Author Topic: Leave or stay in the EU?  (Read 78755 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Leave or stay in the EU?
« Reply #645 on: June 24, 2016, 05:13:02 pm »
As a Scotsman who voted to Remain, obviously i'm absolutely devastated. Scotland, as a country, voted to Remain in the EU. Literally, every area in the country voted to Remain in the EU.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

During the Scottish independence referendum, the 'No' campaign argued that in order for Scotland to guarantee it's EU membership, it would need to remain apart of the UK. That notion undoubtedly induced fear into the politically uninclined voters (apparently they didn't know the UK couldn't guarantee EU membership because they were holding a fucking EU referendum the following years) and swayed them.

I'm a research scientist at a Scottish university, and this involves a lot of collaboration and involvement within the EU. I don't have time to write about everything wrong with leaving the EU, so I won't try and argue the case with anyone here. Ultimately, I am forecasting an economic decline for the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-scotland-referendum-eu-referendum-result-nicola-sturgeon-latest-what-it-means-a7099286.html

Fortunately this outcome now justifies another Scottish independence referendum, so don't worry guys, we will see you again soon.

As an economic research scientist how do you justify Scotland leaving the UK if you think the UK leaving the EU was a detriment to it's economy? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the english economy can withstand both leaving the EU and Scotland leaving better than the scottish economy can withstand leaving the UK. How much trade exactly does Scotland have with the rest of Europe, as opposed to England? I was under the impression it was 100% centered on that sweet hydocarbons money, that Scotland could become a pseudo-Norway easily when not "saddled" with England (lol).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:19:12 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 24, 2016, 05:17:09 pm »
If instead you mean I'm not in touch with the 52% of the country that exists outside of my county then yes. I'm in touch with the values held in the general area around London, Oxford, the Midlands as a whole. I must admit i'm less in touch with the over 60s demographic (y'know, the 'common man')

Clearly only old racist whites who haven't embraced the future. That's probably why Birmingham, that stronghold of old racist white people, voted majority for Brexit. Strange how a 10% proportion of the entire population was entirely responsable for Brexit. Oh well, you can tell yourself that the right side of history will win out eventually, because they will die out to be replaced by the "values" you hold so dear. It's not a common feature that the radicals of today are the staunch conservatives of tommorow, because people never change their perspectives or opinions with age.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:20:15 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 24, 2016, 05:20:33 pm »
I've corrected my post, your first point is right.

I don't quite catch your drift. The UK government can veto a Scottish referendum, that is right. It would be seen as highly undemocratic, and nevertheless, they can't prevent Scotland from holding an emergency referendum. Part of our devolved powers (Scotland has a devolved parliament; ala Scottish Parliament), as well as the SNP's manifesto, allows us to hold an 'emergency referendum' if the fate of our EU membership is contested because of the UK. The UK can not actively stop this.

I'm not sure if that's what your post was referring to, but I hope I answered it regardless.

You find me unaware of those "devolved powers" mechanics  :mrgreen: 

Offline tizzango

• Earl
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 24, 2016, 05:26:16 pm »
+2
As an economic research scientist how do you justify Scotland leaving the UK if

I'm not an economic research scientist, sorry I thought that might've been clear- I study cognitive neuroscience. I've since edited my initial post.

I was just trying to allude that universities in the UK sometimes apply for funding from institutions that are based in Europe, and how this directly affects me (as well as many others universities in the UK).

You find me unaware of those "devolved powers" mechanics  :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32810553
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:08:35 pm by tizzango »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 24, 2016, 05:28:02 pm »
Problem with EU falling apart is that NATO will significantly weaken and maybe even fall apart itself. Finland would be crazy to leave EU, considering how close they are to Russia...

While EU is weakening, Putin is tightening the grip on his own Union. But you're too busy to notice that.
EU has nothing to do with Finland's defense.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #650 on: June 24, 2016, 05:31:44 pm »
+1
As a Scotsman who voted to Remain, obviously i'm absolutely devastated. Scotland, as a country, voted to Remain in the EU. Literally, every area in the country voted to Remain in the EU.

During the Scottish independence referendum, the 'No' campaign argued that in order for Scotland to guarantee it's EU membership, it would need to remain apart of the UK. That notion undoubtedly induced fear into the politically uninclined voters (apparently they didn't know the UK couldn't guarantee EU membership because they were holding a fucking EU referendum the following years) and swayed them.

