Author Topic: Leave or stay in the EU?  (Read 78757 times)

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
Re: Leave or stay in the EU?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 01:18:59 pm »
Plus I herrd, not sure how true.. But some schools/colleges have been actively promoting the EU and its benefits to their students... Talk about indocrination, young minds ripe for brainrape.

Well, for the most part, whether they promote the EU to anyone except college is irrelevant, as most people in schools and colleges are under the age of 18; thus they cannot vote. However, I can say that we've not been told anything from either side, that's why they had the debate, so that everyone could make their own choice. I can't speak for other colleges, but mine certainly hasn't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 01:22:05 pm »
+2
A school/college teaching the benefits of EU is brainrape?

(click to show/hide)

Isn't that kind of their job? Making sure the students understand civic issues, not to mention history and social studies.

Everyone in the UK has skin in the game so I'd be really surprised if such a pressing issue wasn't discussed in schools. Quite a bit.
Using education authority to spread misinformation would not be at all cool however.

If they ONLY promote the EU primarily, yes, it shows a political bias, and that's not something that should be taught to children. If you were to show them the negatives and benefits of each side that is acceptable; however, promoting one side without speaking about the other IS an attempt at indoctrination. (It's the number one reason my College invited people from all the different parties to come and speak to us about each side in the debate)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:28 pm »
That's actually horrible. University should be a special place, like a school for wizards. Every university should be closed shell, doing everything on its own. More things should function like that, to keep balance with interchangeable parts that make everything today. Unique traits that once made this world beautiful are dying out under pressure of standardization.

University is just a door to work place; one you're out its every man to himself, and most shops (even gov ones) have "unique" traits that make this world beautiful (and hateful).
It make sense to have uni be standardized because the modern world need certificates for everything, once you got them everything changes.
But really, even uni can be special places  :mrgreen:

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:39 pm »
I daily thank the EU for the micro-USB-standard for phones.

Tell that to Type C!

Edit: And lightning cables!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 04:12:47 pm »
Tell that to Type C!

Edit: And lightning cables!
I wonder why an engineer would even come up with "Turning plug 180° too hardcore, need to make it more universal."
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 04:12:51 pm »
+1
The whole educational system is a complete and utter atrocity to actual knowledge, basing whether someone is worthwhile hiring off of a memory game alone (That IS all exams are; a memory game.) is ridiculous. My memory isn't so good that I can remember a billion different things for one exams, so I shouldn't get the grade I worked my ass off for? What kind of a system is that.

The whole educational system in the UK (Idk about anywhere else) is just a disappointment and mass failure. It swaps out equality for "If you have a good memory, enjoy the good life, whereas if not, have fun with your shitty life!". It's stupid.

But it's not like it'll ever be fixed, it'll just be an endless cycle of bullshit.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »
The whole educational system is a complete and utter atrocity to actual knowledge, basing whether someone is worthwhile hiring off of a memory game alone (That IS all exams are; a memory game.) is ridiculous. My memory isn't so good that I can remember a billion different things for one exams, so I shouldn't get the grade I worked my ass off for? What kind of a system is that.

The whole educational system in the UK (Idk about anywhere else) is just a disappointment and mass failure. It swaps out equality for "If you have a good memory, enjoy the good life, whereas if not, have fun with your shitty life!". It's stupid.

But it's not like it'll ever be fixed, it'll just be an endless cycle of bullshit.
umm... wut? :lol:

How is actually knowing stuff an "complete and utter atrocity to actual knowledge"?

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2016, 04:40:31 pm »
+1
umm... wut? :lol:

How is actually knowing stuff an "complete and utter atrocity to actual knowledge"?

It's not "knowing" stuff, it's REMEMBERING stuff. The system relies on EVERYONE having a perfect 100% memory and memorising  every fact in the books so well it doesn't ever go away; well not everyone is a sheep and not everyone can DO that. The system discriminates based on peoples memories as opposed to their actual skills, if I'm skilled at fixing computers, should I fail my exam because I forgot something? Or should I be judged based on what I can actually do as opposed to just remembering a bunch of bullshit that I won't even use outside of school or college? I can tell you right now that the majority of the shit I learned in School and College in relation to IT is going to do jack shit for me in the real world. They teach you almost nothing of import, they don't teach you taxes, they don't teach you about loans, they don't teach you how to write a CV, they don't teach you about things that you're going to be doing for the rest of your life that are of mass importance! Why?! Why is that the case? We SHOULD be learning about how to do all of that shit, why are we learning how to expand and factorise brackets when we could be learning something of ACTUAL import.

