Author Topic: Game speed / Pure classes & hybrids / Teamplay  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Game speed / Pure classes & hybrids / Teamplay
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »
+1
I made this thread after reading this one: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2157.msg36380/topicseen.html#new

chadz has made this game more fun for each patch in my opinion.

You rarely see an "elephant" nowadays and I'm pretty sure most of us are quite happy with that. The same goes for "tincans".
The upkeep has been a success.

You get XP no matter if you are near combat or not. Even if you die you get it.
This has also been a success. No more need to leech. Suiciders and ninja style players as well as cav vs cav fights are now much more common etc.

However I don't know what will come next so I just want to remind you about the importance of game speed and challange (game difficulty).
After reading all threads about buffing/nerfing stuff I have a feeling this mod might become slower which would probably make it less fun.

Game speed

If I were to decide a good player should "always" benefit from wearing lighter gear due to increased damage output, speed and maneuverability.
This is already the case most of the time but I think the gap should be increased further.

A faster game speed is more fun than a slower one. Unless you suck and never get better.
Most players agrees with that. Even the bad ones because it motivates them to become better.

A good example of a nerf gone wrong is the decreased speed of archery.
It should be fun to play. The difference between a good archer and a bad one dropped heavily with that change.

To compare it's like giving all horses the same speed and maneuverability as the plated charger. Fun? No.

Bottom line:

- Increase speed and maneuverability
- Increase weight penelties

Teamplay and pure classes vs hybrid classes

Teamplay is something that I think everyone wants more of. Who doesn't like to help teammates out and be saved by them in tough situations.
CRPG players are good teamplayers compared to players in other games on PUBLIC servers. I think there is room for much improvement here.

A big problem (teamplay and balancing) is the many hybrids, jack of all trade players, who can face cavalry with their pike, archers with their xbow and 1 handers with their flamberge.
Wouldn't it be more fun if you had to rely on the support of your teammates more?

Of course cavalry would do just fine on their own (me being one of them)... :)
BUT I'm willing to be useless on foot (not that I'm not already) and just be good at riding and killing people with my heavy lance.

Making pure classes stronger and hybrids weaker could be achieved by:

Increased weapon and armour requirements (strength, agility and skills).
That way you can't afford to put points in all skills without being "useless".

Another possible way to achieve the same thing would be to limit the number of skills you can have points in.
i don't know if that is possible to implement though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:11:05 pm by Riddaren »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: Game speed / Pure classes & hybrids / Teamplay
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:34:15 am »
The difference between a good archer and a bad one dropped heavily with that change.

How does a slower rate of fire drop the difference between good and bad archers?
If anything people now actually need to know how to shoot and not machinegun into the general direction of the enemy.
If you were actually talking about good and bad builds i agree, tho.

I was hoping that this was a discussion about the actual gamespeed you can set in the server config, sadly it is not  :(

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:36:08 am »
How is the increased number of suiciders (and sometimes suiciding leechers) and the removal of some armors and horses a good thing ? Plate already made you slow pre patch, it now not only does that but also makes you lose gold.

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:53:20 pm »
Hybrids don't really need a nerf unless they are my old friendgy hybrid the thing that needs nerfing is all strenght builds. Leave hybrids alone and add power draw for shows and make it so super strenght is needed for flamberge. Im ok with the archer and weight stuff though
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:01:04 pm by Centurion »

Offline Mak33

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »

Game speed

If I were to decide a good player should "always" benefit from wearing lighter gear due to increased damage output, speed and maneuverability.
This is already the case most of the time but I think the gap should be increased further.

I agree with this statement and you explained it well.  The gap should be increased.  I see too many "rushers" in full plated armor that charge for the crowd of enemies with a long polearm at start slashing away, getting many kills.  The reason they survive is because of their weapon speed, weapon damage, and amount of armor.  If one wear's chain or plated armor, there should be a larger gap in maneuverability, damage output, and/or weapon speed.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:20 pm »
Yeah, increased game speed sure is fun, when you got 80+ ping. Its like, manual block just loses its function in melee.

What is fun for you is not fun for others, a lot of people playing crpg have latency over 70

And yes, i disagree with the part that decreased speed for archers made the gap between good and bad archers smaller. If anything, the level cap + decreased speed has made most of the poor archers switch to something else. Pre-patch machinegunning was epicly lame.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:32:28 pm by [ptx] »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:36:40 pm »
It's realistic. People wore armour not because it made you some slow tank that would get obliterated by some halfnaked guy or gal that danced around them with fancy scimitar moves, they used it because it was effective.
For the really heavy armor (which is the only one that actually makes some people night unstoppable) you pay about 2k upkeep, so I don't see how it should be fair when someone in 0.5k repair armor should be more effective?

Offline Mak33

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:40:58 pm »
It's realistic. People wore armour not because it made you some slow tank that would get obliterated by some halfnaked guy or gal that danced around them with fancy scimitar moves, they used it because it was effective.
For the really heavy armor (which is the only one that actually makes some people night unstoppable) you pay about 2k upkeep, so I don't see how it should be fair when someone in 0.5k repair armor should be more effective?

Wait wait, so you're saying wearing a leather jacket and leather boots isn't much different than wearing full plated armor over your body, arms and legs?  That wouldn't slow you down a bit?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:44:31 pm »
Fastest game-speed in native is awesome.

Fastest game-speed in c-RPG with our ability to abuse builds and design our own characters would be utter fail.  Full agility 2h/pole spammer on fastest speed setting would be full of downs.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »
Wait wait, so you're saying wearing a leather jacket and leather boots isn't much different than wearing full plated armor over your body, arms and legs?  That wouldn't slow you down a bit?

It does slow you down now. Considerably. On top of that, the protection, unless you're being whacked by peasants or nonheirloomed 1h cutting weapons, is quite underwhelming. I bought it once to test, and well, I at least expected it'd work against ranged spam better. To my surprise I died to exactly to the same amount of throwing projectiles as I did in mail... namely, two. Sometimes I'd die to three, however.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:56:49 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 06:56:28 pm »
I'm not saying that armor doesn't slow you down (the effect might be very exagerated in many games/movies, though) but that it should be more effective when it is more expensive (balance). Ofc. we could also have a game where light armor is better and let agility chars pay speed fines instead, or maybe the armor wearer is paid by the smith, might be an advertisment thing or something.

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 08:24:19 pm »
I think there should be ranks of armor like:
we have super light and cheap clothes, light and thick clothes, medium and weak clothes and etc...whatever, i am too lazy to type

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:04 pm »
what we need is different types off armor, ex. plate armor, leather armor, mail armor... where the different types have different abilitys against the different types of dmg (blunt,pierce,cut)