Author Topic: Potential Shield Builds?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Potential Shield Builds?
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:34:31 am »
I have been playing on and off for a while as a two-hander and recently picked up a shield on a new character to try it out. So far I am ejoying the shield user, even though I am not very good at it just yet.

I have a few build ideas that I was looking for feedback on.

Firstly, I know that I am using a Knightly Arming Sword as my primary weapon that I plan to heirloom first. I am unsure of the armor, but likely heraldic mail just like almost everyone else. My shield is either going to be a basic heater shield (the one with the lion symbol, not the half moon), a knightly heater shield, or possibly a huscarl if my final build takes a lot of shield skill.

Build #1: High Strength, simple and focused
Currently using this build.

Strength: 24
Agility: 15
Hit points: 59

One Handed: 148

Converted: 8
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 8
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 5

Build #1a

I have also considered a similar 21/15 build with 7 PS and Iron flesh and 5 in shield/atheltics/WM

Build #2 Throwing hybrid, similar to above

Strength: 21
Hit points: 56

One Handed: 134
Throwing: 80

Converted: 2
Power Strike: 7
Power Throw: 7

I know that these are common right now, but I am only guessing at how they tend to be designed.

Build 3

Strength: 15
Agility: 21

One Handed: 164

Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 7
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7

Or similar to above, the balanced build with 18/18, 6 in all relevant skills but 5 Iron Flesh. If I go with a faster/weaker build I might consider heirlooming a pick instead of a sword.

I know that these builds are probably fairly generic looking to someone who has been playing a shielder for a while, but since I have not I am just looking for some simple feedback to make sure I am not misunderstanding something and making an obvious build mistake. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:46:28 am by Tenzek »

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Shield Builds?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:57:38 am »
The first build and second build are fine, the third build either go full out iron flesh or not at all.  Putting only 3 points into IF will not help you all that much, better to spend those points elsewhere.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:00:08 am »
I have been playing on and off for a while as a two-hander and recently picked up a shield on a new character to try it out. So far I am ejoying the shield user, even though I am not very good at it just yet.

I have a few build ideas that I was looking for feedback on.

Firstly, I know that I am using a Knightly Arming Sword as my primary weapon that I plan to heirloom first. I am unsure of the armor, but likely heraldic mail just like almost everyone else. My shield is either going to be a basic heater shield (the one with the lion symbol, not the half moon), a knightly heater shield, or possibly a huscarl if my final build takes a lot of shield skill.

Build #1: High Strength, simple and focused
Currently using this build.

Strength: 24
Hit points: 59

One Handed: 148

Converted: 8
Power Strike: 8

Build #1a

I have also considered a similar 21/15 build with 7 PS and Iron flesh and 5 in shield/atheltics/WM

Build #2 Throwing hybrid, similar to above

Strength: 21

One Handed: 134
Throwing: 80

Power Strike: 7
Power Throw: 7

I know that these are common right now, but I am only guessing at how they tend to be designed.

Build 3

Ironflesh: 3
Shield: 7

Or similar to above, the balanced build with 18/18, 6 in all relevant skills but 5 Iron Flesh. If I go with a faster/weaker build I might consider heirlooming a pick instead of a sword.

I know that these builds are probably fairly generic looking to someone who has been playing a shielder for a while, but since I have not I am just looking for some simple feedback to make sure I am not misunderstanding something and making an obvious build mistake. Thanks.

build #1 *is* my build when I do spear and shield(just 2 gens ago The_Last_Spamurai was a spear/shielder/polearm) I like that because you hit the softcap for wpf(150ish) and you have high PS for weapons(1h) that don't have impressive "damage" stats

I've done alot of experimenting with higher agility and.........
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:19:25 am »
The first build and second build are fine, the third build either go full out iron flesh or not at all.  Putting only 3 points into IF will not help you all that much, better to spend those points elsewhere.

Those 3 points can only go into IF, riding or PT. PT is the best choice if you want the strongest build. Riding is only good for getting around fast, don't try and engage real cav with only 3 riding. IF gives you a little bitty extra survivability. PT for strongest build, riding for fun, IF for not getting one shot quite as much.

The builds look good. Personally I have a planned 21/18 and a planned 18/18. I tend to start new alts long before I reach 30 though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:21:07 am by IG_Saint »

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 04:52:23 am »
Those 3 points can only go into IF, riding or PT. PT is the best choice if you want the strongest build. Riding is only good for getting around fast, don't try and engage real cav with only 3 riding. IF gives you a little bitty extra survivability. PT for strongest build, riding for fun, IF for not getting one shot quite as much.

The builds look good. Personally I have a planned 21/18 and a planned 18/18. I tend to start new alts long before I reach 30 though.

Personally, I would go with the following over Build 3:

Ironflesh: 5

Or go with Throwing without wpf in it.  But that is me.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:53:48 am by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:40 am »

How does the 21/18 work? What skill are you leaving a bit lower?

7 PS
6 Athletics, Shield and WM would be two points over your total.

I am having a hard time making that seem like a good idea to me, since you'd basically only get to choose one of those three agi skills to take to level 6 at the cost of an additional 3 attribute points, while the others stay at 5. Don't really need WM, but both shield and athletics would be really nice. Is it worth the 8% damage and 3 more HP of going strength, though? Maybe it would be if you had the points for both shield and athletics.

I admit that I am not sure how powerful/needed it is to go to 8 PS though. Currently my build is only up to 5 PS and seems to be starting to do fairly well.

My basic line of thinking is:

1) Slower build, higher strength - use a longer ranged bladed weapon. You gain reach to offset your lack of speed, and your high strength helps to overcome the reistance to cut damage.

2) Faster build (like build 3) - use a blunt or piercing weapon like the steel pick or warhammer. You lack range but gain the footspeed needed to use the weapon, and the lack of strength is helped by the damage type's armor penatration.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:04:23 am by Tenzek »