Author Topic: Testing Siege map, please help x'(  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
Testing Siege map, please help x'(
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:11:20 am »
Hey guys xD, this is my first post. I've been working a map (siege map) and want to test it out, however It doesn't show up under the siege game mode when I try to host a server. Perhaps this is because I made if from the map which was initially Ruins, which wasn't siege compatible. At any rate, could anyone tell me how to make it into a map playable in the siege game mode? Thanks everyone xD!

Also... weather settings are very confusing since many aspects of weather don't seem to save properly. So is weather (sky maps/lighting/etc) generally handled by the server? Thanks, I apologize if I ask any silly or unclear questions.

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
Re: Testing Siege map, please help x'(
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:20:15 am »
I use the module system where you add a new map and choose it's properties, so I can't really help you there. But I imagine you have to choose a siege map from the start to edit. You can easily try it by adding some small thing to an existing siege map and see if you can host that one (and spot the thing you added). You don't have to bother with the weather for cRPG maps, it's controlled by the server and database (magic in other words).

Does the map show up under some other gametype?
Monkeys!

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »
Yikes I sure hope there is a way to change it to siege since I put a lot of work into this map. If I were to edit a siege map and try to host it it would definitely work, and yes the map works for other modes like: Battle, Conquest, etc.

Thanks that's really good to know about weather, it was starting to frustrate me xD
*on a side note when u submit the map can you tell the server your desired weather settings or do admins just make it up?*

Thanks for the quick responds Jacko, I really appreciate your help ^^
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:36:58 pm by Branches »

Offline Jacko

• Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:37:12 pm »
Get the module system working. If you have an .sco file saved with your map name it's just a matter of putting that name in the right places.. Sort of.

The weather is "random". There is weather system, just look at the top left corner on your character page and you'll see what time it is, if it's raining and what not. No way (AFAIK) to effect the weather otherwise. Raindance perhaps =)

Monkeys!

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »
oh sooo mayhaps i could transfer my map somehow into this "module system" u speak of? ... and not lose everything? xD

Offline Jacko

• Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:49:00 pm »
Actually you wont even need that (the scene chooser), take a look in: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112508.0.html.

Don't ask me to explain it, cause I'm fairly new to it myself. But you need to add the name to the three files he mentions in the beginning:

module_strings
module_scenes
module_scripts

Under the section "Creating a blank scene", the process is explained (which is the same for adding siege maps, only in a different place then the battles scenes).

Good luck!
Monkeys!

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »
wow yea i think this is exactly what i was looking for ^^

unfortunately it seems the images depicting what text to enter to make your map a siege map are no longer hosted, but I think I can probably figure it out now!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH JACKO! this is perfect xD

*and if i can't get it to work i guess ill be back xD*

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:39:59 pm »
    Okay interesting, I got it to host as a siege map but I think the Module System which Turanian suggested using is set up for Native not cRPG. So it replaced/changed files in my special Editing_cRPG module making it essentially into a native module now (luckily I backed up my old Module file before doing this).

So the map works but not entirely since it was designed in cRPG. I'll have to try to figure this out, perhaps there is a special Module System for cRPG that I'm not aware of which I could use. Or I could figure out what else I need to change besides that one section in the module_scripts file to get the map working in cRPG.

I also don't understand why I can see the scenes.txt and strings.txt files properly just by opening them in notepad from my Module folder but not the scripts.txt file. The scripts.txt file looks completely different then its module_scripts.py counterpart(unlike the others).

I'll keep trying to figure this out but if anyone has any pointers or suggestions I'd love to hear them xD
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:41:27 pm by Branches »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »
+1
You can simply replace an existing siege map. Replace its .sco file and overwrite its terrain code in scenes.txt and you should be good to go.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »
   Oh, you mean just by changing the name of my map's .sco file to that of a pre-existing siege map and overwriting it? Then I would just overwrite that old map's terrain code in scenes.txt? Is that correct? I'll try it out that sounds WAY easier xP

Thanks for the tip zagibu ^^

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »
That took about 30 seconds and worked perfectly! Problem: SOLVED!!! 

Thanks for the help guys, you've both been great xD

Offline Jacko

• Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:24 am »
Haha zagibu, that's an EPIC solution in comparison to mine, kudos! 
Monkeys!