Author Topic: Dis Map Rotation Doe  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Horns_Archive

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Dis Map Rotation Doe
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:51 am »
+2
I like the cut of this guys jib.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:12 am »
+2
Odd, this map is one of my favourites, both as cav and infantry.  I never take that crazy bridge, just focus on the ford.  And it 'feels' that the ford has strategic value.  Dunno why.

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:59 am »
+2
Odd, this map is one of my favourites, both as cav and infantry.  I never take that crazy bridge, just focus on the ford.  And it 'feels' that the ford has strategic value.  Dunno why.

fjord*  :D

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:06 am »
+1
fjord*  :D
I'm pretty sure its a river.

Offline Snufalufagus

• Earl
  • Renown: 320
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Snuffy, Snufalufagus, Sexy Cupid, Charlie_Sheen Sir Lord Gentleman Snuffy
  • IRC nick: Snufalufagus
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 07:56:41 am »
+2
Any map that nerfs cav is a good map. :-P
Im your imaginary friend...

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 08:18:11 am »
+3
Not exactly the experience i had when i played it as cav on EU1, but okay. At least that's feedback worth reading and what map makers can work with.

I'm very surprised at that. People complain about archers and crossbows in NA but in EU they're alleged to be much worse. I can't complain all THAT much since I'm shit at map-making (tried hammer in source a few times and nearly killed myself) but all I can do is post my personal experience. A majority, or vocal minority of people complain about this map when it comes on in NA1, including myself.

I sympathize with the position of scene editors and Fips (whatever the fuck your title is) so I can't make much of a stink, but I've had little or no fun every time this map has come up. It's one of two maps that causes so many people frustration that it messes with teambalance since loads of people will simply not spawn in for the duration of the map. The other one is with the multiple bridges over magma.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 04:13:35 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

In my opinion this map would be a lot better if you:
1. Make the log bridge stone or wood (i.e. an actual bridge so you can fight on it without pulling your hair out).
2. Put in a land bridge, or a regular bridge at the fjord (or something that makes it so melee can cross without leaving their asses open to ranged for a good 5-10 seconds)
3. Adjust the spawns like they are in the picture (black dots) and make the master of the field like the red dots.

Also maybe a nice rustic log cabin or two for cover from ranged and to give the scene some atmosphere.

Now mind you I have never made a map for cRPG specifically, though I have done some for other warband mods, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt (and I am also just a plain old dumbass), but I see no reason why this map couldn't be great with just a few minor changes.

(click to show/hide)

Edit: Now that volcano map is one of my personal favorites, but it needs bigger doors at spawn (so many fuckweasles teamwounding) and either a net to catch the jumpers, or someway to auto-kill anyone that jumpes down with a horse.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:23:37 pm by Sparvico »
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Sir_Mahtin

• Count
  • Renown: 151
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • A man is and will always be just a man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Le Chevalier Occitan
  • Game nicks: Chevalier_Martin
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:37 pm »
+1
I like to believe a good map rotation is mainly made up of village maps, with a small amount of cav maps, and one big cav/small village in center map. That's just my thought though.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 04:52:01 pm »
+2
Not exactly the experience i had when i played it as cav on EU1, but okay. At least that's feedback worth reading and what map makers can work with.

Just fire all the battle map makers and spend one afternoon generating low elevation high smoothness random plains with varying degrees of vegetation and rocks then save them as maps.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 06:05:41 pm »
+2
Funnily enough there have been multiple map request threads that requested the comeback of certain single bridge maps, including the volcano map, I think exclusively made and supported by NA players. I personally never felt like adding them as I couldn't imagine the fun factor lasting much more than two plays after which the maps are just plainly terrible to play on. Fips went ahead and added the volcano map and unsurprisingly people don't like it much. It is not as bad as I gathered from the original screenshots though.

Personally I didn't like the map from the OP myself either. Water just slows people down and the combination of water and nearby cliffs make ranged really strong. I treasure the few people that make maps though and that is why I give a new map a shot very easily. I think it should be removed in its current state, but please explain to Thranduil what is wrong with it and what could be done to improve it. Mapmaking is a two way street and if you can't be arsed to try it yourself, at least help the people that can out by providing them with feedback. Feedback makes them better mappers and gives you better and fresh maps.

I can't complain all THAT much since I'm shit at map-making (tried hammer in source a few times and nearly killed myself)
Few other map makers compare to Warband's, it is very simple and requires no tech savvyness, I am a testament to that. I encourage anyone to have a go at making a map, if you follow the nice guide we have step by step, anyone can do it. The hard part is making a map that everybody likes, if there is one thing I have learned about maps for this game is that preferences vary wildly.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »
+5
The hard part is making a map that everybody likes, if there is one thing I have learned about maps for this game is that preferences vary wildly.
Tell me about it! Mine are some of the strangest and are every changing!  :lol:

Anywho, not being one for sitting back and doing nothing (unless I'm feeling very lazy, which is often  :P), I tried making some changes.

(click to show/hide)

Spawns aren't quite where Sparvico suggested, mostly because they were too close to the map edges, and the run distance was too dissimilar.

You can run for the cabin, or take cover in the trees. Just be wary of the map edge if you fight in the trees. It acts like an invisible barrier.

I haven't uploaded the new file yet. Want to see what people think.
And just to keep this thread from going too far off topic with my own maps, here is the link to my map feedback thread: http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/thranduil's-battle-maps-(feedback)/msg973432/#msg973432
Post suggestions and general feedback there. Thanks.  :mrgreen:

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 07:10:45 pm »
+1
Very nice thranduil. My spawn points were really just my estimation of what would allow both teams to reach the fjord at the same time, but that was also because i assumed the cabins would go in by the fjord (kinda one or two on either side). The way that you have it is actually quite a bit better though, since you remove fighting in water almost entirely.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 07:53:04 pm »
+2
The map is very large and requires melee to run very far to fight other melee on either a hill or in water which is very annoying.

We could code scooters for American infantry.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Horns_Archive

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 08:20:39 pm »
+3
We could code scooters for American infantry.

(click to show/hide)

only if we can give all the EU players uni-brows (the stereotype wars have begun)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:24:09 pm by Horns »

Offline PJ1020

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PJ1020
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 08:31:35 pm »
+2
Tell me about it! Mine are some of the strangest and are every changing!  :lol:

Anywho, not being one for sitting back and doing nothing (unless I'm feeling very lazy, which is often  :P), I tried making some changes.

(click to show/hide)

Spawns aren't quite where Sparvico suggested, mostly because they were too close to the map edges, and the run distance was too dissimilar.

You can run for the cabin, or take cover in the trees. Just be wary of the map edge if you fight in the trees. It acts like an invisible barrier.

I haven't uploaded the new file yet. Want to see what people think.
And just to keep this thread from going too far off topic with my own maps, here is the link to my map feedback thread: http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/thranduil's-battle-maps-(feedback)/msg973432/#msg973432
Post suggestions and general feedback there. Thanks.  :mrgreen:

Nice to see you care, thanks.