Author Topic: The best unrealized solution to the Pike and "long spear"  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The best unrealized solution to the Pike and "long spear"
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 09:47:25 pm »
weapon weight SHOULD lower wpf.. :)

Another tool to balance those big ass weapons. Pay for weapon length and dmg in wpf reduction.

yes... make lightweight probable high wpf users outspam them even more. Brilliant suggestion.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »
I support this proposal, i love blockstun

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 01:09:29 am »
yes... make lightweight probable high wpf users outspam them even more. Brilliant suggestion.

It's almost as if Thomek's every suggestion aims to buff katana users. But naaaahhhh, it's just my imagination.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 03:53:33 am »
Trololol..

Yes because big ass swords or poles are not only the best dueling weapons, they are ALSO the best battle weapons out there.

It is true that I want katana buffed.. But generally I'm so sick of the Danish I want to puke.

IMO.

There should be battle swords, great for dishing out damage in battle, but they should not ALSO be the best in 1vs1 duel situations.

Let's forget the Katana for a second. (I consider that horse a dead one..)

Wouldn't you like it if the Longsword was clearly best in duels, and the Greatswords better in Battle?

That way, when you went to battle, you could own the same way you do now in masses, but you could ALSO choose the longsword if you tried to create 1vs1 situations on the battlefield, i.ex by flanking?

See where I'm going?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Tungsten

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:03 am »
You want to be a pikeman? 3 Slots, be a pikeman.

Want to carry a bec with the pike? Too bad, you're not a pikeman.
Tungsten_ATS

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:36 am »
Wouldn't you like it if the Longsword was clearly best in duels, and the Greatswords better in Battle?

Not possible. If you make Longsword "clearly best" in duels then Greatswords won't be better in battle, either, as you'd need to buff the longsword a lot or nerf the Greatswords a lot. As it is, the only reason longsword isn't used more is because of its shitty thrust damage.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »
Here's some maths.

Density of European Ash = 710Kg/m3 
Length of Pike = 3m
Radius of Pike = 0.03m (an estimate)
Calculation:  Mass = Density*Length*pi*Radius2
Mass of Pike = 6.02Kg = 13.25lbs

For the record, my estimates would bring the Ashwood Pike out at 3.33Kg so they seem pretty good to me.

In order to weigh in at just 3Kg, the cRPG pike would have a density of just 353.7Kg/m3, which would put it down as being made of Bamboo (300-400Kg/m3).

Conclusions: 
10Kg seems a bit high for any Pike to me. It would need to be nearly 8cm in diameter.
However, looking at the model, the cRPG Pike should be Ash and not Bamboo and should therefore weigh around 6Kg rather than 3. 

Offline Deathwhisper

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »
Trololol..

Yes because big ass swords or poles are not only the best dueling weapons, they are ALSO the best battle weapons out there.

It is true that I want katana buffed.. But generally I'm so sick of the Danish I want to puke.

IMO.

There should be battle swords, great for dishing out damage in battle, but they should not ALSO be the best in 1vs1 duel situations.

Let's forget the Katana for a second. (I consider that horse a dead one..)

That way, when you went to battle, you could own the same way you do now in masses, but you could ALSO choose the longsword if you tried to create 1vs1 situations on the battlefield, i.ex by flanking?

See where I'm going?

Depends on the weapon. English bill is a great battle weapon but it's shit in 1v1 against someone who knows how to block thrusts. Quarter staff is a good dueling weapon (and it's 1 slot) but it's bad in battles.

Not all dueling weapons are good in battle, and in fact I think long polearms (halberd, bill, long spears...) are much better than swords poleaxes in battles, as long as you've got a good team of course.

A lot of short weapons are good in duel but much weaker in battle, unless you're playing a shielder of course.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:40:14 pm by Deathwhisper »