Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov  (Read 33196 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Escape from Tarkov
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:22:57 pm »
Anyone play this recently? Is it good? How does it compare to DayZ (which is fairly decent these days)?

PS this thread is better than the other one because it's made by Saxon and has a bad title
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Escape from Tarkov
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:23 pm »
It's Early Access, in'it?!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:58:27 pm »
DayZ is not decent, it's super boring. Sometimes I start it up out of nostalgia for the mod version, but shut it down after playing for 15 minutes because most of DayZ is just a walking simulator. And there's really nothing to do. Survival is super easy because there's food and supplies everywhere, and zombies aren't even a threat since there's like 5 of them per town and fists are super effective if you know how to use them. PvP can be fun if you have people to team up with, but if you play alone, you'll just get sniped out of nowhere or ganked by a kiddy clan. I guess DayZ is one of those games you're supposed to play with friends to enjoy.

I'd happily buy Escape from Tarkov if the season pass wasn't so fucking expensive (€110). I'm not going to buy the basic version, because the presence of the season pass means that there will be DLCs. As much as much as I hate DLC, I can't fully enjoy a game knowing that there are some things unavailable to me, especially in multiplayer.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
+1
DayZ (which is fairly decent these days)?

Is it though? Every time I check the changelogs I just think how disappointed I'd be if I actually cared for the game. I played it a couple of months ago and it still felt like a mess. Taking them forever to do shit. Sure they're fighting an uphill battle with the garbage arma engine but come on. No really visible major changes to the game since it came out with early access years ago (apart from maybe the fps boost in that one patch).

As for Tarkov, I only watched some streams but it looked somewhat decent. Didn't see much though. Definitely going to wait for full release or something, see if it'll die just like many early access dayz clones.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:40:06 pm by Vibe »

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »
+1
Did you misspell Kharkov?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:26:32 pm »
Is it though? Every time I check the changelogs I just think how disappointed I'd be if I actually cared for the game. I played it a couple of months ago and it still felt like a mess. Taking them forever to do shit. Sure they're fighting an uphill battle with the garbage arma engine but come on. No really visible major changes to the game since it came out with early access years ago (apart from maybe the fps boost in that one patch).

As for Tarkov, I only watched some streams but it looked somewhat decent. Didn't see much though. Definitely going to wait for full release or something, see if it'll die just like many early access dayz clones.
Yes, it's not bad right now, they seem to have fixed the worst desync/lag issues which was always the biggest problem. There's still not much to do, but the PvP is fun because dying is a big deal. I've uninstalled previously because of all the lag deaths I had but so far about 20 hours in since last week it doesn't seem nearly as bad.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:32:43 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »
How much disc space does the game take? I might consider buying it, but I don't know if I have enough transfer left to download it. Requirements say 8GB, but it's probably more than that.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:25 pm »
DayZ as a whole is definitely much better now than it was a year or so ago. They've removed most of the canned food and hunting + cooking is now actually a requirement, rain is a real challenge, etc. And so far people actually die instantly when you kill them instead of lagging out for a bit first.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 01:21:56 am »
How are the zeds?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 03:10:47 am »
How are the zeds?
Somehow, the same as they were a few years ago. Annoying because of their glitched behavior and if you have to shoot at players near buildings, but non-issue other than that.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 05:33:52 pm »
The worst is basically behind, be it the MLG bots 360 headshotting you, the lags, massive performance drops, etc. There are issues to solve still, like the armor system not properly implemented yet (AP 9mm round can pierce through a tier III armor like butter), the lack of incentive to bring decent gear in a firefight, the absence of VOIP, movement clunkiness, lack of KoS penalties (especially for same-faction dudes) and so on. I haven't touched DayZ, so can't really tell.

Overall, it's shaping up slowly but surely, and the devs listen to the feedback. I personally can't wait for the skills + scav faction  to come in.

http://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/17888-a-short-video-on-new-scav-faction/

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 10:07:35 pm »
+1
I think they won't get rid of the movement clunkiness, that's a feature and a point of pride for these "realistic" games, for some reason. Moving like you're 300 kilos overweight is super realistic, you see.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 11:10:04 pm »
Well, I'd hope they get the movement system close to rainbow six siege's, which both makes sense and has some fluidity attached to it. As I said, it looks like they're listening to the feedback, so good hopes there.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 03:58:54 pm »
I think they won't get rid of the movement clunkiness, that's a feature and a point of pride for these "realistic" games, for some reason. Moving like you're 300 kilos overweight is super realistic, you see.

Now that I've played it, I actually really like Tarkov's movement and gunplay. It has the best customization out of any FPS I've played, too -- scroll wheel to decide movement speed, scrollwheel+C to decide how tall your stance is, three different ways of leaning (normal, slow, long), blindfiring around corners, lots of stuff you can do to your gun (check if there's a bullet in the chamber, check magazine to estimate amount of bullets, etc). Not to mention the different door interactions, which it seems they'll add even more of.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:37 pm »
Biggest problem with the game atm, is that barely anyone wants to do the outdoor maps.

Majority of the gameplay videos are in the factory.