Author Topic: Why am i always getting outswung?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline r4mmr0d

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Why am i always getting outswung?
« on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:22 pm »
Hey guys, i'm only lvl 22 at the moment so i'm experimenting with costlier builds.  My char is currently 16/15 with 128 polearm WP, and 4 WM.  I'm rolling with a German Poleaxe, 2.5 weight difficulty 13 helm, and 20 weight difficulty 13 chest.  I find that in 1v1 i can usually parry relatively well, but i get trapped and simply cannot swing fast enough once i have successfully parried. This usually results in situations where i block about 3 2hander blows and then get smacked once when trying to return, and then die to a second blow while recovering/ after another block/swing round.  I am simply stuck on the defensive, and i typically can't make room via backpedal because my opponent is pressing his advantage.
This is particularly annoying with one handers: i can pop shields quickly enough with the side swing of the GP, but i get rushed/swarmed to the point where the naked guy with the fast club will quickly intercept my hugely slow swings and just rate of fire me down.  Is this problem in part an equipment thing? am i geared too heavily? Is there a specific technique i really need to know?  Also, entirely unrelated, but what the hell is with 1 handed axes that hit around 1.5x again their length? 

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: Why am i always getting outswung?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:43:59 pm »
+1
move the opposite side of where the swing is comming from

Offline r4mmr0d

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »
Do you mean as i block? Or after i block and as i throw a side swing?  BTW, do Overhand and Thrusting  blows with the german poleaxe take longer/ is one better for that situation?

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »
+1
Do you mean as i block? Or after i block and as i throw a side swing?  BTW, do Overhand and Thrusting  blows with the german poleaxe take longer/ is one better for that situation?

if your opponent swings ---->

you move <-------

and swing -----> after you block

this way you ensure that it'll take longer for your opponent to hit you while your swing animation hits him faster.

this is what your opponent is doing, its called a castor swing. With experience, you don't even need to block, just swing while following this template

also, thrust vs overhead is equal in speed. Close range u should overhead as thrust can wiff close range. However, thrust is more effective vs armored and is more useful in team ganks because overhead can backswing your teamate

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:03:22 pm by Thucydides »

Offline r4mmr0d

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »
Thanks very much, I appreciate the help!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:16:47 pm »
With polearms, especially slower ones, the left-to-right swing is way faster, when trying to return an attack. It's like the left-to-right swing of 1handers.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:57 pm »
To add to this, it could also be that you aren't responding after your block quickly enough.  I know that sometimes if I swing and see that there is a split second delay from the enemy in response I can get another quick swing in before theirs lands.  So working on your response time could be part of it.

As others mentioned positioning and the proper swings are also really important.  If they are on your right and you don't turn into your swing and attack left it takes a long time for your swing to go all the way over to them.  They'll probably have gotten another shot at you by then.

I remember having a similar problem early on by getting "spammed" and while it is frustrating it's important to know that there are things you can do to avoid getting overwhelmed like that.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »
I'm Gen 5, also polearm with a Mighty Long Bardiche (90 speed) and usually around 125ish WPF, and I still haven't managed to consistently get in counter-attacks vs. the fast 2-hand swords (Longsword/Katana/Heavy Bastard). They swing, I block, then I swing, but I get struck mid-swing.

It's frustrating as hell, and I still haven't found a consistent solution. It shouldn't require perfect timing, positioning, and rotating into your swings just to be able to execute an attack against someone.

So I feel your pain.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 06:12:49 pm »
GLB vs spammers? Left-to-right swing is your friend.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 06:25:38 pm »
i've found with good footwork, even with 100~ effective WPF and a 98speed 1 hander I can outspam most 2h/pole user 50% of the time.  Of course I expose myself to unneeded risk, but hey thats why I wear armor.  I'm a Viking, we're aggressive.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:34:29 pm »
i've found with good footwork, even with 100~ effective WPF and a 98speed 1 hander I can outspam most 2h/pole user 50% of the time.  Of course I expose myself to unneeded risk, but hey thats why I wear armor.  I'm a Viking, we're aggressive.

theres your problem

Try spamming with a GLB, that shit is funny as fuck

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »
How so?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:42:11 pm »
theres your problem

Try spamming with a GLB, that shit is funny as fuck

I wasnt saying he could.  I'm merely saying there are often large exceptions to the 'my turn, your turn' convention

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:33:03 pm »
+2
"...and the Lord said, 'Thou shalt turn into thy swing so that thine weapon hits earlier in its animation.' And the people did rejoice, for with reduced chance of glancing their weapons would not bounce as they turned into their opponents side while swinging."

- Book of Melee Excellence 4:15
visitors can't see pics , please register or login