Author Topic: Which weapon is best for a hoplite?  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Phalanx300

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Which weapon is best for a hoplite?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:57 pm »
In the picture shown, the hoplite's weapon is closer in length to the light lance. Also, if used in the proper underarm grip would have more reach than the light lance in game by a bit. :X.

I don't know what you are trying to say.

Not really, the Warspear seems closer in lenght. How do you mean proper? As in in-game? Or that its inaccurate? As the overarm way is the actual proper way mostly for Spear/Shield users in History.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »
you need 100 WPF to use a weapon as the stats are listed.

What do you mean by this?

That hoplite you build looks interesting. I've thought about something like that, but I figured splitting amongst 3 wpfs would just break the build. How are you managing the slots though? Shield + 1h + 2 throwing lances?

Assuming no armour is worn. Need a bit more to compensate for weight wpf penalty.

I don't know, I plan on using a Broad Short Sword, which is 102 speed. I think ~100 wpf is enough even after wpf penalties. I was more worried about the pole wpf, since their attacks are quite a bit slower especially stacked with the shield penalty.

Phalanx, my understanding of a Hoplite (and I may well be wrong), is that they usually carried pretty long spears and switched to short swords in close combat. I'd imagine the spears they use would be longer than the war spear, and the light lance doesn't seem that far off.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:12 pm »
Phalanx, my understanding of a Hoplite (and I may well be wrong), is that they usually carried pretty long spears and switched to short swords in close combat. I'd imagine the spears they use would be longer than the war spear, and the light lance doesn't seem that far off.

Well, yeah.

But Hoplites and Phalangites are two different things.

Ancient Macedonian Phalanx used veeery long spears, while Greek Hoplites had way shorter spears.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:50 pm »
@ Aristea

Yes, 100prof is enough. My previous 21/15 build had 109 pole prof, 105 onehand prof (or something like that). Never felt like I was disadvantaged in terms of weapon speed (I used a grosse messer).

Also, if you're willing to drop 4-5 points of IF you can put that into riding.

With that, there is a huge variety of play styles available to you. I find it to be the most general and effective hybrid builds, mostly due to the variety of onehanders and polearms compared to the other weapons.