The short of it all, is that this system requires you to have a good memory, and if not, you can fuck off. That is how the system works currently, it judges you based off of your memory as opposed to your actual skills, and keep in mind this is also how EVERY business owner decides whether to hire you, I could be an expert programmer, but they'd just look at a sheet of letters, see that I got a D in IT and say "Nope, he's clearly not worth any time". This is how it works, these things decide 100% how your life goes, and that's not how it should work at all.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 04:42:52 pm »
Sounds like a valid argument for leaving EU, I'm convinced.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 04:43:14 pm »

If they ONLY promote the EU primarily, yes, it shows a political bias, and that's not something that should be taught to children. If you were to show them the negatives and benefits of each side that is acceptable; however, promoting one side without speaking about the other IS an attempt at indoctrination. influencing see also every single advert out there (It's the number one reason my College invited people from all the different parties to come and speak to us about each side in the debate)
Using the education system to implant political bias in young developing minds is a form of indocrtination. Educating people about the EU what it stands for what it does is fine, but to promote it positively instead of neutrally can be considered misleading. It's not too disimilar to a parent forcing their child to adopt their religion, I'm not trying to compare religion to the EU but it's the method that's similar. H1tler youth, cubs of the caliphate, children of the EU.  EU is creating hítler caliphate children, that's a fair and balanced view of the issue, not colored at all

I don't know what has been said there and in what capacity. I don't claim to. Yeldur has the best idea of us three, and it apparently was a debate with both sides well present at his school.

I'll bite on the neutrality argument though; If the EU just has more benefits than disadvantages, should schools still balance their teaching of the EU as if it was a +-0 affair? They should only be allowed to speak of a positive if they can also find an equal and opposite negative to EU membership?

Wouldn't that be a bias in itself?

Also would it be indoctrination to teach kids about the big bang without mentioning God? And Vishnu? And maybe a couple of others? And what about equal time!?

Indoctrination often refers to religious ideas, when you're talking about a religious environment that doesn't let you question or criticize those beliefs.
I'm pretty sure no one has been expelled for presenting a rational argument against the EU. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

See also: The lifelong process of inheriting and disseminating norms, customs, values and ideologies, providing an individual with the skills and habits necessary for participating within their own society. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialization

Learning how to be a part of society.. YE GODS STOP DOING THAT TO OUR CHILDREN. YOU ARE LITERALLY HÍTLER.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 05:06:50 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Learning how to effectively learn is the most important skill tbh.
Then you can learn about taxes, loans and how a proper CV has to look like.

And I disagree with "it decides how your life goes" thing.
You decide how your life goes with the way you handle situations, yourself and your attitude, other people.

Besides, I am in Academia and 90% of the stuff in my studies doesn't fly into my brain by itself. I put hard work and many hours into it.
Whenever you wanna achieve something, guess what, you have to put work and time into it. Doesn't really matter if you like or not - if you want it, work for it.
It has never been different.

(click to show/hide)

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 05:59:12 pm »
+1
Try Paris.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 06:06:17 pm »
+2
Learning how to effectively learn is the most important skill tbh.

and work ethic.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2846
  • Infamy: 628
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2016, 06:10:49 pm »
I daily thank the EU for the micro-USB-standard for phones.

It is being replaced by USB Type-C, new standard characterized by reversible plug. Very important trait in todays world full of morons.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1425
  • Infamy: 1080
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22:28 pm »
+3
University is just a door to work place; one you're out its every man to himself, and most shops (even gov ones) have "unique" traits that make this world beautiful (and hateful).
It make sense to have uni be standardized because the modern world need certificates for everything, once you got them everything changes.
But really, even uni can be special places  :mrgreen:

In attempt to standardize courses all over similar faculties in my country, they catered to lowest common denominator. Faculties with reputation for producing high quality students suffered because of this change. Now there is little difference between newly opened private universities and state universities in big cities. In other words, educational system of this country is now producing idiots all over the place, just because government had to pressure universities to strictly follow global politics and make changes accordingly. People on Belgrade university had to study hard individually or in groups they organized themselves, now they attend prolonged high school... team based learning, courses done in groups, awarding points for every little assignment, workshops... it is bullshit.

Don't even start me on certificates...