Author Topic: Cavalry rubberbanding with WSE2  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
Cavalry rubberbanding with WSE2
« on: January 27, 2014, 04:46:15 am »
+2
I've been having a really severe rubberbanding problem when playing cavalry with WSE2 beta enabled, ever since reinstalling cRPG around the end of December.  I've had the warband cav desync bug before, where you warp around the map until you let go of all your keys, but this is different.

Basically, once the problem starts, my character (this starts on horseback but if I get dismounted will continue on foot) will cease moving client-side and just perform the run (or horse rear, or whatever) animation in-place.  When I push down a new key, I teleport to wherever I'm actually supposed to be on the server.  This affects basically everything my character does, including typing.  I can type out a message, but if I don't tap a movement key, it won't appear server-side (at least as far as I can tell).  Also, when typing, whenever I hit the 'n' key, I get the 'too off balance to quick draw' message.  Once I'm dead, I can move my camera and spectate as normal.  The only caveat is that if I died while stuck, everything I type while dead won't show up until the round ends, even if I move the camera around.

I have never had this problem without getting on a horse.  Once I get on and it starts, however, I have to disconnect from the server to get it to stop entirely.  It will go away if I run into an object and wait a little bit, but it inevitably comes back once I start moving around again, regardless of whether I'm on foot or on a horse.  This includes (at least last time I checked) round changes.   I should note that this problem isn't intermittent.  It happens every time I get on a horse and have WSE2 enabled.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, changed ports, forwarded ports, changed firewall settings, done packet loss tests to my router to Google, and to c-rpg.net, and haven't found a problem.  I also ran the game without WSE2 and didn't have an issue.   As I thought this was a network issue originally, I took some network graph screencaps while I was playing with nothing network heavy in the background:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I went ahead and screwed around with the iUdpReceiveBufferSize and iUdpSendBufferSize parameters in the config file, lowering them to 32768 from 262144.  I didn't take a network graph, but it seemed to smooth out the network performance a little bit.  It unfortunately didn't help with the rubberbanding thing.

The only other potentially relevant thing I can think of is that I know I'm not the only one to get this, I believe Brontosaurus_FIDLGB mentioned having the same issue.

I'm also attaching the IRC log between me, Tydeus, and a couple other people as we tried to figure this out just in case I forgot any details.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:52:07 am by Xol! »
boop

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
Re: Cavalry rubberbanding with WSE2
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »
+1
This is cray.
Then only rubberbanding I get as cav is when I slow down, it will rubberband for ~5 seconds most of the time. It happens most often when enemies are near, so this is pretty gol'dern irritating.
VERY nice boy :)

Offline Xol!

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:15:35 pm »
+1
Well, that was enlightening.  I tried to FRAPS the problem, and just couldn't do it.  It wouldn't happen even though up to this point it has occurred every time I've been on a horse with WSE2 enabled.

I noticed something, though.  My look sensitivity is much, much lower when running FRAPS.  My framerate drops from 50 to 30.  That leads me to believe that the game logic loop and render loop in the engine aren't separate.

So... I turned off FRAPS.  The bug appeared within maybe five seconds.  I turned on FRAPS hoping that it would stick around but once my framerate dropped from recording it went away again.  I did catch a single teleport at the beginning of the video, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVohqMZ2Y4
boop

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:23 pm »
+1
Up until recently I hadn't had the problem (it used to happen 6+ months ago).  It happened again a few times yesterday while playing.  It only happens when you collide with something (or run over infantry), or brush past another horse. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xol!

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »
+1
Yeah I noticed collision seems to trigger it.  I haven't been able to pin down exactly how, but it seems different from the native horse collision bug.  It also seems to (occasionally) happen with regular terrain and just general changes in horse speed, too.
boop

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »
+1
yeah I don't think it's necessarily the collisions that trigger it, I'd guess it's the change in horse speed as well.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:40:42 pm »
+1
Try a different (or no) router dawg

At least try setting up a DMZ on your router, that fixes tons of stupid shit for me in online games
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
+1
It's the game dawg, wasn't happening for months and started recently (only noticed it a couple times).  Also before it started originally happening I had played (same hardware and network connection) for over a year without ever encountering the issue (riding a horse the whole time).  It only started after WSE2 came out, and it was fixed for at least 6 months.  Specifically I think it happened after they tweaked all the charge values of horses.  I only ride a courser, so only noticed it on my courser.  I know some other people posting were not on destriers or armored horses (they were also on light horses), so maybe it's a light horse issue only. 

There's been quite a few threads with lots of people saying that it has happened to them.  It's only really noticeable when riding a horse, and after colliding with something, and most of the time when you collide with infantry or brush past a horse, it doesn't happen (at least when it was a problem that was the case). 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:46:25 pm »
+3
this bug happens to me often when I bump people,  and ALWAYS when I use the swing animation of the long hafted blade on horse back.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
+7
I tried 2h cav with morningstar and shortened military scythe last week and I just wouldn't stop rubberbanding like crazy all the time. Unplayable.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 04:54:05 pm »
+1
this bug happens to me often when I bump people,  and ALWAYS when I use the swing animation of the long hafted blade on horse back.

Yeah the main time I see it, is after I've bumped an infantry player.  But again, most of the time it doesn't happen.  If it's going to happen, that's usually when it happens.  The other time I notice it, is when I "brush up" against another horse when we're going pretty fast (just barely miss each other). 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xol!

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »
+6
So came back to testing again today.  Came into the server, got the bug, flipped on vsync, bug remained, disconnected, tried to rejoin, got an application crash, relaunched, verified vsync was still on, joined the server, and I've been fine ever since.

Yay!
boop

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »
+1
so we activate vsync in graphics options and cross fingers?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Xol!

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »
+4
so we activate vsync in graphics options and cross fingers?

Yeah.  This seems similar framerate compensation rubberbanding bug that happened way back when WSE2 was first released.  Really variable framerate is what caused the bug the first time around, though I had a locked and stable 50 FPS, so I'm not sure what was triggering it now.  Vsync fixed it for me.  One of my friends (who didn't have the bug) turned vsync on and had the problem start happening to him, so he switched back.

I'd try it and see if it helps.
boop

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 03:48:25 pm »
+2
You're right. VSync fixes it. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:17:05 pm by Patoson »