Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125263 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1215 on: September 08, 2013, 11:17:14 am »
Finally managed to play the Prologue through. Tho the performance on sieges with lots of buildings and units is still crap... anyway...

So, while I played the last siege of the Prologue I was already happy seeing enemy archers on the walls when I approached them with my ladders. Considering the reports of everyone here, I thought it was a good sign.
Put my ladders on the wall, let my men climb up there and then their archers... attacked my Principes in melee :| They didn't retreat. Nope, charged me instead. After all my men climbed the wall, I send 2 troops of to open a gate. Enemy units following them on the ground. They stood below the gate and stopped me from taking it. So far, so good. I send another 2 troops to the 2nd gate. No enemies followed, seemed like they were glued to my main force on the wall. Gate opened.

Now I send 2 cav units in. Thought I check out the back of the city for more units. Stumbled upon 1 victory point while doing so. Then I noticed that another victory point wasn't far of. So I used 1 of those 2 cav units to go there and annoy the AI, maybe make them retreat from the gate I was trying to open and they were blocking.
So I took the 2nd of 3 victory points...

...and nothing happened.

(click to show/hide)

Basicly, I glued the enemy forces to my melee dudes on the wall while 2(!) light cav units took over the whole city. I was rather disappointed of the outcome. I actually thought that victory points had some kind of priority. There forces weren't even far off and the win counter was 100 seconds I think...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 08, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »
Seriously its just 2?

I don't know if I was going to get more than 2 or 3 friends to play but seriously? 2 is the max? That's lame. No way to mod that either?

Goddammit its like they're trying to shoot themselves in the foot with a fat boy. They're succeeding too.

Its like that (2 players max) since campaign coop has been implemented in the TW series.

Its much better like that, it would be too long to wait it out with more players. Also when a battle begins, you can only choose to control the AI or a small portion of the human army. If there was 5 players, it would be pretty overpowerful to share the army in 5 parts, or have the 4 others control the AI army. And when the 2 players clashes, if you want to control it your way, you're going to have to force the other players to just be spectators ?

But I would like the developers to try to think of a way to add more players in a coop campaign too; its just very hard for obvious reasons.

Basicly, I glued the enemy forces to my melee dudes on the wall while 2(!) light cav units took over the whole city.

I had something like that happen to me : attacked a small settlement which had a very small garrison, but a big ass transport fleet and even a navy. I glued their garrison to some of my men, while my general dismounted to their only victory point and took it. Bam all transport dead with their soldiers  :lol: hecatomb of thousands of soldiers in one stroke!

Its a bit too easy to capture victory points against the AI.

did you start this campaign before or after patch?

You think I need to start a new campaign to enjoy patches modifications?

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 08, 2013, 01:40:26 pm »
+1
I can confirm changes to a new campaign. Started my Suebi post-patch now and got insta-war'd by 3 factions in the first 5 turns. Not mention that I started out with a food shortage :?

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #1218 on: September 08, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »
If you have issues with FPS/Lag/Stuttering try this out, in general it should give you a boost, as long as you're not using a laptop 8)

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp-Core-Parking-a-better-way-to-Turn-It-OFF-m1861804.aspx

Basically it should make your CPU -- in windows 7 -- load even across your cores.

It works wonders for me in a multitude of games.

On your own risk though!
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 08, 2013, 04:15:09 pm »
It's a shame Rome 2 is in the state it is. It's gonna be a really good game in a year or so, with mods and patches. A lot of good about it, but man, did they fuck up lots of things too.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 08, 2013, 04:18:43 pm »
Pikes vs Naked Warriors (NSFW :D)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #1221 on: September 08, 2013, 05:16:37 pm »
This: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/83143-Possible-battle-map-and-campaign-lag-fix

has really done wonders for me. Why is truly beyond me, I compared the settings and did not notice any real difference, but the game went from sluggish on medium, to high to fluid on high to very high.
I also noticed that the turn times are much faster now, but I am not sure if that is due to the new campaign I, started in comparison to my old pre-patch campaign. The annoying campaign map lags are gone for good though.

Just tested this on a battle map and I can say that it eradicated the strange stuttering of units/animations and the battle runs smoother in general, awesome fix right there +1 Rogue.

EDIT: Just tested campaign map and that too is running a lot smoother.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:20:15 pm by Leesin »

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 08, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »
I had that shogun 2 folder, but game is uninstalled so I deleted it, skipped to step 2 then. and it says "change the 2 lines below" it doesn't explain at all how exactly you change them. could have just given us something to paste.

edit: realised what he meant, dam some people might be smart but bloody inarticulate. will see if this works.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:58:39 pm by Banok »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1223 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:28 pm »
+2
Its a bit too easy to capture victory points against the AI.

Pretty much why I've started ignoring them. I took a few settlements by just running some cav to the victory point and kind ruined it for myself. So now I just ignore them and actually fight properly as if they don't exist. Much funner that way.

That said, I just got the end turn crash of doom. Reloaded the autosave and of course no matter what I do as soon as I hit the end turn button I crash. Fortunately wasn't to far into the campaign but definitely need to make sure I keep a couple of saves on the go as well as autosaves. It's another problem that has cropped up in pretty much every TW game.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 08, 2013, 06:01:38 pm »
yeah I ignore capture points too.

also that crash of doom sound horrible if your in legendary as you cannot make additional saves, unless you maybe make back up of the files.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: September 08, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »
Yep its best to put some home rules about not exploiting every flaws of the AI.

I didnt feel the need to restart a campaign: I got a lot of AI diplomacy proposals each turns and got declared 2 times recently.

Could use the fix for stuttering/FPS/lags you proposed but I fear it might kill the perfect balance I managed to find so I will continue without  :P

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 118
  • Crève salope / Master of left spam
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_JackieChan
  • IRC nick: JackieChan
« Reply #1226 on: September 08, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »
With all of those mods i hope someone makes a mod compilation, would be awsome.

I still have to wait ages between turns still which is ennoying, am i the only one?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:42:48 pm by JackieChan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1227 on: September 08, 2013, 09:36:08 pm »
It takes maybe 30 seconds between turns for me. Until it gets as bad as empire I can't complain as at the moment it's simply because of the number of factions.

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1228 on: September 08, 2013, 09:47:46 pm »
It takes maybe 30 seconds between turns for me. Until it gets as bad as empire I can't complain as at the moment it's simply because of the number of factions.

It's alright in SP, the AI turn only takes 1 - 2 mins for me. Now MP is another thing entirely, where the AI can easily take up to 5 minutes and more(And this is with show AI moves disabled).
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #1229 on: September 08, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »
+2
I'm putting Rome on hold for the moment.

Started playing Napoleon: TW with Darthmod. First battle in the campaign was 6320 troops vs 9572 troops. Battle lasted 35 minutes and the AI actually drew a line and attacked me in a relatively cohesive formation. I still won with only 2000 casualties to their 8500, but it was much more interesting that anything I've done in Rome 2, and it ran smoother that Rome even with all the musket smoke and 16x AA. I hope to baby jesus that Rome 2 will manage this some day.

Of course the AI is still relatively dumb in Napoleon, but at least I can spot some effort there.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:59:43 pm by Ninja_Khorin »