Author Topic: Arrow damage question  (Read 1192 times)

Offline noxnoctum

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
Arrow damage question
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:58 pm »
I've gotten conflicting answers on this in-game.

Do bodkin arrows always do the most damage, or do tatar do more against targets with less armor on? If tatar are better against light armor, at what point are bodkin better? (what amount of armor in other words)

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: Arrow damage question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:13:38 pm »
I've gotten conflicting answers on this in-game.

Do bodkin arrows always do the most damage, or do tatar do more against targets with less armor on? If tatar are better against light armor, at what point are bodkin better? (what amount of armor in other words)

Cut does the most damage if someone has light armor.  So cut arrows are nice especially against horses and other archers.  Bodkin pierces armor but does not get a damage boost.  So whatever damage your bow does, is what it will do.

In a way, Every arrow does "More damage" than the bodkin.  Although, the Bodkin goes through armor more often so you may hurt people more then with cut.

This is more of Cut vs Pierce conversation.  In most cases, pierce wins.  Although, pierce always comes with a downside in some way.  (In this case, no extra damage)

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:10 pm »
+2
Well let's say you're using a Longbow and Bodkins, your base damage will be 31p so combine that with 6 PD and you can deal out quite a bit of damage against everyone across the board. Tin cans will hate you, and everyone else will too.

Now let's say you are using a Longbow and Tatars, your base damage will be 35c with 6 PD. You will do just a little bit more damage on very light to the mediumish armors. But when you see tin cans you will do slightly less damage but you can still hurt em.

Now the damage difference between 31p and 35c is very negligible, I say it is better to get pierce. Because you will do better damage across the board. Cut damage drops off dramatically, while pierce stays constant. So 4 extra cut damage shouldn't be taken over pierce.

The only advantage to using Tatar arrows is to get 3+ arrows over the bodkins.

Also what people seem to not know is that Bodkins get +2 pierce when MW'd.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:34:36 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline noxnoctum

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:40 pm »
Ok thanks guys, along similar lines, how big a difference does momentum make to an arrow's damage (as a horse archer say)? Like is it very significant if you're going full speed when you release or not much?

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:01:22 am »
I don't think arrows get a speed bonus at all from shooting from horseback. You only get a bonus to damage if the enemy is running directly at you when you shoot him.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:18:58 am »
Arrows, bolts and throwing weapons get a "speed bonus" from your momentum on horseback & also from the momentum of the victim.

afaik Ranged weapons from the ground only get the movement speed of the victim calculated into the "speed bonus"

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:28:10 am »
When I play with light armor ( 14 head armor, 20 body armor, 27 leg armor) I get far less damage from bodkin arrows. I can usually take 2 hits but often die from 1 arrow with cut damage. Of course it also depends on the amount of PD, the bow and various loom levels.
If you wanna hunt tincans go bodkin, if you go counter-ranged then cut damage is probably better.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:05 am »
Not just tincans - even against mail, I believe bodkins will do more damage. Tatar arrows and others are best used against horses and lightly armored ranged infantry. If you are HA, it makes it much easier to choose low armor targets. You also save cash on arrows by not using bodkins. It helps since your horse will cost you a lot in repairs.

I've done 8 PD foot archer and I loved using tatar arrows and longbow against horses and low armor targets. Higher PD multiplies your damage more, so the few extra points of cut damage are a bigger difference. If you go for 10 or even 12 PD, tatar arrows will pack a nasty punch.

If you are going 6 PD or less as a foot archer I'd suggest bodkins. No stress on finding targets. Plate armored guys rarely use a shield so you can just fire on them. Use one stack of arrows when the server has 60 or less people, two stacks of arrows if you are facing more enemies. You probably won't need them even then, unless the map has good archer nests.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »
I've noticed that most ppl have medium and heavy armor. Only ranged, ninjas and some leechers or agi shielders are using low armor.
I totally prefer bodkins, but still even with MW bodkins and MW long bow ppl survive headshots. 
Archer forever :D

Offline jacouille

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:55 am »
Bodkin ftw.