Author Topic: My Problem with Guild Wars 2...  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
My Problem with Guild Wars 2...
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:45:02 am »
+2
I frankly think it's boring, my reason being the skill system. For me the skill system is boring because it's just a bunch of button mashing skills, a few skills you can customize but who really cares about them, and there's so much people using their skills on a monster and it's just a bunch of flashes of light and stuff for the whole 1000000 minutes it takes to kill the boss. What's the point? There's so many people... it's gonna die anyways.

Another thing with the combat--Allers and I were fighting that undead dragon thing like south of Lion's Arch, and it was so boring and stupid because it basically just killed one of us, we revived the other person, and kept attacking its foot, we both died, ran back, and kept attacking, repeat. It was so boring--we literally could've just stayed there doing nothing because our allies could have killed it on their own.

Honestly, how is PvP supposed to be fun if there are no unique builds or anything? Also, why does it really matter what weapons you have? It's not like anyone actually looks because there are so many people... I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I don't know how to explain it better.

I just miss those things from the original Guild Wars--unique builds, you can actually see your skills happening, cross professions, weapon skins and stuff kinda seemed more important, etc. I know I didn't explain this 100% for you to understand, but it's just what I think, and I just wanted to post this to share why I haven't been playing in a while and see what you guys think.

P.S. It might just be because I had huge expectations for this game after waiting for years and playing Guild Wars 1.

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
Re: My Problem with Guild Wars 2...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:42:16 am »
I still think that the #1 worst thing that can happen to a newly released game is its fan base having too large expectations.
I hope the same does not happen to Mount & Blade Bannerlord.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:04 am »
Yeah the large mass ganking of bosses is my main annoyance. The game just doesn't feel hard when 20 + people are killing a boss who isn't actually that strong but just has 100000000000 HP. The hardest bosses I've come across so far are the giants just because their area attack can sometimes come close to a 1 hit kill if you're not careful. But besides that there's no real challenge in it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:45 am »
+1
I actually found the whole combat system pretty damn boring. It may be because I have played way too many hotkey MMOs and I'm very sick of this generic combat system. But so little skills sure doesn't help it. I remember I had more fun playing a Sentinel in SW:TOR or Conqueror in AoC, actively having to use 30+ binds was fucking brutal :D

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:38:24 am »
I actually found the whole combat system pretty damn boring. It may be because I have played way too many hotkey MMOs and I'm very sick of this generic combat system. But so little skills sure doesn't help it. I remember I had more fun playing a Sentinel in SW:TOR or Conqueror in AoC, actively having to use 30+ binds was fucking brutal :D

Definitly D:

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:49:45 am »
+1
I frankly think it's boring[...]
I stopped reading there (actually, no I didn't...) and started to nod in agreement.

It's just boring. I wish there were more differences in gameplay when it comes to the classes: a dedicated healer, a dedicated DD, a dedicated AOE, a dedicated ranged, a dedicated tank... this "everyone can everything a little" ruins it for me.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:08 am »
I stopped reading there (actually, no I didn't...) and started to nod in agreement.

It's just boring. I wish there were more differences in gameplay when it comes to the classes: a dedicated healer, a dedicated DD, a dedicated AOE, a dedicated ranged, a dedicated tank... this "everyone can everything a little" ruins it for me.

Yeah after one playout with a char it got really boring fast, it needs lots of changes, especially to builds, gameplay ideas and stuff, but also a thing I don't understand that the party size is 5, and the game is called GUILD wars...

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
Yup. Grinded the shit out of this game in virtually every aspect: WvW, sPvP, tPvP, dungeons, etcetcetc and my final conclusion: boring as shit. Haven't touched it in almost two months now. Nothing new or revolutionary at all about it. If this was my first MMO I'd probably think it's the greatest ever but honestly, SWTOR had a more compelling story, DCU's combat in comparison is photoshop and GW2 is MS Paint (okay, a little harsh, it's probably GIMP and all the WoW clones are Paint but pretty much the same thing), GW1 has a better competitive PvP structure, and LOTRO's PvM had a better setup and was more fun than WvW.

