Author Topic: Dear chadz and the Item Team  (Read 14239 times)

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
Re: Dear chadz and the Item Team
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:20 pm »
We dunno, you tell us ? It's been like this all the time pretty much, 2 years back  , 1 year back , all the same.

In any case , thanks for showing up and posting Meow, appreciate it.

At the release, or announcement w/e didnt chadz state that he and the team where already working on the engine for the past year or so? Or maybe it was one of the Q/A.. Idk.. Im sure it was mentioned somewhere.  :)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »
+2
What's your assumption on the timeframe since when the project has been going on?
My assumption is that concrete development started after the date this topic was made (June 24, 2012), when big plans were announced for cRPG.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/announcements/crpg-status-and-plans/

If they had been working on the project before that, making this topic was honestly stupid and deceptive, as none of the promised things have been realised to the slightest extent in 8 months. Whereas getting items into the mod has been an incredibly difficult and slow process since the first time my clan tried to replace the ugly native strange armor, at least that is what I got from Ujin on the subject as I wasn't there.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 10:42:49 pm »
As said before, item patch will happen just can't tell for sure when.

I guess that is the clearer answer we are going to get for now. Not that I dislike it, I understand the circumstances.
Nice to know that they will be included, that they are not being ignored.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48:51 pm »
+2
My assumption is that concrete development started after the date this topic was made (June 24, 2012), when big plans were announced for cRPG.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/announcements/crpg-status-and-plans/

If they had been working on the project before that, making this topic was honestly stupid and deceptive, as none of the promised things have been realised to the slightest extent in 8 months. Whereas getting items into the mod has been an incredibly difficult and slow process since the first time my clan tried to replace the ugly native strange armor, at least that is what I got from Ujin on the subject as I wasn't there.
I think I remember those, needed fixing because the spec maps were bugged so they were glowing and one was completely white?
I see your point it's just that not everything submitted can/will be added without adjustments and no matter what caused delays before, right now it's not something where it is about pressing a button to get the stuff in.

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:48 pm »
+1
Thank you for your honest answers Meow
(click to show/hide)

I fully understand that there are more important things to do, but surely you will agree, this playerbase will be the foundation of the new game.

A treat here and there would help keep the playerbase that will kickstart the wider playerbase....here. You have the rare opportunity to start a game with many people playing it. Don't waste it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
+14
So why all the downvotes?  What was so groundbreaking with Meow's posts that you guys didn't already know?  Was my reality check a little too harsh, was it the language that offended you?

Even before M:BG the devs had a lot better things to do than add more content (sorry if "pixel crack" offends you), and worry about balancing out the stats and cost.  I'm happy with the amount of equipment we have, it's actually quite a lot.  I don't see where all these complaints are coming from, if you're really that upset couldn't you create your own mod?

List of issues more important than new equipment:

Strategus issues (there's plenty)
New game modes for cRPG (strategus type siege mode to replace current siege mode, conquest to replace battle mode)
Removing and adding maps based on up/down votes
Releasing their equipment tweaks (especially in regards to the weapons and having different hit boxes and damage type based on where you hit with the weapon)
Getting the EU game play over to NA servers
Getting M:BG into an early alpha test phase for investors
?
More cRPG equipment, balancing those items stats and cost, retweaking after game play testing
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 01:05:37 am »
+5
You definitely are a massive shitposter.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 01:33:46 am »
Getting items into this mod has been problematic for a little longer than that project has been going on.

I know.

But it's the final nail in the coffin in this case.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:26 am »
Laziness, impatience and hubris.

(click to show/hide)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:40 am »
You definitely are a massive shitposter.

He's also right.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2013, 02:26:07 am »
He's also right.

I just don't get it why would someone give so much cash to ppl who couldn't balance mod is all these years...  :P
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:38 am »
I just don't get it why would someone give so much cash to ppl who couldn't balance mod is all these years...  :P

Who's giving cash to balancers? First time I hear of that.

Also, why are you still here if balance is so bad? I'll take it as a compliment.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:56 am »
+3
...conquest to replace battle mode)

Replace? I hope you got this terribly wrong.

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 03:00:46 am »
I dont think they'd actually replace battle mode if conquest mode was implemented. They would probably replace DTV or rageball if they're pressed for money.

Pock gobblers

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:31 am »
+59
The biggest issue is the legacy problem of cRPG. Both technical and organisational. It was never planned. Never ever. cRPG happened, was hit with success by surprise and has been always one step behind this from a planning point of view.

(click to show/hide)

For example the team, it was never properly organised. People moved themselves into a position by showing dedication, but those positions were  never defined, clear areas of work are completely missing. People just did. And sometimes people stopped doing. Stuff like that was never foreseen and accounted for.

It's the same for the technical aspect as well. Items in particular are especially problematic to put into a patch, because they have to be synched on the website and the game simultaneously. Sounds easy, but it isn't. If it would be a normal singleplayer/multiplayer mod, you'd just patch that shit, test it, release it. Simple as that.

In cRPG we can't even test patches properly because it all has to be in sync. This is why we (I in particular) are so reluctant of item patches - if something goes wrong, it could mean several hours downtime in best case, and a multiple day revert worst case.

Yes, this is far from optimal, and something I take full responsibility for. That's things we have changed for our future projects, because it really is horrible to work like that. Add a lack of spare time, and the chaos is complete.

As for items: we are grateful, the problem is no one is really responsible for them. Definitely PR problem. I've always wanted to streamline the way community models make it into the game, but I've never gotten to it. Again, I'm really sorry for that, and I know it's my fault. When I hear that someone is mad that his items are still not in the game, it's usually the first time I ever hear that they are there in the first place. My fault.

That all sounds overly bad, but there's also some good news: I do have a lot more spare time in the future, mostly dedicated for the new project, but I do intend to clean up some of the mess in cRPG as well - both technical and organisational.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:28:44 am by chadz »