Author Topic: Great lances  (Read 3351 times)

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: Great lances
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 02:26:11 am »
The great lance is really only effective on a courser, the speed prevents infantry from moving out of the way and drastically increases the damage, still not in the 1-hit area of yesteryear once your armor exceeds 60 or so unless you hit them in the head, which does do double damage similar to arrows and other melee weapons.

Using the great lance on a rouncey or cata-type heavy horse doesn't do enough damage and is easy to dodge, due the low speed of the horses and slow maneuvering of those horses.

Choosing the great lance over a stabbing lance also severely reduces your effectiveness against enemy cav. 1-1 it may be slightly weaker but when faced with multiple opponents you are at a tremendous disadvantage and there isn't really any pro to offset these cons.

Cons:
Low damage (very reliant on speed), low accuracy (easy to dodge), poor ability to fight other cav

Pros:
Mostly unblockable (can be chambered and blocked with a shield), out ranges most infantry weapons, cheap
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:28:23 am by PhantomZero »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 08:02:56 pm »
The great lance is really only effective on a courser, the speed prevents infantry from moving out of the way and drastically increases the damage, still not in the 1-hit area of yesteryear once your armor exceeds 60 or so unless you hit them in the head, which does do double damage similar to arrows and other melee weapons.

Using the great lance on a rouncey or cata-type heavy horse doesn't do enough damage and is easy to dodge, due the low speed of the horses and slow maneuvering of those horses.

Choosing the great lance over a stabbing lance also severely reduces your effectiveness against enemy cav. 1-1 it may be slightly weaker but when faced with multiple opponents you are at a tremendous disadvantage and there isn't really any pro to offset these cons.

Cons:
Low damage (very reliant on speed), low accuracy (easy to dodge), poor ability to fight other cav

Pros:
Mostly unblockable (can be chambered and blocked with a shield), out ranges most infantry weapons, cheap

Those are exactly the reasons I always use it and I mostly use the Warhorse. It's much less usefull than the H. Lance in almost all ways except when fighting infantry. People aren't really used to it so they try the normal "stab with a fucking long sword" tactic against it, which means I kill them without them ever touching me (because of the length). People jumping into a couched lance is always hilarious too.

Also a con you forgot about. You can easily drop it when you fight archers adn finish them off with your 1h/shield or 2h or LHB or whatever slicing weapon you use. I always laugh when they pick it up, trying to stab me, only to find out it's a couch-only weapon xD

But really, it is way too underpowered compared to the heavy/normal/light lances. I don't want it to have increased damage, a stab or longer range, though, I just want it to be 1 slot instead of 2. It really wont imbalance the game and with the "make high tier horses 1 slot" it would REALLY balance cav.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Vlad007

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • My jousting Armour
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 12:54:24 am »
Definitely don't want stab added to it.

All that needs to happen is that the range is increased so that it out ranges all other stabbed lances and pole arms except the Pike.

+1
Death or Glory

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 04:31:45 am »
Also a con you forgot about. You can easily drop it when you fight archers adn finish them off with your 1h/shield or 2h or LHB or whatever slicing weapon you use. I always laugh when they pick it up, trying to stab me, only to find out it's a couch-only weapon xD

Oh yeah, I forgot about this and I do it all the time, but it is definitely a pro.

Don't have to worry about your lance coming back to bite you in the ass if you switch to a sidearm.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login