Author Topic: Suggestion: Siege Preparations  (Read 609 times)

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
Suggestion: Siege Preparations
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »
I'm new to Strat, but I have a suggestion for the new version. I know these kind of changes take time, so this is long-term.

I propose a system where investing a castle takes significantly more time than it does now. Raiding and capturing a village with no walls is one thing, but to take a castle should take up significant resources and time for the attackers. I'm talking about being frozen there for at least 48 hours, maybe more. Also, there should be some special items/supplies needed to imvest a castle, such as shovels, tents, battering rams, towers, etc... that must be in the army inventory befoe initiating a siege. This would make longterm planning more important and allow for counter attacks.

My reasoning behind this is twofold: in reality, most sieges took months if not years. Also, this would prevent bigger clans from blitzing smaller ones sooooo easily.

Any input is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:58:59 pm by hotcobbler »
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: Suggestion: Siege Preparations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:42 am »
I'm new to Strat, but I have a suggestion for the new version. I know these kind of changes take time, so this is long-term.

I propose a system where investing a castle takes significantly more time than it does now. Raiding and capturing a village with no walls is one thing, but to take a castle should take up significant resources and time for the attackers. I'm talking about being frozen there for at least 48 hours, maybe more. Also, there should be some special items/supplies needed to imvest a castle, such as shovels, tents, battering rams, towers, etc... that must be in the army inventory befoe initiating a siege. This would make longterm planning more important and allow for counter attacks.

My reasoning behind this is twofold: in reality, most sieges took months if not years. Also, this would prevent bigger clans from blitzing smaller ones sooooo easily.

Any input is appreciated.

Already in game really. The 24 Hour thing is mainly so clans have a day to react and plan for battles.

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
Re: Suggestion: Siege Preparations
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:27:44 am »
I guess I should clarify my intent with the items: these are things that are necessary to initiate an attack on a town, as in, withouth X# of items in your armies inventory, you don't even have the option to attack. These items would be placeholders, in that they do nothing but allow you to attack. Also, I think they should be relative to the number of troops you have, i.e. every 2 troops need 1 tent, every 500 troops need a latrine, etc... This would make the cost of large armies scale up quickly, as they would do historically.

Also, I suggest a minimum wait time of 48 hours before a siege can be fought. I would be happy with longer times as well, possibly depending on the size of the city (maybe by population?) This is to allow time for the army to fully invest the town, i.e. dig ditches, build fences, set up a fortified camp, etc... Also, in terms of the game, it would allow relieving armies to have a chance to join the battle. This was also often the case historically.

I know not everyone is into the realism thing, but in my opinion it would add a layer of immersion to the game and also make large battles more strategic. If a castle can be relieved by an army that's over 24 hours travel time away, you need to pick your strikes or use deception or multiple strikes to achieve your goals. I just think it would make things more difficult, and thus, more interesting.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.