Author Topic: Concerning the balance of cRPG (Metabalance discussion)  (Read 708 times)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
Concerning the balance of cRPG (Metabalance discussion)
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:35 pm »
+4
Hey.

Please do not regard this as just another whine thread. It isn't. But it is something that I hope the developers of cRPG are willing to consider.
I don't need to say that we all enjoy the game, else I wouldn't be spending time writing this, nor that it is good that there is a continuous effort to balance the game out.

However, through several patches the balance of items has not been restricted to +/- of damage. It is everything from damage types to speed, blocking, horsen, no horse, angles, arrow speed, slots etc. all of which alters the function of a weapon entirely. Some of the changes good, some of them extreme, some of them redundant others game breaking.
Combining this with the effort people less dedicated to the game have put into gaining a single heirloom often made redundant by a new balance idea.

What I would really like you to do, is to figure out what role you want a weapon to have compared to other weapons, make sure that when you balance an item this weapon is still at least viable in this role.

I am sorry to say but the balancing of the past year has been schizophrenic at best. Ridiculous when worst.

Listen less to trolls of cRPG with extreme opinions and find a consistent role/path for each equipment type.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:19:49 pm by Kalam »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Concerning the balance of cRPG (Metabalance discussion)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »
Reserved  (for troll post)
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: Concerning the balance of cRPG (Metabalance discussion)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »
I think the OP misses an important part of cRPG balance: everything is flexible.  Huey takes horses onto roofs, small hammers can defeat knights, and my 33 cut sword can sometimes take down a charging horse.  The attitude towards balance of "these are the molds we want items to fill" is flawed from the get go if one is working with such a flexible game (and community).  Instead, mods balance things once they see how the community reacts to changes in-game.  It seems to be the mods prerogative to even out gamebreaking flaws rather than to impose strict pre-conceived item roles on the community.

And, personally, I prefer exploring games rather than having every item/build be a very restricted and known quantity.