I'm a research scientist at a Scottish university, and this involves a lot of collaboration and involvement within the EU. I don't have time to write about everything wrong with leaving the EU, so I won't try and argue the case with anyone here. Ultimately, I am forecasting an economic decline for the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-scotland-referendum-eu-referendum-result-nicola-sturgeon-latest-what-it-means-a7099286.html

Fortunately this outcome now justifies another Scottish independence referendum, so don't worry guys, we will see you again soon.

We will finally be rid of you highland hillbillies  :P. This vote is all kinds of fucked up regardless.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 24, 2016, 05:33:22 pm »
The nation state strikes back across the board and the refusal to be absorbed by third world mass-immigration and the wish to retain a national identity is being noticed by politicians everywhere in the western world. We know from numerous studies these things matter to people on a biological level and instead of necessarily embracing it or fighting it it is only rational to reconcile with it and accomodate it in public policy.

Yes, let us march towards collective irrelevance and internal strife. The ideal future for all Europeans.

Now honestly, do you genuinely think nation states the size of Finland and the UK (soon to be split into however many parts) have control over their own destiny beyond highway speed limits in the real world? Because I don't. For 60 years the world has increasingly made small states irrelevant and incapable of dealing even with their own localized problems, by virtue of being increasingly interconnected, and not only through moving populations. As for the real, big global issues coming up, nation states only offer to make the problems worse.

That much is true regardless of chimp brains. You think you have an argument, but what you really have is an excuse.

If instead you mean I'm not in touch with the % that exists outside of my region and age-group then yes. I'm in touch with the values held in the general area around London, Oxford, the Midlands as a whole. I must admit i'm less in touch with the over 60s demographic (y'know, the 'common man')

It just means you are dishonest and not real, according to Farage anyway. Say whatever you want about the actual positions, this guy's speeches are to puke at.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 24, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »
You see that yellow blob in the midlands around London and to the west of it?

Can we come with you?

Yes, of course.

I don't blame the indyref No voters. There was a lot of uncertainty and doubt over the prosperity of a divided UK, for sure.

I'm gonna leave this here for everyone:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 24, 2016, 05:36:53 pm »
+3
Yes, let us march towards collective irrelevance and internal strife. The ideal future for all Europeans.

Now honestly, do you genuinely think nation states the size of Finland and the UK (soon to be split into however many parts) have control over their own destiny beyond highway speed limits in the real world? Because I don't. For 60 years the world has increasingly made small states irrelevant and incapable of dealing even with their own localized problems, by virtue of being increasingly interconnected, and not only through moving populations. As for the real, big global issues coming up, nation states only offer to make the problems worse.

That much is true regardless of chimp brains. You think you have an argument, but what you really have is an excuse.
What does "destiny" even mean?

Obviously small states have to work with other states, their policies might even be strongly influenced by those they work with, but it's still a far cry from having laws dictated to them by someone else, or told how many immigrants they have to take or how much money to pay to Greece.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:48 pm »
Eh "Belgian" upset and angry at national sovereignty, what a surprise. Maybe that little spiel is accurate for your "country", but you'd have to be fucking retarded to compare the UK and Finland in the same sentence in any way. Think real, real hard, and maybe you could come up with some of the important ways in which they differ and how this might affect their economies in relation to staying/leaving the Euro. I understand why you'd want to put your "country"'s situation as representative of the varying nations now part of the EU, though. There really isn't anything to get back to in your case.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 24, 2016, 05:49:24 pm »
Yes, of course.

I don't blame the indyref No voters. There was a lot of uncertainty and doubt over the prosperity of a divided UK, for sure.

I'm gonna leave this here for everyone:

Democracy is a bitch.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2016, 06:04:37 pm »
Problem with EU falling apart is that NATO will significantly weaken and maybe even fall apart itself. Finland would be crazy to leave EU, considering how close they are to Russia...

While EU is weakening, Putin is tightening the grip on his own Union. But you're too busy to notice that.

And why would that be?  NATO existed long before 1993 and Putin's actions just strengthen the raison d'etre for the alliance.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
    • View Profile

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #658 on: June 24, 2016, 06:15:16 pm »
+1
HAHAHAHA why would you even say that in front of a camera? just keep it for yourself, it's retarded enough. "it's just a prank bro, it's a prank IT'S A PRANK STOP STOP GOD NO STOP"

also dunno if a repost

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:18:17 pm by darmaster »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 24, 2016, 06:17:18 pm »
And why would that be?  NATO existed long before 1993 and Putin's actions just strengthen the raison d'etre for the alliance.
Finland isn't in NATO either, so...
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.