Author Topic: Looking for direction on throwing build  (Read 1193 times)

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Looking for direction on throwing build
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »
i honestly have no idea what a good throwing build looks like, especially in this patch. I'm not sure on its viability, but i'm interested in throwing/2h. if anyone good direct me towards a build or help me out with this, it would be much appreciated.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
Re: Looking for direction on throwing build
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »
Before patch it used to be PT = damage and accuracy so the be a good thrower you needed a strength build with with 8+ PT.

Now it seem that PT doesn't influence accuracy as it used to, i don't see much difference in accuracy using Jarid of javelins.

So a balanced build with lots of wpf in throwing might be necessary to attain decent accuracy.

Some testing need to be done, but if it's the case that mean you can't have both damage and accuracy like you used to and you've to invest the majority of wpf in throwing making thower weazker than they used too pre-pre-patch. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:13:10 pm by Brutal »

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »
I have 135 WPP and 5 PT so far... Using Javelins and 1 h / 1 slot sword as backup weapon.

Hmm... I would not say i am very accurate :) I can hit a stationary target, if i am standing still, from several meters. If someone is raising a ladder, i might hit them from the wall, but only 2/3 times. Even if I "calculate" the distance and the angle of my throw - my crosshair is just too wide.

My personal suggestion: 100-130 WPP, 5+ PT. Use at close range, get ready to engage in melee. If you want a pure thrower, with no backup weapons - use War Darts, and get as much PT as possible. 8+ would probably do fine.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:39 pm »
I'm still running around with my pre-patch character with 11 pt and not enough wpf to use it.

Got 123 wpf, so I'm guessing about 10 effective wpf, maybe 9.

Works great with war darts. Kill most archers in 2 hits and wounded players in 2-3 hits. I can hold my own, usually getting 1:1 or 2:1 kdratio.
That's with 0 athletics and no armour.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:12:56 am »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still wondering what the required wpf/powerthrow to be relativly accurate with good stopping power.Really, a full build with all things spelled out would really help my noob self out. also if i were to switch to using a 1hander(katana class) with my thrown weapon, what would be the requirements in wpf/powerstrike?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:53:24 am by LAGIACRUS »

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:45:11 am »
also wonderin whats the best thrown wep to use? i like the look of the jarid. Will they be fine?

Offline Hisagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saints of War
  • Game nicks: SoW_BS_Toby_Moogle_King, sK_BlackHawk
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:52:56 am »
Throwing lances or Heavy throwing axes

Hisagi's Den of Gewdies

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:33 am »
I have never done a foot thrower build, but I made this dude as a STF kind of gimmick test character:

* Strength: 21
    * Agility: 12
    * Hit points: 70

* Attributes to skills: 2

* Ironflesh: 7
    * Power Strike: 7
    * Shield: 0
    * Athletics: 4
    * Riding: 4
    * Horse Archery: 2
    * Power Throw: 7
    * Weapon Master: 4

* One Handed: 95
    * Throwing: 115

And I'm having a real blast with it. On horse I take 3 throwing spears(so you get 4 per stack), and usually the cleaver 1h for 35 cut. Very excellent for taking out enemy horses once you get used to throwing on a horse. Because of the slow speed of the missile in flight I usually harass lancers with my 1h out, kind of act like an idiot if I can't kill them, then once they start chasing me switch to throwing and down their horse. Kills most unarmored in 3-4 spears.

Throwing can be used vs dudes with pikes if they are slow and lazy, or try and sit up on a little piece of terrain. It also functions as a perfectly viable 1h horse too, 4 riding isn't great but I actually find slower speed to be useful in making people over shoot me with slow maneuvering.

With 4 athletics on foot, if you take light armor you can still be plenty quick. And the Ironflesh could be converted to anything if you want. You're not going to rack up mega kills every round(although you can't really do this with any throwing), but you will kill a shitload of cav's horses and really piss them off. Hell you can even kill some HA now because of their brutal accuracy nerf.

MAJOR TIP NO MATER WHAT THROWING BUILD YOU USE:Turn off auto repair. You have to as a thrower. If you take 3 slots of the same throwing item and it breaks with auto repair on, you get a repair bill 3x. If you let it break, then fix it on the website you only pay once. Now this *might* lead you to play a round or 2 with a -1 damaged throwing weapon but it only drops the damage by like 3.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:33:41 am by Beans »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »
MAJOR TIP NO MATER WHAT THROWING BUILD YOU USE:Turn off auto repair. You have to as a thrower. If you take 3 slots of the same throwing item and it breaks with auto repair on, you get a repair bill 3x. If you let it break, then fix it on the website you only pay once. Now this *might* lead you to play a round or 2 with a -1 damaged throwing weapon but it only drops the damage by like 3.
exploit!

seriously, this is not consequent. either multiple items with auto-repair should be counted as one, or manual repair has to take multiple item breaks into account. Are u sure that it isn't like that now?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:01:44 am »
Going for this atm:

4 lance griefer(at lvl 30)