I actually like the idea of limited skills where it's all about maximizing what you bring with you. The million-bar-skill-cooldowns-pots-etc makes it way too clunky and macro-friendly. The problem with GW is that there's nothing else beyond those limited skills. DCU has the same 5-8 bar skill setup but beyond that you had a plethora of mouse-click combos and a wide depth of combat with the lunging-beats-rolling-beats-blockbreaker-beats-lunging and block beats combos while combos do the most damage etc.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:34:11 am by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 10:38:29 am »
The problem with GW is that there's nothing else beyond those limited skills. DCU has the same 5-8 bar skill setup but beyond that you had a plethora of mouse-click combos and a wide depth of combat with the lunging-beats-rolling-beats-blockbreaker-beats-lunging and block beats combos while combos do the most damage etc.

True, I enjoyed DCUO PvP a lot when it came out. I wonder how the game is doing these days.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:37 am »
+1
True, I enjoyed DCUO PvP a lot when it came out. I wonder how the game is doing these days.

You basically have to buy all the expansions and grind the shit out of raids to get the new little items you can add to your gear in order to be competitive (they give incredibly MASSIVE stat boosts). It's retarded. Legends Arena is the best thing about that game (because it's the only place where combat shines on an even field with a controlled amount of players) but it's boring as hell after a while and there's nothing to it after you win hundreds of matches on the same 5 or so maps.

DCU proved that real-time, action combat works in an MMO setting and it's a shame that all these new titles would rather go with the "proven" WoW formula (with slight gimmick variations albeit).

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way and like what you guys are saying.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:11 am »
Yeah, I found it really boring too. I didn't even get a max lvl character and stopped playing. It's just that I've played a lot of MMOs with the same mechanics. I feel like MMOs need to get rid of something, maybe the xp system then focus more on basic combat depth amd content. Maybe have skills as "drops" that u could then customize to make it more gear-based, which would hoepfully make characters a bit more unique.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:26:01 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
It's just that there's something missing in this combat system.. it's even more boring than other hotkey combat systems I feel.. It's even hard for me to pin down what is missing, it feels like all the stuff you do has little effect on the fight

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 11:48:17 am »
It's just that there's something missing in this combat system.. it's even more boring than other hotkey combat systems I feel.. It's even hard for me to pin down what is missing, it feels like all the stuff you do has little effect on the fight
Yea, the effect on the fight is a good point to start, I think.
I played an Engineer and kept running around with the Flamethrower-Kit but I never had the feeling that I actually burn something. Every single skill feels like it's doing the same thing. Just popping up some damage numbers but w/o any feel to it, lot of skills seem replaceable and w/o any unique touch to it.
I am a Lineage 2 Veteran. After playing it for 3 or even more years I think I can say that about me. And there the skills are all fixed too but they are kinda unique to their class and race. And like I said before: I miss the actual necessity to have certain classes around to be a succesful party. Dedicated classes add so much more to party gameplay than GW2 can ever reach with their unified class-base.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:01:11 pm »
Yea, the effect on the fight is a good point to start, I think.
I played an Engineer and kept running around with the Flamethrower-Kit but I never had the feeling that I actually burn something. Every single skill feels like it's doing the same thing. Just popping up some damage numbers but w/o any feel to it, lot of skills seem replaceable and w/o any unique touch to it.
I am a Lineage 2 Veteran. After playing it for 3 or even more years I think I can say that about me. And there the skills are all fixed too but they are kinda unique to their class and race. And like I said before: I miss the actual necessity to have certain classes around to be a succesful party. Dedicated classes add so much more to party gameplay than GW2 can ever reach with their unified class-base.

Yeah exactly. It feels like there's no reactions to actions in this combat system. It's just actions, everyone spamming their own thing and there's little reacting to what is happening to you. There is some, but very little. Feels like everyone is playing their own game.

Also ++ for being a L2 vet. Awesome PvP right there.