Author Topic: Unnamed project for 2018 aka The medieval game  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Unnamed project for 2018 aka The medieval game
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 02:39:07 pm »
>Im going to create a perfect game alone that none before have successfully created, its easy just needs a bit more work than normal!

Good luck me boi, sounds like a lot of dreaming and not a lot of creaming though, whatever that means.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 02:47:45 pm »
Oh and dont make the mistake of taking Xant post seriously and engaging with him.

Xant's point is more than valid though. No UI is a stupid, false portrayal of realism and immersion. Just like forced headbob. I don't need to look at my body to see where it hurts, or listen to the growling of my stomach to tell that I'm hungry. This whole trend of no UI = more immersion is dumb and isn't really popular anymore. Don't even know who mainstreamed it, dayz? Well we all know how that one turned out.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1758
  • Infamy: 1975
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:10:39 pm »
Why would you try to make such a game when nobody is going to play it?

I am unemployed, I have knowledge

If that is true, use that knowledge to get a paid job. Fuck video games, especially fuck making one which nobody going to play since you're never going to finish even 1% of what you've imagined in your head.

Debbie downer I know, but this is terrible idea from the get go. Games are being made by huge teams who struggle to create something that works. Two people making huge complex game is madness and simply not possible.

When you are unemployed first thing you should stay away are time sinks like gaming which distract you from the fact that you can't pay the bills. There should be a law forbidding unemployed people to play video games and waste time on things they can't afford.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:19:35 pm by Leshma »

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 779
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hello Kitty Clan (aka 'Clan For Fun')
  • Game nicks: Porthos_Woodstock, InvasionOfGiganticLANDCRABS, Random_Nobody, cRPG_Addict and many more
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »
+1
listen to butan and go at it, belda. just prove them (well, "us" cus me included :lol:) wrong
don't be just another dreamer crushed by the dull sceptical mass
(click to show/hide)
<=== thanks to Tiny_Glancer <3 (never click on that image)
I'm not sure if ships are ingame
You Can't Kill Me

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 12:19:39 am »
It spent years hyping people up with the promise of a persistent world with jobs, tasks, tournaments, entertainment, commerce, politics, conspiracies, gestion, death ....

Really? I couldn't give a fuck about that bullshit. The problem was that they started with a pretty good thing and then decided to roll back or mess with features that worked okay.
Alpha had responsive combat and nonintrusive UI, team color coding, a good gamemode. Come Early Access they managed to break the combat, overcomplicate the gamemode in which course they introduced too many bugs, rolled back a bunch of features, performance went down the drain and to top it off the first thing the new "dev team" did was add fucking lootboxes.
Yeah, I don't think it failed because it couldn't deliver a persistent open world or whatever, it failed because it turned from a hopeful alpha to a shit game.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:23 am »
+1
Yeah, I don't think it failed because it couldn't deliver a persistent open world or whatever, it failed because it turned from a hopeful alpha to a shit game.

It failed for both those reasons.
Those who wanted a Strategus/Persistent World, and those who wanted a overhauled Warband combat system: those two groups (and most had some interest in both) had a lot of reasons to be disappointed.
Even if the development team had had more time and money and could have had all issues resolved, the rollbacks and performance issues for the combat, and the very slow and borderline scammy appearance of a barebone Strategus killed 98% of the early buyers.

Its very important to not over-reach and please your customer base by delivering on most promises at the very beginning, in a timely fashion. Otherwise it becomes exponentially harder to keep a game alive, and even more to continue developing it.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:20 pm »
+1
OP is probably chadz anyway
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 06:43:44 pm »
+2
Well you must understand all the semi negative feedback lol, this thread gave us vietnam flashbacks: okam edition.

However I wish you all the best, being motivated and being your own manager are probably most imporant for such a project.

Hey and if you keep working hard on it you might release it even before Bannerlord
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 08:11:32 pm »
+1
I was expecting him to ask for 50 euros.  :lol:.

Even if I think it's highly likely you will not succeed in making what you want to make, I will still wish you luck, by some miracle you may achieve all of that. Plus at least you are being constructive and it will be a good learning experience for you. One thing though, you state there is perma death, and items pass down, does that mean you'd have to "train" every new character too? seems tedious lol.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »
+1
The good thing is if OP is making this project just for himself and his own interest, there's no danger of overreaching and disappointing any customers.

If OP is wanting to make something commercial and posted this thread to try and get interest in the project before it's really been started in earnest, that's when things will be more judgemental from the outside.

Even free to play games have negative reviews my man. Everything is commercial.

Offline belda

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Matando guiris, como siempre.
    • View Profile
    • NovaSimulatio
  • Faction: Brigand
  • Game nicks: Otta
  • IRC nick: Steam: Belda
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 09:25:49 pm »
+2
I enter to read all the comments but I only answer doubts.

In the first versions of the combat system, the stats will be the same for everyone and can not be improved. When the combat is polished we will connect the database and enable the improvement of the stats. The event will be known as the release of persistent world, world closed to the outside, you can not leave the walls of the capital, will be large and constantly developing. We will do the exterior in 2019, counties, forests, mines, quarries, roads, rivers.

Every time you die you will appear with a new character with new stats. In principle will be fixed stats for the newcomers and the reborn. You will not start at "level 1." Then there is the possibility that it may vary if you are male or female, fat or thin, muscled or not. And if the game receives a lot of support, you can have a family in game, as progenitor you will be able to train your children (they will not be controllable until you die, but you can take them to war and fight by your side). If you do not have a ingame family, you can create an heir.

In public this right now is smoke, in private I'm excited. I thought it would be much harder to do the animations, they are cool. It will cost more to make two-handed weapons and polearm animations.

This week I will finish the first version of the combat system, one-handed weapons, attacks and defenses, with shield and without it. IK foot placement system. I will try to have a multiplayer version and EU server ready although I can not promise anything.

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 01:12:21 am »
+3
you've come to the worst possible place to share your ideas brother

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 02:22:48 pm »
+2
So the plan is to make OKAM's persistent world, a goal that was far too ambitious for chadz's team when backed by a sponsor, with only two developers with no game dev experience. Where can I throw my money at?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 02:26:28 pm »
+1
Good luck! You're gonna need it  :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline belda

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Matando guiris, como siempre.
    • View Profile
    • NovaSimulatio
  • Faction: Brigand
  • Game nicks: Otta
  • IRC nick: Steam: Belda
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 03:38:06 pm »
So the plan is to make OKAM's persistent world, a goal that was far too ambitious for chadz's team when backed by a sponsor, with only two developers with no game dev experience. Where can I throw my money at?

In okam you "could" build a village, a castle or a city. Not here. Here you can maintain a building already designed by the developers, being able to make small improvements.

That okam system was very complex and takes a long time to be perfect.