Author Topic: Sarissas...  (Read 435 times)

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
Sarissas...
« on: October 01, 2011, 02:40:18 am »
The sarissa was the choice polearm of phalangites of the macedonian armies post phillip reform. The weapon was typically around 5m long and completely useless for single combat, but rather very effective in formations. It was wielded with 2 hands but to the forward facing arm a buckler was attached that could be used as some defence vs arrow fire. Now infantry are constantly complaining about having no way to deal with cav without being exposed to arrow fire, maybe we could introduce this weapon into the game.

The buckler would be the main issue, off the top of my head I can come up with 2 methods of implementation :

- treat the sarissa as a 1h polearm, only  code it to be only usable with certain smaller shields i.e. the buckler.
- add a buckler to the 2h animation on the appropriate arm, then do a lot of coding nonsense I dont understand (and may not be possible) to have the buckler defend from arrows to some degree.

The sarissa would be unsheathable and in 1 on 1 melee would be completely useless at blocking.

I also realise this would be probably a lot of coding that is either problematic or just time consuming so just bouncing this idea off the wall ;)
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
Re: Sarissas...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:57:10 am »
better yet, make it 4 slot and make buckler(s) 0 slot - my suggestion.
there should be way more bucklers, like wooden ones, imho. they were basic medieval equipment.
dunno, 4 slot is quite mean ...

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 03:13:33 am »
Targe?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:15:19 am »
It's much more exciting if you have a screenshot [ :>
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.