Other Games > ... and all the other things floating around out there

Unnamed project for 2018 aka The medieval game

<< < (2/7) > >>

Gravoth_iii:

--- Quote from: belda on February 02, 2018, 03:05:37 pm ---
Why OKAM fell into the abyss? fake EA trailer.

--- End quote ---

Over-ambition, desperation and lack of budget i would say, we didnt even get to see any sort of resemblance of what they promised because they didnt have the time to finish a rough sketch of it.
Over-ambition is the one that kills, it was the thing i worried about in OKAM from the get go, and this project seems to walk the same path. Not saying ambition is bad, but when you start painting this picture of a game (everyone does it and thinks they could develop a great game) and think that you can pull off so many aspects of it to make it all work together is a bit too much. cRPG works because in its core its just a battle server with rpg elements. Then they could expand on that to some bigger projects like strategus. Maybe even more depth wouldve been created were it not diverted to OKAM.

Good luck i suppose, but you will need a lot of time and moolah to build a enjoyable persistent world experience and have a playerbase in it if you expect to get it all roughly working from the get-go.

Xant:

--- Quote from: belda on February 01, 2018, 11:19:04 pm ---* There will be no user interface, you will not know the health points, the stamina or the adrenaline. You will not know your stats either.

--- End quote ---
Horrible, horrible idea. There is a reason user interfaces exist even in "hardcore realistic" games. There is no reason for not having an user interface other than wanting to annoy your players. In real life, I know if I'm healthy, I know how much "stamina" I have left, I know if I'm feeling pumped up, I know what my "stats" are, and so on. A game is not realistic for not showing me these things. A game is unrealistic if it doesn't show me these things.

Xant:

--- Quote from: Gravoth_iii on February 02, 2018, 03:34:22 pm ---Over-ambition

--- End quote ---
This was definitely a big thing. Epic was far beyond them from the get go, they sold a pipe dream that even AAA studios would've had an extremely difficult time delivering. They should've focused all their attention on a small scale arena mode -- make the combat feel awesome, build it like a fighting game except with "realistic" medieval melee combat, and then expand if you get enough sales to hire more devs.

zottlmarsch:
Will there be control on the main menu?

belda:
I prefer not to create hype, to do it with tranquility and with the best possible result. I prefer to talk to potential players rather than developers.

I am unemployed, I have knowledge, a computer and a lot of free time to work on this project. I have no budget and that bothers me, with 3500 euros could do what planned for 2018 in three months. So I'm working hard to start asking for donations. As a reminder ... The game will be free.

--- Quote from: Xant on February 02, 2018, 06:30:24 pm ---Horrible, horrible idea. There is a reason user interfaces exist even in "hardcore realistic" games. There is no reason for not having an user interface other than wanting to annoy your players. In real life, I know if I'm healthy, I know how much "stamina" I have left, I know if I'm feeling pumped up, I know what my "stats" are, and so on. A game is not realistic for not showing me these things. A game is unrealistic if it doesn't show me these things.

--- End quote ---

A realistic game would reflect everything in the character. Wounds, hunger, cold, fatigue, everything will be reflected in the character, through animations and sounds. Do you prefer a few bars that tell you what's going on, removing the immersion to the game? It's more work but it will be worth it

--- Quote from: zottlmarsch on February 02, 2018, 06:51:25 pm ---Will there be control on the main menu?

--- End quote ---

Of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version