Author Topic: I'm Innocent, promise... :P  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: I'm Innocent, promise... :P
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 05:52:45 pm »
Sounds Similar to mine.
Engineering is tough(In the US they wish to make a standard degree have as much credits as a BS+MS). Though having a Masters goes further in this field.
(total schooling +interning= 8 years for just BS and job, 10 years if you do masters. Sucks horribly)

Ugh, I remember that from SOE... "This is a four year program, you will be lucky if you finish in 5."
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »
Ugh, I remember that from SOE... "This is a four year program, you will be lucky if you finish in 5."

heh most the people i graduated with were on the 5+ year track. I was one of the few who did it in 4.
(SOE?)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 06:25:34 pm »
heh most the people i graduated with were on the 5+ year track. I was one of the few who did it in 4.
(SOE?)

School of Engineering, my university decided to make all Engineering degrees a separate part of the university with it's own guidance advisors, administration etc. It was nice to have nothing but geeks managing geeks  :lol:. Though maybe they just wanted us far away since we had our own nuclear reactor....

Also, good job doing it in just 4!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:27:22 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Devilize

• Baron
  • Renown: 125
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • GOD WILLS IT!!!
    • View Profile
    • cRPG_NA Server info
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Devilize, Hospitaller_Devil_Eyez
  • IRC nick: Devilize
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 11:39:38 pm »
As a software developer living in EU (I'm also making games, Devilize knows at least one of them :D) I can confirm that. I'm making all sorts of software, from web productions to games and the most fun I have making games - but it's also the worst paid work with a lot of crunch times. It's also the only branche where you have to deal with angry customers of your customer.

I'd make the masters (at least in the EU) if I want to do more theoretical and specialized work. Otherwise it could make you over qualified, that's true.

IMHO nowadays it's not about programming languages but technologies. Learning a programming language is a matter of days, maybe weeks, but technologies and different libraries are a lot more complicated.

I'm so happy that The Guild 2 Renaissance is still being supported still, I'm wondering though if your company was going to take over in support of official server(s) for multiplayer, I know its off topic. I love the game though, it has so much potential I only wish the game had more of a mod community - seems a bit dry in comparison to PotES.

In the master aspect, your in the same boat as I, I desire it for my bosses job.

Last part, this is true, at this point I only need a book to reference syntax rules for any given language and I'm good to go, but technologies such as engines like the "Hero Engine" (being used for SWTOR) are sought after skill sets. If you can prove you have the skills you may have a job, only problem I see is that several technologies are not open to the public and require thousands of $ to acquire. Which means if your not already part of a company that is using it your not using it thus are not qualified. Course that's not true in every case but it is a situation.

I did want to add one more tip.

- Don't be overwhelmed when reading a job description with requirements or desires that seem godlike. This is the most optimal list that the business is looking for and 9/10 times will never find, If you can cover half the requirements, including the basics, on the list its worth submitting your resume for.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:41:11 pm by Devilize »

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:04 am »
+2
Dear lord, this has became a tips on how to become a PC designer thing.

I like!
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 10:40:24 am »
I'm so happy that The Guild 2 Renaissance is still being supported still, I'm wondering though if your company was going to take over in support of official server(s) for multiplayer, I know its off topic. I love the game though, it has so much potential I only wish the game had more of a mod community - seems a bit dry in comparison to PotES.

That's because PotES has been released when the Guild 2 community was a lot bigger. :/
As for the MP-server issue: There are two options we're currently checking.

- Don't be overwhelmed when reading a job description with requirements or desires that seem godlike. This is the most optimal list that the business is looking for and 9/10 times will never find, If you can cover half the requirements, including the basics, on the list its worth submitting your resume for.

In German there's a word for that: Eierlegende Wollmilchsau, which means something like "egg-laying, wool and milk yielding pig" or "Swiss army-knife". I think everyone who is capable of all the requirements in a job description is too expensive for the company :D

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »
bump
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4