Author Topic: High STR/IF/Armor combo  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
Re: High STR/IF/Armor combo
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:45:58 pm »
It's two different playstyles. I'm currently running 30/9, and the main difference is that I can't always choose my battles. I can't run away from zerg groups, which gets me ganked quite a lot. With a strenght build you either have to camp, or make sure you have backup a.k.a babysitters watching your ass. This build is decent in big melee fights, however I think I prefer some more athletics over the extra HP and powerstrike.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »
On my strength build, I want to be zerged by agi characters. Getting surrounded by a bunch of weaklings ( 18/21 or more agi) and using their quick uncoordinated group movements against them usually makes me come out on top.

Strength builds, just like anything else though, should not be alone. You shouldn't camp, and definitely shouldn't need to be babysat.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »
Disagree entirely with your post... Babysitting was an extreme expression, however you still need to stick to a group of allies to survive usually (with good backup, especially pikes, you're a real killing machine). Of course you can win 1 vs 3 or even more if you're playing against bad players. However, an agility build can run away, kite, change tactics or quickly change position when needed, which a strenght build can't without imediate backup (if enemies are close ofc). Not to mention, with an edge of athletics, you will catch up with players trying to run away.

Also, you're toast versus a group of semi- good players if you're alone, and since the average skill seems to be increasing in general, getting zerged is usually not a very clever tactic...

That doesn't make strenght builds worse by any margin, it has it's upsides as well of course. It's just a somewhat different playstyle imo. I personally think that really skilled players do better with at least 5 athletics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:55:55 pm by Lezard »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 08:39:17 am »
Disagree entirely with your post... Babysitting was an extreme expression, however you still need to stick to a group of allies to survive usually (with good backup, especially pikes, you're a real killing machine). Of course you can win 1 vs 3 or even more if you're playing against bad players. However, an agility build can run away, kite, change tactics or quickly change position when needed, which a strenght build can't without imediate backup (if enemies are close ofc). Not to mention, with an edge of athletics, you will catch up with players trying to run away.

Also, you're toast versus a group of semi- good players if you're alone, and since the average skill seems to be increasing in general, getting zerged is usually not a very clever tactic...

That doesn't make strenght builds worse by any margin, it has it's upsides as well of course. It's just a somewhat different playstyle imo. I personally think that really skilled players do better with at least 5 athletics.

my 30/9 build i can finish off a group of 3 or more players on the regular, its more difficult against good teams and good players yes, but you shouldn't be soloing good players in the first place. I imagine that a group of 5 str builds would be indestructable minus throwers and range

Offline Captain_Georges

• Count
  • Renown: 238
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • 0==[]:::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vangaboys
  • Game nicks: Captain_Georges
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 11:08:36 am »
+2
I am not loosing 10k gold per a few rounds for my plate to suck.
cRPG needs guns

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »
Doesn't each point of STR give 1 point of hp? It would be difficult to reduce this bonus, right? You could discard it altogether, but that would greatly increase the benefit of IF (not a horrible idea though, I actually kind of like it; perhaps increase each point of IF to 3 hp). Armor should be as protective as it is now, or moreso (and more expensive if more protective).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:45:36 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Hisagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saints of War
  • Game nicks: SoW_BS_Toby_Moogle_King, sK_BlackHawk
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 02:44:17 am »
Could also just make cut damage actually do damage against anything higher than Lamellar :o
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hisagi's Den of Gewdies

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 05:33:16 am »
my 30/9 build i can finish off a group of 3 or more players on the regular, its more difficult against good teams and good players yes, but you shouldn't be soloing good players in the first place. I imagine that a group of 5 str builds would be indestructable minus throwers and range

Um... that's... kind of the point? You don't have athletics so you can't choose to "not get zerged".. you can't choose your battles so you can't choose not to solo good players.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 02:52:24 pm »
I'm getting bored of americans raving about str builds all the time, going 27/15 polearm build this gen and will see if its worth all the fuss...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login