Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125310 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #885 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:45 pm »
It's smashing when your phalanx is hit from the sides and back as well as the front. You have to move your Light Infantry to stop the mighty Iceni flank, at which point they will be eaten up by Handsome Heavy Chariots, oh your cavalry? enjoy the spears and counter cavalry charge, all the whilst your slow moving phalanx is being pelted with stones and confronted by some angry chest hair wielding cunts, meaning if they break formation to turn and face the flankers they will be attacked from the rear, leaving them no choice but to be flanked, I mighty, Iceni.

You try to flank the phalanx with an inferior force, it willl get overwhelmed by cav and hoplites. You try to flank the phalanx with most of your units, the phalanx will turn and the weaker side of your army gets overhelmed by cav and hoplites. You try to break your army appart any further for flanking purposes, it will just be overhelmed faster. Unless charriots can break phallanxes from the front now, I dont see how you would expect to win.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 31, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
Romans also get a gladiator unit, with twice the melee stats of any other unit.

slow sigh
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #887 on: August 31, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »
You try to flank the phalanx with an inferior force, it willl get overwhelmed by cav and hoplites. You try to flank the phalanx with most of your units, the phalanx will turn and the weaker side of your army gets overhelmed by cav and hoplites. You try to break your army appart any further for flanking purposes, it will just be overhelmed faster. Unless charriots can break phallanxes from the front now, I dont see how you would expect to win.

When your phalanx turn they are charged in the back by skirmishers and then either cut down if you force your unit to move away or they are locked into combat until they win, whilst the remainder of your force is killed by my superior force. We'll play in a couple of weeks when I've managed to get in a few sessions to learn the new features and units etc ( have a full time night shift job, a son and a girlfriend so it'll take a couple weeks to get in a few gaming sessions lol ) and hopefully I'll show you the Phalanx isn't the be all win all and that even cheap units of skirmishers can cause so much problem for a Phalanx that it can decide the outcome of the battle.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 31, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »
When your phalanx turn they are charged in the back by skirmishers

You try to flank the phalanx with most of your units, the phalanx will turn and the weaker side of your army gets overhelmed by cav and hoplites.

slow sigh

It had to be so, or the kiddies would cry.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 31, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »
+1
I'm just somewhat disheartened, though not surprised, that CA is still measuring unit effectiveness by coolness factor. Gladiator training does not form effective, cohesive military units. But Spartacus, so gladiators are twice more effective than military units actually trained for the job.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #890 on: September 01, 2013, 12:48:53 am »
I'm just somewhat disheartened, though not surprised, that CA is still measuring unit effectiveness by coolness factor. Gladiator training does not form effective, cohesive military units. But Spartacus, so gladiators are twice more effective than military units actually trained for the job.

I think CA don't know that gladiators hardly ever actually killed each other. I mean with such a historically accurate film like Gladiator, who could argue with such hollywoodness.  :rolleyes:
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 01, 2013, 02:34:19 am »

Maybe not cohesive units but a unit with very high attack and very low defense and morale would be realistic. Even though I dont think gladiators have ever been enrolled into any armies in history (except if they were rioting themselves) so its a bit hard to watch and enjoy.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 01, 2013, 02:35:23 am »

Maybe not cohesive units but a unit with very high attack and very low defense and morale would be realistic.

No. That is not how it works. That's video game logic.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Emotion

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 145
  • pls
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Friends with Benefits
  • Game nicks: Noodles
  • IRC nick: Noodles
« Reply #893 on: September 01, 2013, 06:16:07 am »
lol bunch a fucking whiny babies crying and bitching about a game they will have well over 100 hours game play on average.  :rolleyes:
Quote from: Testicleez
Noodles (Nibbles): One of my top dawgs. A godly c-rpg player and a chill ass muhfucka'. He's supposed to be adopting me once he gets married. One day I'll get him to order me a pizza… One day.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 01, 2013, 06:23:00 am »
lol bunch a fucking whiny babies crying and bitching about a game they will have well over 100 hours game play on average.  :rolleyes:

The very reason we're disapointed is becaue we're gonna play the game with all its flaws.

That said, it's the second time I see a battle end without the option to carry on and clear the field. It's worrying.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #895 on: September 01, 2013, 07:33:59 am »
+1
This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 2 hours

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #896 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:33 am »

Maybe not cohesive units but a unit with very high attack and very low defense and morale would be realistic. Even though I dont think gladiators have ever been enrolled into any armies in history (except if they were rioting themselves) so its a bit hard to watch and enjoy.

Well considering a lot of gladiators we're PoW's I'd expect they had a decent level of military training.
Turtles

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 01, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
So javelins have a range of 80, cretan archers 125, and rhodian slingers 150. That seems awfully low for the archers and slingers, only javelins really seem worth it. 

Well, remember that javelins have a much smaller ammo count, and the others can get some shots in on the javelinmen before they even close to throwing range. In a prolonged engagement I think archers and slingers should get their own back and then some.

Romans also get a gladiator unit, with twice the melee stats of any other unit.

Yeah, those dudes seem really buff. At least they had worse defence than triarii, shit armour and a smaller unit size, and I kind of assume they're an expensive elite unit.

In the video cretan archers on the wall fire at the charging gladiator unit, failing to kill a single man, until a friendly artillery kills two. They still dont loose any after running through the breach and chasing down two units.  :rolleyes:

Archers and slingers seem like a complete joke, unless you need them to kill horse archers you cant catch.

Well, if you look at the video, the archers actually only shoot a few arrows. Not sure what's going on with them, maybe it's a bug or they're distracted by something. I think they're definitely not behaving like they should there.
Don't.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #898 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:41 am »
Was going to preorder until I saw the 3 "bonus" faction bullshit.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #899 on: September 01, 2013, 03:58:36 pm »
+2

Quote from: Leesin on August 31, 2013, 09:18:22 pm
When your phalanx turn they are charged in the back by skirmishers

Quote from: Adamar on August 31, 2013, 08:55:45 pm
You try to flank the phalanx with most of your units, the phalanx will turn and the weaker side of your army gets overhelmed by cav and hoplites.

I see you fantasizing but I don't see you accepting the offer to prove your theory about how I wont kick your ass, you gonna battle me or not BRO?

You scared of the mighty Iceni bro? check out the fucking mighty hair bro

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:08:12 pm by Leesin »