Author Topic: Need help with armor set for 2h player  (Read 1168 times)

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Need help with armor set for 2h player
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:50:36 pm »
Hello all,

I'm a bit confused on what armor (specific pieces please) I should be using with a 2h build, 27 / 12. I am using a long sword because I like speedy swingy weapons. I also have 2 shield skill so I can equip shields when I play sieges and am trying to get over a wall with archers, etc. Please give me your input!

Currently I have

Chest: light kuyak (13 weight)
Head: Strange War Mask (2.5)
Black Greaves (3.8)
Wisby Gauntlets (.8)
Round Cavalry Shield (4.5) - mostly on my back due to the limited use

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with armor set for 2h player
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »
1. Combining mongol equipment with normal looks just ridiculous. Go with vaegir style helmets instead.
2. Why so heavy boots? With kuyak 2.5 weight boots are the max.

Light kuyak (13 weight)
Vaegir war mask (3)
Rus splinted greaves (2.5)
Wisby Gauntlets (.8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:56:55 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »
thanks for the input. I heard in another thread I shouldnt go over 13 weight?! Is there a certain number I should stay below?

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
With only 4 athletics as you have such a strenght-heavy build you will move like snail anyways. If you have reasonable amount of ironflesh I'd go with much heavier armor (like Druzhina Elite Lamellar Armor if you like the looks), remember to scale helmet and boots accordingly to your chest piece.

Weight of armor decreases your swing speed.

PS. Oh, btw. longsword + str build isnt good idea. You need a longer weapon with higher damage.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:00:28 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:52:57 pm »
Your armour causes a reduction in your effective wpf, to have no effective wpf reduction you need to stay below 7.7 weight gear. Thats with your head armour weight counting x3 and your hand armour weight counting x2, or the other way around. Thats only useful if youre an archer or just like speed. Armour is well worth the small decrease in effective wpf.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »
I just wear armour to look cool. I never actually scrutinise the stats.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:20:55 am »
thanks for the input. I heard in another thread I shouldnt go over 13 weight?! Is there a certain number I should stay below?

I think you were reading my post. I said to that guy that he shouldn't go over 13 weight because he was an agi based character, you're deep STR character.

You should use heavier armor, anything from Rus Scale to plate armors. Will work wonders with high health/PS. And yes, longsword + str build isn't a very good idea, get a longer weapon or you will be outranged way too often.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:22:15 am by Vibe »

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:57 am »
Yeah, the near-plate armors, like the Elites are awesome.  The effect on your swing speed with heavy armor isn't as bad as you'd think - moreso your movement speed gets affected.

I agree with that other guy on scaling down your boots too, black greaves aren't necessary, but if you like them and think they look cool, by all means wear them.

Longsword is an awesome weapon, but its best used with 6+ athletics.  If you're doing good with it, keep at it, but try any of the Greatswords out if you can afford them.  Danish has a strong swing while German has a strong thrust.  The Sword of War still sports 93 speed, and is an excellently balanced weapon too.  **EDIT**  Miaodao is a godlike sword too, though its only 115 length, and has no thrust.  If you like the style of it, by all means.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:32:54 am by Uumdi »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:14:25 am »
With 24/15 I played with transitional and heavy gloves. It just pissed people off how long it took them to kill me. I'd say transitional would be an excellent choice for you too, I wouldn't go heavier than that. Anyway, when playing with this build, make it a habit to block first, because you can't outspam anybody.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bongo Fury

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:37:09 pm »
With 24/15 I played with transitional and heavy gloves. It just pissed people off how long it took them to kill me. I'd say transitional would be an excellent choice for you too, I wouldn't go heavier than that. Anyway, when playing with this build, make it a habit to block first, because you can't outspam anybody.

Using the same build as this, with Corrazina armour, gauntlets, and a danish greatsword, and it works very well for me.

100% agree with blocking first though.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »
Hello all,

I'm a bit confused on what armor (specific pieces please) I should be using with a 2h build, 27 / 12. I am using a long sword because I like speedy swingy weapons. I also have 2 shield skill so I can equip shields when I play sieges and am trying to get over a wall with archers, etc. Please give me your input!

Currently I have

Chest: light kuyak (13 weight)
Head: Strange War Mask (2.5)
Black Greaves (3.8)
Wisby Gauntlets (.8)
Round Cavalry Shield (4.5) - mostly on my back due to the limited use

you should also take in account your usual weapon weight and length (it does not affect wpf penalty but still slow you).

i'll make you an example of my actual armor set:

Rus lamellar cuirass: 17kgs
plate mittens: 1.5kgs (x2 as hand armor) = 3kgs
klappvisier: 3kgs (x3 as head armor) = 9kgs
mail boots: 2.8 kgs

now this is a medium to heavy set with +3 chest armor and +3 gauntlets giving you 52head 72body 54legs armor with a total of 34.8 kgs with a morningstar equipped.

i tried 18/21, 21/18, 24/15, 27/12, 30/9 builds and i can say the best compromise with that weight is 24/15 for siege oriented builds, 21/18 for battle oriented builds.

the previous gen i had the 27/12 build and yes was really hard to kill.. was really good in a flag mess or over the walls fighting, while really slow and uncomfortable in open space battles. but i found that 4ath is not really effective because people keep running away from you... also when you're outnumbered, a little higher athletics can really give you a good enough footwork to deal with multiple enemies without taking too much hits. and despite someonelse suggested you, NEVER backpedal when you're outnumbered by hiding you behind your nearest enemy. backpedal just the need to take a breath and start doing good footwork going forward with in-and-out tactics. also 4ath with the rain its really painful. also as tot stated, short weapons need the necessary running speed to avoid being kited by an agi polearm backpedaler.

then i can suggest you to relate your armor weight to the athletics you need and the playstyle you need...

you actually have 29.6 kgs of armor weight. with a longsword you will have 31.4 total kgs. with that weight, i would not go under 5ATH. also, i would use heavier gauntlets if your wallet can afford the upkeep. high tier hand armor have a really good armor to weight ratio so, with x5 you can easly go with plate mittens.

also, black greaves are useless in my opinion. leg armor is not worth that much protection... better taking away 1kg there and add it on body armor so look at mail boots or similar. and if i can suggest you a really good but underrated weapon, take a greataxe. yes it's unbalanced but there isn't that much feint spam anymore since the trend gone toward hold attacks. the greataxe can stun lighter weapons, break shields, have a nice swing speed and 43 cut damage. it's a good siege weapon like the mornigstar... i even did a gen with a +3 longsword and i had fun with that but wasn't that much effective. specially against turtles, even worse against poleaxes that stun your blocks... and since longsword need a good powerstrike amount but also a good athletics amount, i would go with something more efficient. (still a really good duel weapon tho).

in the end, i would go 24/15 at 30 and 24/15 maxed IF at 31. if you plan to use a slightly lighter armor, you can do 27/12 to balance with HP the lower armor factor.