3 quivers).

- Long bow: slow bow, optimal for medium/long range situations with the plus of pierce damage, dealing massive damage to high armored targets. 2 slots.

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »
I must say adrian if thats you in your photo your one smooth looking guy.

Offline Adrian

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:21:53 pm »
Atm all you need to know is that there are only 2 bows to ever take into consideration:

- Strong bow: fast bow, optimal for close/medium range and near battle situations. 1 slot (meaning the chance of a decent melee weapon or 3 quivers).

- Long bow: slow bow, optimal for medium/long range situations with the plus of pierce damage, dealing massive damage to high armored targets. 2 slots.

I agree with this, those 2 bows are really the only ones worth using unheirloomed.

@warlord: yes that's me and i'm flattered you would say so even though it might be a bad idea to make a comment on here like that to another guy

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:27:00 pm »
@warlord: yes that's me and i'm flattered you would say so even though it might be a bad idea to make a comment on here like that to another guy

haha it aint gay if your balls dont touch my friend : )

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:10 am »
I'm partial to the Khergit Bow. Mine is Masterworked so it does the same damage as default Strongbow while being slighty faster, which helps trading shots with other archers. Another plus for me is that, well, I'd rather have my character using something that may not be the best choice from a purely stat-derived standpoint but that makes them stand apart in their load-out. That's the RPG element for me I guess. Honestly I almost wish I had gone with the Nomad Bow since I'm seeing Khergit Bows more these days.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline winterfel

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 04:20:26 am »
i am new in the game and sorry for the newbie question but i havent found a answer, what is the name of the strong bow? is it rus bow? yumi? horn bow? tatar bow?

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:58 am »
Old Strong Bow = New Rus Bow, iirc

(This is an old thread, and as such most of the information is outdated)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:27:59 am by Earthdforce »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gomer

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • Skill Crutcher
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gomer
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:40:03 am »
Old Strong Bow = New Rus Bow, iirc

(This is an old thread, and as such most of the information is outdated)

NONONONO Strong Bow=Horn Bow,War Bow = Rus Bow,Long Bow = Shit

Best Bow.... I love my Rus but Im switching to Horn. Rus = Kills but Horn= Archer duels and owns horses. Rus good for begging archers Horn good for people that go for headshots. Hell I may even try Tatar good for strat and good for HS hunters (like me). All opinion... try em all but generically begging Rus is better slower pullback gives more time to aim and more dmg if your not hitting the head.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »
+1
Ah, this thread was back when the LB was the only way to get pierce... Fascinating... Feels good to still have stuck with my Rus Bow and not give it up like all the others for the now-nerfed LB!  :mrgreen:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gomer

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • Skill Crutcher
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gomer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 01:01:04 am »
+1
Ah, this thread was back when the LB was the only way to get pierce... Fascinating... Feels good to still have stuck with my Rus Bow and not give it up like all the others for the now-nerfed LB!  :mrgreen:
My clanie Havoc... Or was it Valdian... Anhyway One of my clanies MW them all and a set of bodkins. I asked why and he said "For when the next patch ruins one of the bows I will still have one good bow" and I believe that was a well put point.