Author Topic: Why would I buy M:BG if you dont even fix bugs in your mod anymore?  (Read 23658 times)

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
Re: Why would I buy M:BG if you dont even fix bugs in your mod anymore?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 05:56:13 pm »
+13
Maybe the donkeycerw should make an official statement to hand over c-rpg to whoever is in charge now. List some names of the new c-rpg semigods. this would clarify the state of things and complaints could be channeled to the right people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »
+5
There's definitely a few good points to be found in the suggestions here. We'll talk about that.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 06:04:43 pm »
+4
at the moment their silence is palpable and it is quite clearly damaging the reputation of the dev team.

It's only damaging for the few people who draw a line that simply isn't there. We have to live with it, because the alternative (going back to maintaining cRPG ourselves) is catastrophic and leads in M:BG likely not being ever released.

If someone has a dumb opinion it reflects negatively on them as a person, wouldn't you say? You might as well be calling him dumb, but w/e

Not unless he does it all the time, no. We all do it sometimes.

But since the main source of suuport for M:BG is THIS community, lost of polularity of crpg is detrimental to M:BG.

That is not a very healthy and/or forward-looking approach. That is what we did with Kickstarter, and it did not work out very well.

Maybe the donkeycerw should make an official statement to hand over c-rpg to whoever is in charge now. List some names of the new c-rpg semigods. this would clarify the state of things and complaints could be channeled to the right people.

I definitely agree with this.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 06:10:08 pm »
+8
Get the community devs to fix at least the helmets, textures and auto-balance and then call it Version 1.0 and be done with it.
Organize a mainly error and bug free crpg final version and these kind of issues will never turn up again.

I don't need more items, better texture or what-not.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 06:22:34 pm »
+4
It's only damaging for the few people who draw a line that simply isn't there. We have to live with it, because the alternative (going back to maintaining cRPG ourselves) is catastrophic and leads in M:BG likely not being ever released.

Considering your failure to draw a large enough audience in your crowd funding campaign i would think you would want to take every opportunity to ensure your reputation was upheld by your standing work. It is damaging to more than 'the few people who draw a line', it's damaging to your project in the long run because it damages your reputation as it is still regarded as your work even if your not running it.  There are far better alternatives than you returning to full time maintenance of cRPG and i even outlined one in that post.

You guys need to manage your legacy because whether you like it or not it will effect the reception your work receives.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:26:50 pm by Casimir »
Turtles

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 06:36:55 pm »
+5
Considering your failure to draw a large enough audience in your crowd funding campaign i would think you would want to take every opportunity to ensure your reputation was upheld by your standing work.

That is the path to certain failure. We made a mistake by focusing primarily on the cRPG community and by ignoring others. We have to learn from that mistake and correct it, not repeat it on a larger scale.

Get the community devs to fix at least the helmets, textures and auto-balance and then call it Version 1.0 and be done with it.
Organize a mainly error and bug free crpg final version and these kind of issues will never turn up again.

The current maintainers are doing their best to fix what they can, but we have to respect that they work in their own time and we can't really force them to do otherwise. I'm sure that they wouldn't mind more help, but as we already experienced in the past searching for competent devs is a time consuming task that often leads to nothing. Moreover, many of the bugs in cRPG are not superficial and fixing them requires deep insight of the Warband Module System, something that is even harder to come by these days.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 06:47:20 pm »
+3

No more cmpxchg? No more the bad one? That's sad  :(

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:15 pm »
That is the path to certain failure. We made a mistake by focusing primarily on the cRPG community and by ignoring others. We have to learn from that mistake and correct it, not repeat it on a larger scale.

The current maintainers are doing their best to fix what they can, but we have to respect that they work in their own time and we can't really force them to do otherwise. I'm sure that they wouldn't mind more help, but as we already experienced in the past searching for competent devs is a time consuming task that often leads to nothing. Moreover, many of the bugs in cRPG are not superficial and fixing them requires deep insight of the Warband Module System, something that is even harder to come by these days.

Glad you wont be running down the same path again and it is clear that you guys learnt from the kickstarter campaign. However a wrapping up of cRPG affairs seems a simple enough thing to do that would leave your legacy untarnished by the current decrepit state it is now in. Issues with code / balance aside, visual bugs and model / texture related problem should be fixed. I'm amazed that that would require such unfindable talent or an excessive amounts of time.
Turtles

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:35 pm »
+4
We made a mistake by focusing primarily on the cRPG community and by ignoring others.

That's what we wanted to hear here and right now  :wink:

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »

is this done using Morgh's python module system in the wfas/wb editor?

Offline Krex

• Earl
  • Renown: 403
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
    • Steam
  • Game nicks: Krex
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »
is this done using Morgh's python module system in the wfas/wb editor?
No, they are using the normal module system( and WSE(2)), with something like morghs you couldnt implement anything close to cRPGs database connections etc.
Quote from: Tomeusz link=topic=45416.msg717346#msg717346
horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1944
  • Infamy: 2890
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 08:04:22 pm »
Neglecting crpg dicourages people to play it = less new players; less current players = less people moving swiftly to M:BG.

Does it, really? Patching few things would surely help but I have a feeling that support for cRPG ended a long time ago and that recent few patches, including famous revival patch are something extra cooked by player-devs.

If you ask me why I still play cRPG despite the fact it is broken in many ways and make less sense than ever, answer will be that I'm still having more fun than I have with other games my "rig" is capable to run. That probably goes for most of still active players. At this point it is borderline masochism, but alternatives such as native aren't better overall.

chadz said 3 months, even though I have a feeling that will take at least a year, it still isn't that bad because we have already waited for quite some time. And it's not like there will be no great games to keep you busy till then.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »
M:BG - "100% independent game being developed as the spiritual sequel to the popular Mount & Blade Warband mod cRPG"

Your words. As I understand this, cRPG is like your business card, so if it looks like shit (and it looks like shit because of last neglect) people think that your new project will also be a shit. Simple? Simple.

Excuses are irrelevant. It looks like a visit in service point, where you hear that you have to buy a new model in undefined future or fuck off because warranty and post-warranty repairs are impossible. Morons also don't grow on trees.
lol because they work on other game?

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:57 pm »
+1
But why is the community's super awesome suggestions are completely ignored by Mr. Whoeverisincharge ?
For ex. Merging eu1 and 2 was a pretty cool idea me thinks and 90% of the active player base agreed so.
Why aren't we informed with the reason it is being a stupid idea? That makes people -including me- think that devs dont give a shit about the community.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »
But why is the community's super awesome suggestions are completely ignored by Mr. Whoeverisincharge ?
For ex. Merging eu1 and 2 was a pretty cool idea me thinks and 90% of the active player base agreed so.
Why aren't we informed with the reason it is being a stupid idea? That makes people -including me- think that devs dont give a shit about the community.

Well one of the problems with this is that there is no "Project Lead" or "Fun Optimizer" of any sort in the current dev team. There are only item managers/editors/adders/advisers/w.e., item balancers, and scene editors (unless I forgot some). So if you want to optimize the fun in this mod, who do you go to? It currently doesn't fall under anyone's specified work load.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador